Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:25 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateTae View Post
Who actually has the time to come to a message board on city-data.com, make up some stupid post, and then sit back to watch other idiots argue over something as stupid as this? Anyone who has that much time on their hands needs to find a new hobby.
I agree with you but people do it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 11:52 AM

194 posts, read 303,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Why would you want to live in an area with "a significant black presence"? Just curious. LA is the most diverse city on the planet where you can find people of all walks of life living in all different areas. I also noticed that you havent responded to anyone here but yet you initiated this thread.

I just find your post a bit odd because you dont see anyone wanting to leave in a predominatly Asian area or predominately Middle Eastern Area. People want to live in NICE AREAS. Thats all Im saying.
I don't think he meant anything shady or racial by it.

I think he just wants to know where he'd "fit in" if he moved to L.A., and if L.A. has middle-class/upper middle class Black neighborhoods (it does).

There are lots of people who move to areas that are dominated by a particular ethnic group. Chinese in Monterey Park, Rosemead, and those parts of the SGV, Armenians in Glendale, Mexicans in South Gate, etc.

Nothing right or wrong about it, it's just what some people do.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Why would you want to live in an area with "a significant black presence"? Just curious. LA is the most diverse city on the planet where you can find people of all walks of life living in all different areas. I also noticed that you havent responded to anyone here but yet you initiated this thread.

I just find your post a bit odd because you dont see anyone wanting to leave in a predominatly Asian area or predominately Middle Eastern Area. People want to live in NICE AREAS. Thats all Im saying.
i don't doubt the sincerity of the original inquiry, just the necessity. my sense from threads like this one is that black people from elsewhere aren't accustomed to the kind of ethnically-fluid communities we have here, and might believe (for reasons either real or imagined) that they have to live in "black neighborhoods" to find peace and acceptance. this isn't true, of course, but it is something that many people don't believe unless they experience it, so they seek out racially homogenous neighborhoods because that is where they think they 'belong'.

Last edited by katenik; 11-08-2007 at 01:47 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 01:40 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
I don't see what the big deal is. I thought the OP was written in a sincere and thoughtful fashion, genuinely seeking information, not a debate. Besides, I've seen other threads by Jews and gays, in particular, asking the same sort of question. People self segregate along racial, ethnic, religious and sexual orientation lines all the time. This is America afterall.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:27 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. I thought the OP was written in a sincere and thoughtful fashion, genuinely seeking information, not a debate. Besides, I've seen other threads by Jews and gays, in particular, asking the same sort of question. People self segregate along racial, ethnic, religious and sexual orientation lines all the time. This is America afterall.
You know, you're probably one of my favorite regulars on here. You're very open minded and don't try to find the negative stuff about everything. I also I agree with you on almost everything you post.

I bet most people don't realize how mixed LA is. Some may think that the only way to be accepted into society is to live amongst similar people. But then there are others, like the Jews, Persians, Chinese, Armenians, Indians, etc. who want to be around things they enjoy and people that have similar views about things. They don't do it because they think they won't be accepted anywhere else, they just want a sense of small town community with their peers while having amentities of a large city.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Yet look at the sh*t storm that happens when someone asks to live around white people. Can't ask about that.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:17 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yet look at the sh*t storm that happens when someone asks to live around white people. Can't ask about that.
Yeah, very true. You also have to put into consideration that this country has only viewed non anglo americans as equal citizens and residents for only half a century. Elders who were born during segregated times still have that in the back of their minds. We have come a long way since segregated times but racism still persists today and it's going to keep on existing for generations to come.

I recall quite a few threads on here from people who were looking for white neighborhoods and they were very polite with reasons that anybody could easily understand. Likewise, Ive seen others who just dont know how to word their opinions and reasons who created a hiuge debate.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

i understand your point, and i, for one, would be happy to answer the question for a number of reasons. however, i don't know any places like that-- not if "around white people" means "...and only white people." i suppose there are places "way out there" that are exclusively white and determined to keep it that way, but "way out there" isn't sufficiently geographically specific to be be of any help, so i just skip over those threads. i don't get bent out of shape about them.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Yeah, very true. You also have to put into consideration that this country has only viewed non anglo americans as equal citizens and residents for only half a century. Elders who were born during segregated times still have that in the back of their minds. We have come a long way since segregated times but racism still persists today and it's going to keep on existing for generations to come.

I recall quite a few threads on here from people who were looking for white neighborhoods and they were very polite with reasons that anybody could easily understand. Likewise, Ive seen others who just dont know how to word their opinions and reasons who created a hiuge debate.
in my experience, "elders" are the ones who realize just how far we've come, as a society, and are grateful for the change. it's their children and grandchildren who are usually crying racial foul.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 PM

705 posts, read 3,298,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
in my experience, "elders" are the ones who realize just how far we've come, as a society, and are grateful for the change. it's their children and grandchildren who are usually crying racial foul.
Very true, but the reason that I mentioned the elderly is because they are the ones who lived through it and experienced a completely different lifestyle. They tell their stories to their children, grand children and others who don't know how to appreciate liberty as much as those who at one point in their lives had very limited liberty. Of course, not everybody is like this and there are many more factors that contribute to this argument. Factors that don't even partain to the United States and came way before Columbus discovered America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles