U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-31-2007, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,663 times
Default Areas to live not too far from entertainment industry

Hello,

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to CA.
We're receiving alot of calls from agencies in CA for our 5 year old son to act/model. I am looking for an area that is not too far from the entertainment industry so we can get back and forth for auditions.
We don't want to live right in the area, because of course it would be way too much to rent a home, am I right?

Can you please tell me what areas are least expensive, nice to live in, has good elementary schools, jobs are available as well?...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,663 times
Can anyone can help?

Old 10-31-2007, 03:28 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,431,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needadvice2007 View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to CA.
We're receiving alot of calls from agencies in CA for our 5 year old son to act/model. I am looking for an area that is not too far from the entertainment industry so we can get back and forth for auditions.
We don't want to live right in the area, because of course it would be way too much to rent a home, am I right?

Can you please tell me what areas are least expensive, nice to live in, has good elementary schools, jobs are available as well?...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
What is your rental budget or housing price range?
What line of work are the adults in?

Also, try the advanced search for Hollywood, apartments, studios, audition, distance, commuting, etc. to get a few ideas for the forum to chew on. Broad questions like your original post might lead to wild goose chases and people telling you what you want to hear.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:14 PM

2,105 posts, read 5,392,237 times
the "entertainment industry" is all over the place. there are major studios in hollywood, culver city, santa monica, century city, and burbank (just to name those i can recall off-hand). producers have offices in all of these areas, and there are well-known agencies in beverly hills and west hollywood, and some lesser-known ones in the valley. the independent operators are probably concentrated near these hubs, but that certainly doesn't preclude them having offices elsewhere. tv production might be based at off-site warehouse "studios" in hollywood, downtown, or in light-industrial areas of the valley and other parts of town. so, when you say you "don't want to live right in the area," of where are you speaking?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:52 PM

723 posts, read 2,136,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needadvice2007 View Post
Can anyone can help?
I wouldn't move here if I were you.

No offense, but your child is one of millions who want to be doing child acting/modeling work. Unless you are financially well of to start with, or have some other reason to move to LA (you love awesome weather and are willing to give up the spacious backyard you have right now to get it), I'd say stay away.

Many people come to LA expecting to become actors. It just doesn't happen that way. Unless you're one of the 0.02% that are just "IN" then you'll spend a potential lifetime just trying to make a business of it.

Save yourself the hassle.

That's my two-cents. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2007, 06:33 PM

739 posts, read 2,362,489 times
Live your life, not your 5-year-olds.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:01 PM

1,398 posts, read 4,621,008 times
Please juggle all the comments here, and tabulate them with your particulars. #1, is your child an extrovert? A willing show-off? That truly is #1, because the child's love of performing and being center of attention is what will psychologically balance the child from the down-sides of this business, which is to say a huge rejection quotient. If your child loves being the center of attention no matter what, proceed. If not, the child is not psychologically equipped for this business. Any successful former child actor will verify this.

Then, is your child short for his/her age, and/or a slow maturer? This is actually useful for children in longer productions like films as opposed to day jobs.

Then, are these genuine offers of representation? If they are, great. Follow up on them. The only, and I mean only, out of pocket expense you should pay is for photography of your child. Hopefully the agencies should suggest discount photographers. Pay nothing else. NOTHING else. That's sort of the litmus test between reputable agencies and scammers.

Now, here's the two secrets of showbiz performers: persistence, and schmoozing. You, the adults, are in charge of these, not the child. Networking is the single most important skill you can manage for your child's showbiz career. Once your child is hired for a tv, film or commercial photography job, be the "stage parent" that every single person in production says is most desirable- the one that stays out of the way. Really. I'm a photographer, and advise parents only to help with their child if I specifically ask them to.

If you're still moving with this in mind, this forum really does have to know your income parameters. L.A. is an expensive place to live, and you don't get much for your $. Generic advice to actors and commercial models would be to live in Studio City, Burbank, the better parts of North Hollywood or better parts of Hollywood, for convenience to the studios, and to place one's self in a better position to network with your fellow showbiz types.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:45 AM

413 posts, read 1,266,050 times
First off, I wish you and your child all the best!!!

We don't have kids and we are moving to West Hollywood. I have heard that Hollywood has a lower child population than many other areas so that might be a little rough with finding close schools etc. But I am just speculating.

I'm sure you already know the entertainment industry is cut-throat. They will tell you your a star, then the next minute they don't recall ever meeting you. Remember it's a game/gamble and you have to play to win. Don't let anyone bring you down. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2007, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 15,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
If you're still moving with this in mind, this forum really does have to know your income parameters. L.A. is an expensive place to live, and you don't get much for your $. Generic advice to actors and commercial models would be to live in Studio City, Burbank, the better parts of North Hollywood or better parts of Hollywood, for convenience to the studios, and to place one's self in a better position to network with your fellow showbiz types.
The only area of those listed above with decent schools is Burbank (they have their own school district). There are a couple of decent elementary schools in Studio City, however, be careful to check the catchment areas where your residence is located (you may think that the "good" school across the street is going to be the one your child attends, but your street is the cutoff and you live on the wrong side and your kid goes to the crappy school back in North Hollywood...)

It is really important to know what the adults will do for a living once they get here. I might suggest one parent (if one doesn't work or is willing to sacrifice their job) move out with the child for a short period - stay in corporate housing (Oakwoods, Extended Stay, etc.) try to secure an agent (or a couple if you need one for TV, commercials, modeling, etc., though sometimes this is the same agent, sometimes they are not) and go on a few "calls" to see how your kid auditions, etc., before making any long term decisions about anything. I wouldn't change my whole entire life for a pipedream, especially uprooting and moving to an expensive, dirty, cut-throat place like LA, but that's just what I would do...

Old 11-03-2007, 08:23 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,784,692 times
I just want to add (in case you didn't know) that almost all of the money your child makes will be deposited into a trust account and they will get it at age 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles