U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:37 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,961,304 times

Advertisements

I've never hung out there much...although I do end up there periodically. I think the last time was about 4 months ago on a weekend. It was packed but eased up as the sun got low. Hollywood Blvd seems to have taken up the slack. I agree with it's heydey being the early 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 01:19 PM

274 posts, read 40,081 times
Melrose is sooooo last decade. It's OVER.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,258,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Hollywood Blvd seems to have taken up the slack.
I was driving south on Highland and tried to make a right turn onto Hollywood Blvd. Ended up having to wait quite a while because of all the pedestrians flooding the intersection. I just kept on thinking: Is this really LA? Or is it New York? Really nice to see how many people are out walking in that area both day and night.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 AM

26,362 posts, read 56,100,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
Why is Melrose ave so deserted? I used to go there last year and the place was completley DEAD.

Once-trendy Melrose Avenue shopping area losing its cachet - latimes.com

Old 09-11-2010, 12:13 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,049,177 times
It's been that way for sometime now, even during the week. Good to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I was driving south on Highland and tried to make a right turn onto Hollywood Blvd. Ended up having to wait quite a while because of all the pedestrians flooding the intersection. I just kept on thinking: Is this really LA? Or is it New York? Really nice to see how many people are out walking in that area both day and night.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:47 PM

787 posts, read 1,057,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
i think that the heyday of melrose was in the early 90s.
In terms of peak and trendy popularity (read: tourists) the early 1990's probably was Melrose's peak.

But for those not old enough to remember the 1980's take a look at this photo (see link) of Melrose in the 1980's. It's the storefront of Poseur's, a punk rock clothing store, which was a mecca for punk rock kids.

Poseur History - Page Three

In addition to all the punk rock kids hanging around, you'll notice furniture repair shops, dry cleaners, etc. It was not a high rent district at all....although that process was well under way by the late 1980's.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,049,177 times
I used to visit from 1980 to 1984 or so. WACKO, Flip, and the newsstand near the NE corner of Fairfax and Melrose (I think it was called 'Centrefold). You're right, it was hardly high-rent, but whatta great vibe, not to mention a great excuse to grab something at Canter's.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:58 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,493,404 times
Not to mention Aron's and Rene's record stores, within walking distance of each other, where you could find great used, hard-to-find imports for cheap or sell some vinyl if you needed some quick cash. Good times.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:50 PM

938 posts, read 2,577,636 times
I think the current decline is more related to the recession and rents, then it is with losing popularity/cachet. (Though, places like Downtown's Historic Core, Fairfax Ave south of Melrose, and Sunset Blvd in Echo Park are indeed gaining traction).

Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 PM

749 posts, read 1,005,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
I think the current decline is more related to the recession and rents, then it is with losing popularity/cachet. (Though, places like Downtown's Historic Core, Fairfax Ave south of Melrose, and Sunset Blvd in Echo Park are indeed gaining traction).
I also think the Grove has cut into Melrose's customer base.....although I personally can't stand the Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles