U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2013, 06:22 PM

87 posts, read 36,493 times
Those little turds can survive nuclear explosion but not a foot. I say we make an official squish a cockroach day. I have trouble harming most living things but roaches, ugh, filthy! We can make it a California holiday!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 04:14 AM

455 posts, read 275,278 times
If you property is fairly close to access to the sewer, like a man-hole cover, roaches, usually the solitary species, will come from there to seek food, but those bugs don't realize that they need to be in moist environments to survive and by the time they make it into your house, they haven't found food and they've been exposed to long and they will die.

Also, the irony of healthy, green lawns is a perfect environment for the large solitary cockroaches. It is damp/moist (regular watering of the lawn) with rich, nutrient soil and it attraction to other insects that the cockroach eats. However, it is just a matter of time before these roaches leave the lawn in search of food and nearby houses they will head for.

Our residence is clean, but we are pretty close to a man-hole access to the sewer, so for a few months of the year, we would get a dead solitary roach in a room where there is NOTHING for them to eat. They never seem to make it to the kitchen and even seem to pass it up. Anyway, a few would also make it to the garbage barrels out back and be on the wall near them. This is typical, normal behavior is is not indicative of an problem infestation. It was never a problem to us, but one day, we had a cricket problem get out of hand (there was a water leak that attracted them that we later fixed) and got a reputable exterminator to kill the crickets problem. As a consequence, we noticed NO big roach visitor or they would be DEAD trying to enter, but always outside, and no spider webs returning after having cleared them from the ceiling. All common little problems with bugs who share all our domiciles. We have since continued regular exterminator treatments and it is nice to be rid of those little annoyances like a cricket making noise.

If you are on regular treatment, you will occasionally see a dead bug OUTSIDE. This means the pesticide is doing its job and has kept the pests OUT. However, in general, after a few treatments and regular follow-up, you should NOT see any bugs inside. However, if you do see ONE, I wouldn't worry about it, but if there is another one, I would contact the exterminator as ours states that should NOT be the case and they will retreat at NO CHARGE provided it is before the next scheduled treatment.

Discuss your experience with your exterminator. Ours will consider our observations, and they will either treat with a different chemical or in some other way treat it to address your observations of bugs IN the house. Sometimes a heavy downpour can wash away some of the pesticide or lots of water flowing along your house where it was treated could wash away too much of the pesticide and now a break in the defense is present. The first treatments will present bugs dead in your house that you never thought were there and dead ones in the house on the first few treatments is normal. However, after the first few treatments, one should NOT be seeing dead bugs in the house but extremely rarely. Discuss with your exterminator.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:17 AM

4,780 posts, read 3,138,345 times
Maybe residents in the Valley can use some type of insect exterminator like some heavy spray to keep insects at bay from their homes.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 244 times
I recently returned to the valley where I was raised. I have seen a few water bugs and as for the other . . .I wont
hire one period - even if I have to go to court alone ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles