Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 AM

4,645 posts, read 4,509,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Ok, lets be straight about something, Im not talking about transplanted NYers who worked in Manhatten and their entire social circle was in manhatten. Im talking about natives whose social circle and dating pool consisted of women that lived in the Bronx, brooklyn and Queens. Cabbing back to the those places can run you in the 30-40 dollar range. And then what if you lived in Queens and the woman lived in the Bronx, a cab ride aint happening.

Women that are "FROM" NYC unless they are a hoodrat, are not tyring to see the train at night after a date. They prefer an adult male who drives. Does that make more sense now? Did you grow up there btw?
Actually, I'm a Queens native and lived in NY for over 30 years. I've also taken the subway home after evenings at the Met, hardly "hoodrat" diversions. When I met my wife, she was living in the Bronx, since that was where she was completing her surgical residency. She definitely didn't mind that I didn't drive. Perhaps you and I are just familiar with different circles, because the New York and 'New Yorkers' that you're familiar with are very different from what I've experienced..

Which isn't a rare thing. I think that any New Yorker is at most, familiar with about 5% of the range of New York experiences. The best thing to do is not to take that 5% and project it onto the entire city, thinking that everyone must see things the way you do or everyone must be like the people that you know.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 05-10-2013 at 01:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 02:28 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,160,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah true. I don't think L.A is the best place...but it seems NYC is much worse...bad weather and more expensive!

Not sure what keeps people there. It seems almost like a worse choice than L.A is.

L.A is a rat race...but NYC feels like even more of a rat race people just running around, looking even more miserable than in L.A . Sure some of them make a ton of money and can afford vacation homes elsewhere, but thats a very very tiny percentage..

I guess growing up in CA I don't really see the whole fascination with the Northeast or East Coast.

People say NYC/East Coast has culture...im not sure if I really understand that.. How does NYC have culture versus LA?

To OP sounds like you would like L.A better since you are "tired of mass transit. I need some more space, sunshine, greenery, mountains, beaches,"
What are you talking about? Explain.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,344,792 times
^^ Yeah come on jm, stop talking nonsense.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 AM

604 posts, read 1,299,104 times
Give my regards to Broadway.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:57 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,629,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I would live in NYC regardless of the weather, that wouldn't even be a factor for me. The weather here in LA is great, but I would gladly trade that for a more urban city.
Sounds like you're experiencing the newb disillusion...where do you live? Move to midwilshire or near the grove and you'll get that "urban" feel. But remember, "urban" being defined by NYC is a myth, they are just older than LA. You want more density. I get that and since you're young I'd say go for it, move to NYC. I wish i had spent a couple years there when i was in my early 20's, while still planning to be back here in LA ultimately. I'd do it just to see what it's like. People, knowing LA is a big city, expect to see that density all the time and get a little disillusioned when it's like 8pm and it get chill in certain parts of the city but just remember this city grows on you and you have to embrace its uniqueness in order to like it.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:09 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,160,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Sounds like you're experiencing the newb disillusion...where do you live? Move to midwilshire or near the grove and you'll get that "urban" feel. But remember, "urban" being defined by NYC is a myth, they are just older than LA. You want more density. I get that and since you're young I'd say go for it, move to NYC. I wish i had spent a couple years there when i was in my early 20's, while still planning to be back here in LA ultimately. I'd do it just to see what it's like. People, knowing LA is a big city, expect to see that density all the time and get a little disillusioned when it's like 8pm and it get chill in certain parts of the city but just remember this city grows on you and you have to embrace its uniqueness in order to like it.
They're both massive and dense cities that everybody have a love/hate perspective on. Which one decides to live in will depend on their personality, needs/wants, proximity to interesting activities and even other cities, type of job(s) they want, and even in some cases, within distance of old friends and family whether on the West Coast or the East Coast. Oh, and of course, the weather

Would love to visit Cali one day and see if it fits well with my laid-back personality but for now, I'm still at peace with my East Coast heritage And no, I'm not from New York.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,313,757 times
No I'm just saying , I think it's ignorant to say L.A doesn't have culture. It's just because a lot of the culture isn't european culture that it's not appreciated as culture. It's more about hispanic culture and asian culture.

I am not saying NYC doesn't have culture, but it's annoying hearing people from the East Coast in general say "L.A doesn't have any culture" Hispanic culture or Asian culture or any other culture isn't as good as European??

Old 05-10-2013, 03:36 PM

604 posts, read 1,299,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No I'm just saying , I think it's ignorant to say L.A doesn't have culture. It's just because a lot of the culture isn't european culture that it's not appreciated as culture. It's more about hispanic culture and asian culture.

I am not saying NYC doesn't have culture, but it's annoying hearing people from the East Coast in general say "L.A doesn't have any culture" Hispanic culture or Asian culture or any other culture isn't as good as European??
I think they (whoever they is) generally mean the somewhat stuck up, Fine Arts and to a lesser extent Broadway type of culture though.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:52 PM

189 posts, read 361,324 times
I think the people in California are wayyy nicer and friendlier that anyone on the East Coast who look angry and grumpy.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,313,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echilibru View Post
I think they (whoever they is) generally mean the somewhat stuck up, Fine Arts and to a lesser extent Broadway type of culture though.
Yeah snob culture. As if we don't have any Fine Arts in L.A lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles