Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody067 View Post
yby1..do you ever go to the Ralph's on Vermont/120th? also,have you tried Jim Dandy chicken on Vermont/Imperial?
No. We just moved to the area in April from Harbor City. I work in El Segundo, so I tend to do my grocery shopping there. I live near Steven's Burgers and have been there a few times for the pastrami sandwich. I like it better than Johnnie's in Culver City (my hometown). It's much cheaper too.

I really need to try Jim Dandy chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I love Van Nuys. It's the heart of the valley and encapsulates some of the most pure LA flavor. It just doesn't get any more "LA" than Van Nuys Blvd:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=van+n...350.25,,0,2.21

The cars, the density, the grittiness, the sound of a city bus pulling out and the heat coming off it, that's what I like.
It kind of reminds me of DTLA in a way, people don't think of Van Nuys or the Valley as urban...but they probably haven't been to Van Nuys . I see it having some potential.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:27 PM

193 posts, read 465,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It kind of reminds me of DTLA in a way, people don't think of Van Nuys or the Valley as urban...but they probably haven't been to Van Nuys . I see it having some potential.
are there any other areas outside of ventura blvd, NoHo, and Van Nuys in the valley that are more walkable like that stretch of van nuys blvd?

Another potential gentrification candidate is San Pedro (not the nicer parts of course). I was reading that the "projects" might be a hinderance but SP is a really underrated neighborhood

Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 PM

223 posts, read 523,834 times
My Mom lived in Highland Park in the 60's when Dodger players lived on their street. Back then they said the city would gentrify too. I don't see it fully changing over.

I also take my girlfriend to work most days in Boyle Heights, and a lot of properties that would make sense to sell have been sitting. Still seems like a junky area. But if that big housing development goes in, that could be the turning point. The only problem is that there may be the housing burst 2.0 before that project takes off. Maybe next go around that might be the place to be with Downtown's build out going on right now.

To me Mid-City seems to have a lot of potential. Bad enough that not everyone wants to go there, but just enough people fixing up the charming houses to slowly build up the area block by block. I thought this would happen in Highland Park, but it seemed purely flippers doing this to artificially increase the property values.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaemophilusAphrophilus View Post
are there any other areas outside of ventura blvd, NoHo, and Van Nuys in the valley that are more walkable like that stretch of van nuys blvd?

Another potential gentrification candidate is San Pedro (not the nicer parts of course). I was reading that the "projects" might be a hinderance but SP is a really underrated neighborhood
San Pedro is really cool. Great spot for artists. 6th St shopping area is struggling, but its still cool. Reminds me of Hollywood in the 80s -90s. Great bohemian vibe. There is still the gang element though.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 PM

203 posts, read 577,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Yes. That general area.
That area is such a shocker. I first went to a house at 127th and Hoover in High School...thinking it would be extremely dangerous or at least halfway, and I was like "whoa....this almost looks like Baldwin Hills!!!"

Just as with my area (Western, between Florence/83rd) I feel that the neighborhood outside of the houses may not become developed enough for "TRUE" gentrification...but that it's a great pocket that surprises most people and can end up having high value.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:29 AM

Interesting about San Pedro I've never really hung out there . Just feels pretty far I guess , I'll have to check out that area though sometime .

Mid City I agree about too ... I'm not sure why someone would buy in Highland park versus midcity .. It seems like highland park is overvalued .. Midcity just seems like a much better location .

Buzzkillb, what do you mean properties that would make sense to sell ? The owners are trying to sell ? Or these are vacant properties ?

With inventory so low I wonder how many people are marketing to homeowners offering to buy their homes .

There's gotta be a ton of people in areas like Boyle Heights and highland park that have their homes paid off or bought them much cheaper . But then I guess where would they go ? Unless they were moving out of state or out of the city at least .

House next door to me just sold for over asking.. And I'm not even in a trendy area so it's pretty interesting ... It went under contract quick too .

If I had a big chunk of cash I'd probably buy rental properties where it makes sense.
I saw a 4plex in Ohio asking $25k with rents of $1300.
You could buy 20 properties like that for one of those $500k homes in a place like highland park . Gross rents would be $26,000 a month .

Probably not too many people thinking this way though .

Old 07-09-2013, 01:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Interesting about San Pedro I've never really hung out there . Just feels pretty far I guess , I'll have to check out that area though sometime .

Mid City I agree about too ... I'm not sure why someone would buy in Highland park versus midcity .. It seems like highland park is overvalued .. Midcity just seems like a much better location .
Highland Park has the Gold Line.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Highland Park has the Gold Line.
Yeah that is exactly what I was going to say. The biggest thing that makes me hesitant about Mid City is that it is not anywhere near any rail lines, and won't be for quite some time. Eventually the Crenshaw Line will get extended north up to the Purple Line, but that won't be a for a decade or more - I don't think the extension is even a Measure R project.

Highland Park also has that "Eastside-ish" appeal that the cool kids love so much.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 AM

I view the rail lines as a benefit..but does the average home buyer really view them that way.

Is that why prices in Highland Park are so high? Or is it because of some perceived 'hipness'.

Just like with music and other things most people seem to pay high prices for something just because they heard it's cool.

Tons of major publications are pumping Highland Park as one of the hippest areas.

Many people have the herd/sheep mentality.

Once they start pumping Boyle Heights prices will skyrocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles