Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTheSun View Post
So why does it seem like so many people hate LA/Southern California in general? I just don't really get it.
I've lived here most of my life and have never met anyone, actually, who hates southern CA. I've met people who couldn't make it here job-wise (and moved) but to be honest, they never hated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 PM

536 posts, read 830,098 times
Lived there with my family as a kid. Loved it. Some of the happiest times of my life.

Step dad hated his commute, but we just had bad luck:

- Psycho sat down in our front yard one day. Refused to leave. Said he was Jesus. Cops came and he had bag full of butcher knives.

- Kids all playing outside. Neighbor walks out to driveway and shoots himself in head. Wife left him.

- Best friends 2 parents and 2 kids all killed in car accident on way to Disney

- Gang members fighting and throwing stuff at each other and hit my 8 year old brother in the head with a brick. 22 stitches.

Parents said we are out of here

Last edited by Dreadnought; 07-01-2013 at 10:39 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 05:19 PM

12 posts, read 12,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
Lived there with my family as a kid. Loved it. Some of the happiest times of my life.

Step dad hated his commute, but we just had bad luck:

- Psycho sat down in our front yard one day. Refused to leave. Said he was Jesus. Cops came and he had bag full of butcher knives.

- Kids all playing outside. Neighbor walks out to driveway and shoots himself in head. Wife left him.

- Best friends 2 parents and 2 kids all killed in car accident on way to Disney

- Gang members fighting and throwing stuff at each other and hit my 8 year old brother in the head with a brick. 22 stitches.

Parents said we are out of here
Whoa. Is that common out there?? There's a lot of crazy people like that around me (not in my town, but the towns around me and especially in the bigger cities near me), but not usually to that extreme. A lot of the stuff around here is banks being robbed, shootings - drive-by and at homes - missing people, etc. Not usually quite that insane. I do remember hearing about the guy at the Home Depot in Pasadena not too long ago, as well... whackos everywhere, I guess.

Would you move back if given the opportunity?

Old 08-16-2013, 02:53 AM

38 posts, read 125,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Actually, LA metro area is the #1 most dense metro area in the U.S. by its strict definition of population per square mile.

Los Angeles Beats New York in Urban Density - Los Angeles - News - The Informer

However, by weighted density LA metro is only #3

The 50 densest American metropolitan areas, by weighted density - Austin Contrarian
Thank you!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:37 PM

106 posts, read 171,171 times
LA is an easy target. I have lived a lot of places, and everyone says the same thing: "It's too expensive and the people are too fake." It gets tiresome. Most of the people who say this will even ADMIT they have never been to LA. And to be in Washington, DC and hear this? DC is just as expensive for living in a decent area, and the people are JUST AS FAKE.

Oh... And that whole Southern Hospitality thing? My personal opinion? It's a myth. It only applies if you are like everyone else. If you are "weird" in any way, or aren't the typical good ole southerner, that place is a very unforgiving, miserable society. (Tourists get a free pass, sometimes) The average person in LA is ten times friendlier in my experience.

Also, as someone else stated. The people who love LA are out enjoying it. The people who hate it, sit around on the internet and bash it. Another thing? People just love to complain. Put these same compLAiners anywhere else and they'll find something else to complain about.

Last edited by AnthonyCburn; 08-17-2013 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Now that's a good idea for a username. compLAiner.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 AM

24 posts, read 39,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCburn View Post
LA is an easy target. I have lived a lot of places, and everyone says the same thing: "It's too expensive and the people are too fake." It gets tiresome. Most of the people who say this will even ADMIT they have never been to LA. And to be in Washington, DC and hear this? DC is just as expensive for living in a decent area, and the people are JUST AS FAKE.

Oh... And that whole Southern Hospitality thing? My personal opinion? It's a myth. It only applies if you are like everyone else. If you are "weird" in any way, or aren't the typical good ole southerner, that place is a very unforgiving, miserable society. (Tourists get a free pass, sometimes) The average person in LA is ten times friendlier in my experience.

Also, as someone else stated. The people who love LA are out enjoying it. The people who hate it, sit around on the internet and bash it. Another thing? People just love to complain. Put these same compLAiners anywhere else and they'll find something else to complain about.
...as a native son of the Great City of the Angels, I would say the above is the best analysis for your consideration. For myself, have been in many places, here in the US, and abroad, but always get that need to be back in L.A., no matter where I am; all I can say in closing, bash it, hate it, it's only your opinion, and if you live here, and do the same, then just send me a request for directions to the nearest airport, harbor, bus station or highways going east, etc.

Anyway, thanks for asking, wonder the same thing from time to time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles