Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 AM

13 posts, read 29,107 times

Advertisements

So i read that LA is the most air polluted city in USA. I was wondering how much of that pollution affects surrounding areas .

How is the air quality/water quality in the outer skirts of Malibu shown in the attachment i uploaded
Attached Thumbnails
How is the air/water quality in the outer skirts of Malibu California?-mali.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,946,733 times
In Decker Canyon---which is where your map indicated---I'd worry more about wildfires. The 23 highway there is tiny, twisty, with sheer cliff drop-offs. Cars go over the cliffs repeatedly, and the roads are very hard for fire engines to navigate.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM

202 posts, read 309,414 times
I used to live in Decker Canyon. The air quality was fine. The water was really hard. I agree about the fires. That was a huge concern all the time. I don't know about cars going over the cliffs "repeatedly" but it happened several times a year. There is a fire station in the canyon, but getting out would still have been an ordeal.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM

3,080 posts, read 11,028,615 times
I would not live up there due to the fire danger. The 23 is fun to drive if you like chirping your tires on every turn, and the descent to the sea is beautiful.

There is pretty much no air pollution except smoke from the wildfires during the season. Again, that place is terrifyingly dry during fire season. I don't even like to drive there during the Santa Annas. I can't imagine trying to live or sleep in that tinderbox.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
In Decker Canyon---which is where your map indicated---I'd worry more about wildfires. The 23 highway there is tiny, twisty, with sheer cliff drop-offs. Cars go over the cliffs repeatedly, and the roads are very hard for fire engines to navigate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini1959 View Post
I used to live in Decker Canyon. The air quality was fine. The water was really hard. I agree about the fires. That was a huge concern all the time. I don't know about cars going over the cliffs "repeatedly" but it happened several times a year. There is a fire station in the canyon, but getting out would still have been an ordeal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I would not live up there due to the fire danger. The 23 is fun to drive if you like chirping your tires on every turn, and the descent to the sea is beautiful.

There is pretty much no air pollution except smoke from the wildfires during the season. Again, that place is terrifyingly dry during fire season. I don't even like to drive there during the Santa Annas. I can't imagine trying to live or sleep in that tinderbox.

Is there a area in California [preferely SoCal] that is far away from the big city and where the climate is like the canyon while being safe from wild fires?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 PM

202 posts, read 309,414 times
The Santa Anas! Oh boy don't get me started on THOSE. You are so right.

I don't know about other areas in SoCal such as you are looking for (climate like the canyon, safe from fire). When I was there, just a couple of years ago, fire season went from summer to all year long. My husband managed a campground and people weren't ever allowed to have fires. All the canyons that I am familiar with were like that. The beaches are probably pretty safe from fires, although there was a fire in Malibu Canyon a few years back that jumped PCH. So....don't know.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonruger View Post
Is there a area in California [preferely SoCal] that is far away from the big city and where the climate is like the canyon while being safe from wild fires?
There is nowhere in SoCal that is safe from wildfires, except maybe the deserts like Palm Springs. The mountain towns and even beach towns like Ventura and Santa Barbara (which both have relatively clean air) have them. It's just a fact of SoCal life.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
There is nowhere in SoCal that is safe from wildfires, except maybe the deserts like Palm Springs. The mountain towns and even beach towns like Ventura and Santa Barbara (which both have relatively clean air) have them. It's just a fact of SoCal life.
what about norcal/central california?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonruger View Post
what about norcal/central california?
Can you narrow it down a bit? CA is almost 164,000 square miles!

Old 04-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Can you narrow it down a bit? CA is almost 164,000 square miles!
im tired of living in the big city, I want to get away from it . But i dont want to move to the middle of nowhere . Im thinking areas like the canyon because the weather is nice an its not polluted. I want a area that has great weather, no wildfires , clean air clean water, far away from city [but not too far]. Is this possible in California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles