U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 AM

2,830 posts, read 3,355,782 times

Advertisements

Funny, I saw that LA Times article.

-I think the grove, americana, westfield century city, etc have all cut into it. Melrose didn't have to compete with so many lifestyle type shopping centers in the 90's. Plus the landmark theater at westside pavillion. They've scattered melroses hip and cool clientele.

-Plus the recession.

-Plus lack of parking.

If they aren't careful, I think the area could turn into another westwood village. Kind of a slippery slope once you start heading down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 02:51 AM

11,979 posts, read 13,346,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

If they aren't careful, I think the area could turn into another westwood village. Kind of a slippery slope once you start heading down.
I'm sure that many people in the Fairfax District, West Hollywood and Hancock Park would love for Melrose to become primarily neighborhood-oriented as Westwood Village has tried to be. (And, indeed, as Melrose was 30 years ago before it developed into a destination area)

The bubble and the recession are the only things that has kept Westwood Village from fully reinventing itself as neighborhood-oriented. I don't think there's any desire on the part of Westwood residents to make Westwood Village into a destination again. They'd prefer a Larchmont or Los Feliz model to a Promenade model.

Note that many of the vacancies on Melrose are from the city of L.A. shutting down the dispensaries.

Last edited by majoun; 09-13-2010 at 03:28 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 AM

10,391 posts, read 13,759,695 times
My thoughts are that like my family, many just head on over to the Fashion district and buy clothes. Funny how in the article it stated that many shops were buying at the Fashion District and then reselling the same stuff in their shops on Melrose. Not that I ever shopped on Melrose in the first place. Still why pay $50 for something you can drive a little further and pay $10 for? You can get a mans suit, a shirt, and tie at the fashion district for lets say $60 and the price increases the further you get away from their. By the time you hit the Hollywood area that same $60 suit is selling for $250. Still a deal to most people but not the same deal as you will find at the Fashion District.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:29 PM

2,830 posts, read 3,355,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'm sure that many people in the Fairfax District, West Hollywood and Hancock Park would love for Melrose to become primarily neighborhood-oriented as Westwood Village has tried to be. (And, indeed, as Melrose was 30 years ago before it developed into a destination area)

The bubble and the recession are the only things that has kept Westwood Village from fully reinventing itself as neighborhood-oriented. I don't think there's any desire on the part of Westwood residents to make Westwood Village into a destination again. They'd prefer a Larchmont or Los Feliz model to a Promenade model.

Note that many of the vacancies on Melrose are from the city of L.A. shutting down the dispensaries.
I haven't been to westwood in a long time. There use to be an olive garden between weyburn and le conte on westwood blvd. THat dates about how long I havent been there, lol.

-The problem over there was always access and parking.

I think melrose still has good name recognition. Didn't they get a lot of publicity from channels like E! or entertainment tonight, etc in the 90's?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:47 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,463,598 times
I think Melrose retailers were riding on their popularity as a tourist spot for foreigners way too long and ceased to be relevant to actual scenesters residing in Hollywood, Echo Park, Downtown. They became a parody of themselves, just as kitsch as the merchants on the Venice Boardwalk. The key question is what neighborhood will be the next Melrose? NoHo? Chinatown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles