U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM

5 posts, read 24,423 times

Advertisements

I had the misfortune of realizing a month after moving from Alabama to Los Angeles that my Alabama driver's license in fact had expired *on the exact same day* I left for LA. It expired on February 3rd.

It is now June 13th (4 months and 10 days later) and I'm purchasing a car from a coworker and need to obtain a California license. There are some inconsistencies with data I've gotten when researching the process. The California driver's manual states that behind the wheel tests are typically waived for holders of out of state licenses, and explicitly mentions 'valid' licenses. I assume this would not include me, because my license is recently expired.

However, googling around, other people who have answered this question and were in the same situation were only required to take the written test despite an expired out of state license. I unfortunately do not know anyone personally who had similar problems because most people are smarter than me and pay attention to when their licenses expire.

So, my question is: what is the exact interpretation of this? Has anyone here had this problem? I'm not particularly afraid of taking the behind-the-wheel test (though I haven't driven in a city quite this big before), but it is inconvenient because I have to ask coworkers to come with me and such and let me use their vehicles for this, so I'm definitely curious.

My current thinking judging by the information I've found is that it may be entirely dependent on who you happen to speak to at the DMV when you apply for your license.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,066 times
As long as you don't have a suspended license you will be able to attain a driver's license when you pass written test.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM

Do you have a source for that information? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious if I missed something when I read reading documentation.

I've got a DMV appointment on Friday. I'll update this thread with my findings for posterity.

Last edited by Parenthesis; 06-19-2013 at 07:49 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 02:41 PM

I was only required to take a written test and received my license without any trouble. No behind-the-wheel test was necessary.

Hopefully this thread will help out people in my situation in the future to know what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles