Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,196,169 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have a job offer up in Alhambra that I'm probably going to accept. I'm a little bit overwhelmed by the magnitude of LA and I've only been up there a handful of times so I'm hoping you guys can help me narrow down my options down a bit.

I'm male, gay, late-20s, currently living in a really awesome, walkable neighborhood in San Diego. I'd ideally like to find the same thing in LA. Alhambra seemed like a really nice area with some nice tree-lined streets and a cool little downtown but it seems like mostly families and not too many young professionals. I like it in a "maybe in 15 years" kinda way :P.

I spoke with a few friends up there who recommended Echo Park/Silver Lake, Los Feliz and Pasadena. WeHo looks like it's out of the question - I don't think I'd want to deal with that commute. Looking at google maps it seems like Echo Park and Los Feliz are about 13 miles away from where I'd be working. But realistically speaking, what would the commute be like in traffic? Would I benefit from a "reverse commute" if such a thing exists?

Pasadena seems nice as well and a lot closer to Alhambra, but is there a lot going on up there? I didn't get a chance to really drive around and see what it was like. If it's pretty much just like Alhambra, I imagine I might as well just live in Alhambra and save myself the commute :P

I'm looking for a 1BR and my budget is up to 1400-1500 though ideally I'd like to not have to spend that much. I did a cursory review of rentals on craigslist and it seems like Echo Park and Los Feliz are a bit less expensive than Pasadena, but then again I don't put a great deal of faith in craigslist. Can anyone confirm this?

Finally, any other neighborhood suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Bluefox; 05-25-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,649,878 times
Pasadena is a lot nicer than Echo Park. Los Feliz is nice but a lot of places that claim to be Los Feliz are really eastern Hollywood. Pasadena City College is a good sized school and that student element gives Pasadena a younger vibe than Alhambra has.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:04 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,417 times
Jees, what the hell is that you want? Alhambra is just fine, my dad moved there after my mom died and he wanted to get back to Socal, so I'm familiar with it. Are you looking for the all night, bust out the maracas BS of the West Hollywood area? Well no, it ain't that, but Alhambra is a lot cheaper to live in then that overcrowded, overhyped nonsense of the west side. Maybe if you have some idea of what it is that you're after, is it easier, cheaper living, or is it some orgy till your face fall off lifestyle? You're going to have to give up one thing for the other. And if you're living in Socal, the sensible thing to do is live where you work. Alhambra is much closer to your price range than what you'll find on the West Side, or even Los Feliz. And why in hell would you want to spend so much on gas and car destruction to live in a putative hip area, that aint that at all????

Old 05-26-2013, 12:24 AM

Well I certainly don't nor have ever had orgies and I don't have to even live in a gay area. I just want to be in an area that is walkable, has some nightlife and a little bit of character. Alhambra just seems like a quieter, more family-oriented suburban area. If that's not the case by all means tell me more.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 AM

23,498 posts, read 23,966,110 times
Pasadena would be a good choice. The commute to Alhambra is not that far. Pasadena has a lot more going for it, than Alhambra does.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 AM

362 posts, read 543,374 times
Your assessment of Alhambra is correct. There aren't a lot of things to do in the city, but it is quiet, family-oriented, and reasonably-priced. You could live/work there and play/spend your money in Pasadena.

I've lived in both cities. Though a little boring, Alhambra has lower crime and the cops are more responsive. Pasadena is nosier and has higher crime. In the past two five months, three houses in my expensive, Pasadena neighborhood (91105) have experienced break-ins. All things being equal, I do prefer Pasadena, even with its quirks, but with two children, I do find the crime a bit disconcerting.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:52 AM

919 posts, read 1,781,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well I certainly don't nor have ever had orgies and I don't have to even live in a gay area. I just want to be in an area that is walkable, has some nightlife and a little bit of character. Alhambra just seems like a quieter, more family-oriented suburban area. If that's not the case by all means tell me more.
ALL cities in Socal are walkable, have some nightlife and have a bit of character. That by no means defines what you want, or are looking for, in terms of what you've laid out. I'm going off the choices that YOU posted in your OP, either West Hollywood, Los Feliz, or Alhambra, and the amount you're willing to pay. Those cities are vastly different from each other, though they all have walkable nightlife inhabited by characters. My point still holds, you're not going to get exactly what you want, that's life. Live where you work, save yourself the money and headaches of pointless commutes, the rest will fall into place....

BTW, Alhambra is a big city, with different demographics and amenities. The closer you get to Los Angeles, either along Huntington Drive or Valley Blvd, the more working class and affordable it becomes. The closer you get to San Marino or North San Garbriel, the more expensive and gentrified it turns out to be. Same with Pasadena, same with Los Feliz, and probably West Hollywood as well. That doesn't make them bad, each will have their own vibe and walkability. But again, my advice still holds, depending on where you'll be working in Alhambra, there are areas where you can easily afford to live, where you can walk to work. That should be your main concern.....

Old 05-26-2013, 10:06 AM

23,498 posts, read 23,966,110 times
Another great neighborhood close to Alhambra is South Pasadena (aka - "South Pas"). It is a different city than Pasadena, has a cute Downtown on Mission Blvd and is served by the Metro Gold Line. It is a safe, professional, upper-middle class area and reminds me of the fictiticious town of "Mayberry" or in the Bay Area, perhaps Pleasanton.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
Your assessment of Alhambra is correct. There aren't a lot of things to do in the city, but it is quiet, family-oriented, and reasonably-priced. You could live/work there and play/spend your money in Pasadena.

I've lived in both cities. Though a little boring, Alhambra has lower crime and the cops are more responsive. Pasadena is nosier and has higher crime. In the past two five months, three houses in my expensive, Pasadena neighborhood (91105) have experienced break-ins. All things being equal, I do prefer Pasadena, even with its quirks, but with two children, I do find the crime a bit disconcerting.
That's interesting. So despite the crime, what is it about Pasadena that makes you prefer it over Alhambra?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
ALL cities in Socal are walkable, have some nightlife and have a bit of character. That by no means defines what you want, or are looking for, in terms of what you've laid out. I'm going off the choices that YOU posted in your OP, either West Hollywood, Los Feliz, or Alhambra, and the amount you're willing to pay. Those cities are vastly different from each other, though they all have walkable nightlife inhabited by characters. My point still holds, you're not going to get exactly what you want, that's life. Live where you work, save yourself the money and headaches of pointless commutes, the rest will fall into place....

BTW, Alhambra is a big city, with different demographics and amenities. The closer you get to Los Angeles, either along Huntington Drive or Valley Blvd, the more working class and affordable it becomes. The closer you get to San Marino or North San Garbriel, the more expensive and gentrified it turns out to be. Same with Pasadena, same with Los Feliz, and probably West Hollywood as well. That doesn't make them bad, each will have their own vibe and walkability. But again, my advice still holds, depending on where you'll be working in Alhambra, there are areas where you can easily afford to live, where you can walk to work. That should be your main concern.....
Fair enough. Like I said I don't really know anything about the LA area so you have to pardon my ignorance. But you have to know that not everywhere in So Cal is walkable. In most areas of SD you pretty much drive everywhere. I'm lucky to live in a pretty dense urban area where I can walk to bars, coffee shops, my gym, the convenience store, etc. The only time I really use my car is to go to work, grocery shopping or to do outdoor stuff. The demographics are mostly younger families with small children, students and young professionals. I'm just trying to see if I can find something similar up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles