Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 AM

4 posts, read 83,420 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just moved to LA from the Bay. I am currently living in Sun Valley next to the Burbank airport and it is too boring for me. I am a young musician and would love to live in an area that is close to the action yet affordable. I like going out on the weekends and being able to walk around everywhere.

I hear West Hollywood is filled with a lot of "fake LA" people who are snoody and cocky. Is this true? Is it super expensive to live in this area? Is everything walking distance? I am attracted to this place because I feel like it is close to all the action - music, nightlife, walkability, shopping, bars, etc., but far enough from sketchy Hollywood.

I heard Culver City is also a great city to live in. It is central in LA and you can take the bus to any place in LA. It is also cheaper than WeHo. I visited there but it wasn't too pretty. Is it a safe area? Is there much to do? Is it easy to go from CC to downtown, or to WeHo, or to Hollywood. I know it is pretty close to Santa Monica and Venice and Mid-Wilshire but the downtown itself seems a little boring.

Any people who know the area well have any insight? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
West Hollywood would be a good choice. Another place to consider would be Larchmont Village (LA City).

Old 05-02-2013, 11:33 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,393 times
Budget is a big factor to consider. It sounds like West Hollywood may better fit your needs (walkability, nightlife, but still safe) - can you afford it? Culver city also has some walkability and nightlife if you're right by downtown, just not to the level of west hollywood. and is cheaper.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliecarillo View Post
Hello,

I just moved to LA from the Bay. I am currently living in Sun Valley next to the Burbank airport and it is too boring for me. I am a young musician and would love to live in an area that is close to the action yet affordable. I like going out on the weekends and being able to walk around everywhere.

I hear West Hollywood is filled with a lot of "fake LA" people who are snoody and cocky. Is this true? Is it super expensive to live in this area? Is everything walking distance? I am attracted to this place because I feel like it is close to all the action - music, nightlife, walkability, shopping, bars, etc., but far enough from sketchy Hollywood.

I heard Culver City is also a great city to live in. It is central in LA and you can take the bus to any place in LA. It is also cheaper than WeHo. I visited there but it wasn't too pretty. Is it a safe area? Is there much to do? Is it easy to go from CC to downtown, or to WeHo, or to Hollywood. I know it is pretty close to Santa Monica and Venice and Mid-Wilshire but the downtown itself seems a little boring.

Any people who know the area well have any insight? Thanks!
I would say, yeah, West Hollywood is ground zero for the "fake LA" stereotype. I live right by Culver City, Palms actually, and yes Culver City is a great alternative for those looking to stay in the general westside region, and want somewhere walkable with shop, restaurants, nightlife, but without the "fake, glam" factor. You're also not that far from the beach.

I like Culver City and living around that area, but I see myself in the next couple years making my way up to around Pasadena/NE LA/foothills. After a year and a half in LA its my favorite "cluster.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,422 times
West Hollywood is going to be closer to the music scene in Hollywood. I don't think there's a big difference in rent between West Hollywood and Culver City proper. Palms is adjacent to Culver City and will be slightly cheaper than both places. It just depends on your budget and housing expectations.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
I think if you find Downtown Culver City boring...you probably won't be too happy with most the Westside ,even the areas by the beach don't really have that Weho/Hollywood nightlife feeling. Places are mostly spread out much more than they are on the Westside isn't really known for music venues or clubs for the most part .

I'm not really sure how it would be living right in West Hollywood...I lived in Hollywood close to West Hollywood..but pretty much everyone else in my building was mostly retired and Eastern European..the whole block was like that too. It's definately not the demographic you expect living in the middle of Hollywood..but there is a big Russian community in Hollywood. Even though I was born in L.A I didn't really know about that community until I moved there.

I'm not sure i'd worry about how the other people are that live around there. I'm not sure if most people would even fit the stereotype or not honestly..

Also the thing that's probably going to effect you most is the people in the building. If you get in some trendy remodeled or new building possibly filled with people that just moved here and think they are the next big Hollywood star , it's probably going to be a much different crowd than an older building where the people have lived there for a while.

A place like West Hollywood is going to have a bunch of people from different areas and tourists too.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:03 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,169 times
What about Loz Feliz/Silverlake? Or actual Hollywood?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think if you find Downtown Culver City boring...you probably won't be too happy with most the Westside ,even the areas by the beach don't really have that Weho/Hollywood nightlife feeling. Places are mostly spread out much more than they are on the Westside isn't really known for music venues or clubs for the most part .

I'm not really sure how it would be living right in West Hollywood...I lived in Hollywood close to West Hollywood..but pretty much everyone else in my building was mostly retired and Eastern European..the whole block was like that too. It's definately not the demographic you expect living in the middle of Hollywood..but there is a big Russian community in Hollywood. Even though I was born in L.A I didn't really know about that community until I moved there.

I'm not sure i'd worry about how the other people are that live around there. I'm not sure if most people would even fit the stereotype or not honestly..

Also the thing that's probably going to effect you most is the people in the building. If you get in some trendy remodeled or new building possibly filled with people that just moved here and think they are the next big Hollywood star , it's probably going to be a much different crowd than an older building where the people have lived there for a while.

A place like West Hollywood is going to have a bunch of people from different areas and tourists too.
Thank you for your advice! Also, I know it is very liberal in WeHo. My best guy friend is gay and wants to move to WeHo as well and maybe move in with me. Are majority of the men in WeHo gay? I am a straight young female and would like to meet some straight males as well. Is the nightlife there mostly gay people?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I would say, yeah, West Hollywood is ground zero for the "fake LA" stereotype. I live right by Culver City, Palms actually, and yes Culver City is a great alternative for those looking to stay in the general westside region, and want somewhere walkable with shop, restaurants, nightlife, but without the "fake, glam" factor. You're also not that far from the beach.

I like Culver City and living around that area, but I see myself in the next couple years making my way up to around Pasadena/NE LA/foothills. After a year and a half in LA its my favorite "cluster.
Thank you for your advice. I saw an apartment the other day in Palms, on Watseka, and it was really nice! Just a little expensive for the size. How is the nightlife in Culver City? Do you go out in Venice or Santa Monica a lot? Do you use the metro a lot? Thanks for letting me pick your brain!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:49 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliecarillo View Post
Thank you for your advice! Also, I know it is very liberal in WeHo. My best guy friend is gay and wants to move to WeHo as well and maybe move in with me. Are majority of the men in WeHo gay? I am a straight young female and would like to meet some straight males as well. Is the nightlife there mostly gay people?
The majority of men in WeHo are gay, yes. But the nightlife is not just gay. West Hollywood's nightlife primarily runs along Sunset Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd, and Melrose. On Sunset its a straight dive bar/rocker scene, Santa Monica Blvd is gay at least until Crescent Heights (then a few trendy straight clubs like Laurel Hardware, Hudson, Bar Lubitsch are on the street), and Melrose is mostly straight with lots of restaurants and lounges. So you'll have plenty to do for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles