Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Los Angeles 14 26.92%
Chicago 38 73.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,123,451 times

Advertisements

Chicago's core area (within 5 miles of city center) is more urban than LAs counterpart, but Chicagos middle and outer ring suburbs are clearly more bucolic than the counterparts of what you find in California. DuPage and Lake County feel like small town rural midwest more than Orange County feels like rural California. If that makes any sense.

Also, LAs red car line system led to a greater amount or pre-war compact railroad suburbs, the most obvious being Pasadena for example, but there are many others.

Because of topography, public lands, etc separate city from countryside/wilderness more clearly in California. Chicago has a a more gradual change from urban to rural, and a much greater distinction between city and suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Why is this in the LA forum? This has been done on the City vs City forum many times, and Chicago always wins by a lot. I personally prefer the urbanity of LA over Chicago.
It's specifically to gauge what the people who are familiar with Los Angeles feel.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
At the core: Chicago
20 minutes from Downtown: Los Angeles

Here's my thing. I don't think at all that Chicago is "way ahead" of Los Angeles. Why should I feel that way? because there are more skyscrapers in Chicago than LA? that's cheap. Chicago outside of the loop is easily less urban than Los Angeles in most parts. The fact that people from the East Coast complain about how "suburban" LA is is a testiment to the different styles between the Northeast and California...and their own stupidity. Also, people tend to overstate LA's sprawl. They speak of it as if Riverside and San Bernardino didn't exist 25 years ago. Those places have existed for a very long time, the "sprawl" really just filled in the gaps.

Chicago is much more central than LA is. That doesn't make it more urban. It just concentrates all of it's "urbanity" in a tighter core than LA does. LA more or less spreads it all over the place. Chicago most certainly "peaks" higher than LA does but LA carries it more consistently over it's size.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 PM

484 posts, read 871,817 times
Los Angeles, because it is more densely populated and more continuously built and developed beyond its core.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:25 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sorry, Quick Addendum to the Above:

If you're voting, please state what you voted for (and why if you can) as well as what neighborhood/part of the LA metro you reside in (i.e. Westwood, Historic Core, Bell, Glendale, Echo Park, San Pedro, Rosemead, Van Nuys, Boyle Heights, Huntington Beach, Pomona, etc.).
I'm not in LA, but am a LA County born, OC babied, IE native.

I stayed in The Loop last summer, and it blew my So Cal native butt away in terms of urbanity (and all that goes with it). No, I've never been to NYC.

Aside from the convenience of the train thing, I don't think I'd have much desire to live such a lifestyle, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Why is this in the LA forum? This has been done on the City vs City forum many times, and Chicago always wins by a lot. I personally prefer the urbanity of LA over Chicago.
As OP said, we're looking for the LA perspective. If it turns into TOO MUCH of a CvC type thread, I'll close it.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM

215 posts, read 490,993 times
I'll note I live in Westwood. Also an interesting side note that many people are unaware of is that LA has the third most highrises in the country behind NYC and Chicago. Now that is not the only measure of urbanity, but I like to point it out because a lot of people seem to think that places like Miami or Atlanta have way more highrises than LA when in fact LA has way more they just aren't all in the same location. LA's decentralization confuses people and skues the perception for many people, I personally like it because there is always somewhere new to explore. That being said I love Chicago and LA, I chose LA over Chicago because weather trumps all for me and after 24 years in Minneapolis I was ready to be done with winter.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Hey! I started this thread earlier in the CvC forum.

Core. Chicago.

Urban Area. Los Angeles.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 10,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sorry, Quick Addendum to the Above:

If you're voting, please state what you voted for (and why if you can) as well as what neighborhood/part of the LA metro you reside in (i.e. Westwood, Historic Core, Bell, Glendale, Echo Park, San Pedro, Rosemead, Van Nuys, Boyle Heights, Huntington Beach, Pomona, etc.).
This is why the poll doesn't make sense to me. Rosemead? Glendale? The city of Chicago proper is close to 3 million people. You couldn't compare any of these small cities to it. The only comparison that makes sense is the City of Los Angeles.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:25 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acp0 View Post
This is why the poll doesn't make sense to me. Rosemead? Glendale? The city of Chicago proper is close to 3 million people. You couldn't compare any of these small cities to it. The only comparison that makes sense is the City of Los Angeles.
There's no direct comparison of them. I said city or metro, and that I asked about your location to get an idea of how people from different parts of LA and its metro see the city in comparison to another.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
My definition of urban is the strength of the downtown core area. On that basis, Chicago wins hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles