Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,758,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I'm not sure the further north you go the better it is. Streets like Western, Normandie, and Vermont are arguably worse by 3rd/Beverly/Santa Monica than Wilshire or Olympic.
I know there is a lot of Korean influence in that area too, but I don't really think of that as Koreatown (well up to 3rd Street I do).

But yeah your point is valid, north along Western isn't great in Koreatown. In fact there was an article recently about how Hancock Park residents just west of Western have seen a lot of prostitution / pro paraphernalia in their neighborhoods because Western is so shady at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,259,394 times
I guess that area kind of blends East Hollywood and Koreatown. Wilshire and Western is a decent intersection, Beverly and Western not so much.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM

601 posts, read 750,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
south of wilshire boulevard, no, north of wilshire boulevard, depends
I think this advice might be a bit dated.

This is the same advice on the area I've heard repeated again and again on this forum and elsewhere, so the other day when my husband and I went to the area to check out apartments, we stayed strictly above Wilshire...and weren't happy with what we experienced. Heading towards 3rd started to get sketchy pretty fast. The next day, we broke our own rules and ventured south of Wilshire down to James M Wood and found that area surprisingly nicer.

If we decide to rent in the area, we're shooting for around/between 6th and 8th just to stay close to the train, but definitely preferred south of Wilshire.

I've heard mixed things about the crime stats - judged by the size of the area, it has moderate crime, but since Koreatown is so densely populated, if you judge per capita, it's actually quite safe?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Koreatown is an area that is (or at least was) being heavily gentrified. Its (in my opinion) a great place to invest and watch as the area improves. I lived in an apartment on Shatto Pl. near Wilshire and Vermont for a year. I didnt really like living in that area, but I never felt unsafe. That was circa 2005. In the times since Ive been back, the area is a lot more lively and K-town is receiving a lot more attention.

Its really one of the best areas of LA to be watching right now.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,280,059 times
Looks like Koreatown is going to get 'hipper' or it's hip enough for a hip luxury hotel.

I wonder how many people that lived or worked in Koreatown during the riots would believe a hotel with average room rates of $300 would one day be there..

" The Line, a hotel on Wilshire Blvd. that Sydell is describing as "the first lifestyle hotel of its kind in the United States to draw upon Korean and Korean-American culture, food and design." "

The Line in Koreatown is Starting to Take Reservations - Coming Attractions - Eater LA
The Line Hotel Brings Korea Back To Koreatown | Société Perrier

Old 05-16-2013, 05:05 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,631,261 times
Quote:
I guess that area kind of blends East Hollywood and Koreatown. Wilshire and Western is a decent intersection, Beverly and Western not so much.
I'm sitting here at the Tom N Tom Coffee 1 block south of that intersection right now, surrounded by a dozen creative types doing their work on their Mackbook Pros. Its not exactly the ghetto.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,259,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I'm sitting here at the Tom N Tom Coffee 1 block south of that intersection right now, surrounded by a dozen creative types doing their work on their Mackbook Pros. Its not exactly the ghetto.
Except you're at Wilshire and Western, not Beverly.

In any case most of these areas are safe during the day.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:36 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,275,155 times
Koreatown south of 8th blvd tends to be a bit sketchy, but otherwise is pretty safe(for a large city) for the most part.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,631,261 times
Quote:
Except you're at Wilshire and Western, not Beverly.

In any case most of these areas are safe during the day.
Except no, I'm at Western and 1st. There is more than one Tom N Tom in K-town...at least 5 that I know of. This is one of the newer ones.

In this same mini-mall there is a french bakery, a new thai streetfood place, and a fancy eyeglass shop. Across the street is Biergarten, the asian fusion place. Really, this area is not that rough.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 05-16-2013 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 11:25 PM

448 posts, read 1,598,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmblackflag View Post
It can be a little sketchy at night in some areas. I often come from the westside and onto Vermont to go to king Taco on Pico late at night. I pass through a decent chunk of Koreatown and it seems fine to me. There are a lot of people walking the streets late at night but as long as you're alert and paying attention I'm sure you'd be fine. As other have said, the further North you go the nicer it gets.

I'm gonna beg to differ with the further north you go, the better it gets. The closer to Wilshire you go, the better it gets.

My sister-in-law lives in the "North" part of Koreatown and it does not feel safe one bit. It is covered massively with graffiti on buildings, trees, sidewalks, you name it. There are a lot of people out at night walking the streets, which can be good and bad.

My S-I-L doesn't feel safe to walk around. She moved there due to the low rent and the vintage character of her apartment, but she made sure they had garage direct to apartment access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles