Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM

150 posts, read 252,604 times

Advertisements

LOL, no I meant African American. Sorry about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 12:03 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacollins View Post
I would only want to rent for a year. After that, I would want to own a home. My budget for a home would be no more than $215,000. I would like for it to have a backyard for my son to play. I promised him a dog when he turns 5.

Also, schools are very important to me. Not only the quality of education (I will be providing a lot of enrichment on my own), but I want him in a school where there is no bullying and students feel good about attending. My biggest fear would be sending him to a school where he cries everyday because he doesn't want to go. Please keep the responses coming.
If your budget for a home is 215,000 you're in the wrong city, if not the wrong state. Sorry.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:28 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
You aren't going to find a SFH or a condo within a good school district for $215,000 in Los Angeles. You *may* find a condo within San Diego County, but it will most likely have high HOA dues and schools won't be that great either.

If you are open to living in the desert around SD, you might find something.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM

416 posts, read 560,186 times
Hm, strong AA presence AND good schools AND only 215k? I'm going to agree that meeting all three of those will probably be impossible in LA. 215k is no question at best a condo. Part of the problem is LA is not known for good schools period. Maybe further in like San Bernadino might be an option.

A semi-decent house AND near a good school is going to need a lot more than 215k. I'd say double that, easy. And you will be FAAAR from the ocean btw.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:52 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Hello, I am a single AA mom of a 3 year old currently living in the DC metro area. However, I have always dreamed of living in California ever since I was a little girl lol. I have a very warm and friendly personality and love that California seems so laid back yet at the same time very progressive. I am a special education teacher and ready to make the move to a stress free life. The DC metro just has too much traffic, esp. where I live in northern Virginia and sometimes people aren't as friendly. Both my mom and my ex-husband think I need to try out southern cali for a school term to see if this is really my dream or else I would regret never having tried. I have no family in the area. Most of my family are in the DC metro area, although my mom will soon be retiring to Orlando, FL. Therefore, I will be on my own and need areas where daycare and living costs are relatively inexpensive. In addition, I am looking for areas with a significant African American prescence. This is one of the things I do appreciate about the DC metro area. African Americans really do well here. I am looking for something similar in Cali. Also, for those who've moved to southern California, how does it stack up against the DC metro area? How is dating for AA women?

Please any opinion or advice welcome...I have only one shot at this since when my son starts kindergarten I plan on staying rooted for a long while. I should also note that I am considering moving to Atlanta (I have family there too and it is closer to Orlando), but California is so my first choice. I will post this in the SD forum as well.

You want honest advice? As an AA male who moved from the East COast , you will love the weather and the openness of the roads, and the rents and space that you will have here as opposed to D.C.... But socially, you may not like it as much .

As state, LA County is only 9% black and California as a whole is only 6 percent black. "Most" of that 6% tends to live in Compton, Inglewood, South Central , Carson, Long Beach, And Oakland. You don't sound like a hood chick so I doubt you will really find any of those areas desirable. Unfortunately for whatever reason (and I cant wrap my head around this), middle class blacks tend to live in those areas too. All of those neighborhoods listed, you will have to ask someone "is this a red or blue neighborhood". I really wouldn't think that a middle class earning person would want to be in an area where you have to ask such a question but to each his own.

As an AA, unlike in the east coast, you will find a sense of open un-welcome ness in Hispanic and Asian neighborhoods. Even middle class ones. I have noticed that whites aren't as openly racist as they can be back east, but they do tend to run in their own circles.

I mention those things to say that your dating life will not feature some of the better options that you probably have in D.C

I think a few trips here would be fine for you, but overall, I would suggest Atlanta. Your weather in ATL wont be quite as nice as out here, but it will be better than what goes on in the Northeast or in D.C. Needless to say a lot more quality dating options in ATL and you wont have a fear of being discriminated against. Not to mention, living will be substantially cheaper in ATL.

If I had to leave here, ATL would more than likely be the next and hopefully final landing space

Old 07-10-2013, 03:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
You want honest advice? As an AA male who moved from the East COast , you will love the weather and the openness of the roads, and the rents and space that you will have here as opposed to D.C.... But socially, you may not like it as much .

As state, LA County is only 9% black and California as a whole is only 6 percent black. "Most" of that 6% tends to live in Compton, Inglewood, South Central , Carson, Long Beach, And Oakland. You don't sound like a hood chick so I doubt you will really find any of those areas desirable. Unfortunately for whatever reason (and I cant wrap my head around this), middle class blacks tend to live in those areas too. All of those neighborhoods listed, you will have to ask someone "is this a red or blue neighborhood". I really wouldn't think that a middle class earning person would want to be in an area where you have to ask such a question but to each his own.

As an AA, unlike in the east coast, you will find a sense of open un-welcome ness in Hispanic and Asian neighborhoods. Even middle class ones. I have noticed that whites aren't as openly racist as they can be back east, but they do tend to run in their own circles.

I mention those things to say that your dating life will not feature some of the better options that you probably have in D.C

I think a few trips here would be fine for you, but overall, I would suggest Atlanta. Your weather in ATL wont be quite as nice as out here, but it will be better than what goes on in the Northeast or in D.C. Needless to say a lot more quality dating options in ATL and you wont have a fear of being discriminated against. Not to mention, living will be substantially cheaper in ATL.

If I had to leave here, ATL would more than likely be the next and hopefully final landing space
I am an AA male. But i think trying to live your according to where there are a lots of Blacks is silly. I hate the deep South, I hate humidity. I personally never had issues with Asians or Hispanics in Los Angeles. The op maybe limiting herself by injecting race into it. If she just ficused on nice areas with good schools, her options would be so much better Truthfully, most black neighborhoods in most big cities tend to be poor with horrible schools.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:24 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I am an AA male. But i think trying to live your according to where there are a lots of Blacks is silly. I hate the deep South, I hate humidity. I personally never had issues with Asians or Hispanics in Los Angeles. The op maybe limiting herself by injecting race into it. If she just ficused on nice areas with good schools, her options would be so much better Truthfully, most black neighborhoods in most big cities tend to be poor with horrible schools.
Yeah, but in places like ATL, or North Carolina, you actually have black areas that prosper as compared to NYC and LA. I didn't say she couldn't enjoy herself here, Im telling her that her dating life wont be that great considering the small black population

If you've never had issues with any Asians and Hispanics out here, that's on you. Im telling the OP right now, that the black/Mexican crowd don't walk as hand in hand as blacks do with Puerto Ricans and Dominicans. Somebody may not have said it to your face but I don't know the crowd you were dealing with.

Ive taught in High Schools out here and have been called a N----a more than once by a Mexican kid, and had Asians whisper behind my back that they wish I wasn't in the neighborhood. Luckily my Asian roommate at the time was a lil more forward thinking than the rest of them, so when these things were said to him, he did his best to play peacemaker.

The OP can just google "Ethnic Cleansing Los Angeles" and come up with her own conclusions

The point of this may be moot anyway. OP says she only wants to spend 215.000 on a house which means shes gonna be right smack in one of those undesirable areas I named, or she's gonna be greatly discouraged that she will not be able to buy here unless she goes a bit higher. 215,000 is the southern price for a home in the south. It will get you a backyard in Southern Cal

Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 PM

62 posts, read 112,445 times
Quote:
Hello, I am a single AA mom of a 3 year old currently living in the DC metro area. However, I have always dreamed of living in California ever since I was a little girl lol. I have a very warm and friendly personality and love that California seems so laid back yet at the same time very progressive. I am a special education teacher and ready to make the move to a stress free life. The DC metro just has too much traffic, esp. where I live in northern Virginia and sometimes people aren't as friendly. Both my mom and my ex-husband think I need to try out southern cali for a school term to see if this is really my dream or else I would regret never having tried. I have no family in the area. Most of my family are in the DC metro area, although my mom will soon be retiring to Orlando, FL. Therefore, I will be on my own and need areas where daycare and living costs are relatively inexpensive. In addition, I am looking for areas with a significant African American prescence. This is one of the things I do appreciate about the DC metro area. African Americans really do well here. I am looking for something similar in Cali. Also, for those who've moved to southern California, how does it stack up against the DC metro area? How is dating for AA women?

Please any opinion or advice welcome...I have only one shot at this since when my son starts kindergarten I plan on staying rooted for a long while. I should also note that I am considering moving to Atlanta (I have family there too and it is closer to Orlando), but California is so my first choice. I will post this in the SD forum as well.
"South Central". It has the presence you are seeking.
Other options would be Watts, Compton, or Riverside County is very cheap I hear.
Good luck

Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
At first I thought "AA" meant she was in Alcoholics Anonymous. Seriously.
Me, too.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:27 PM

218 posts, read 362,387 times
My advice would be to come out to LA to visit and take a look around first and then decide what area(s) you are comfortable with living and do your research online about the school system. You may have to put the home ownership on the back burner and settle for renting an apartment. LA has a lot to offer but realistically you will have to adjust your expectations based on your salary.

In terms of Atlanta I lived there for 9 years and honestly I think you will be bored to death after a couple of years if not less. If you're ready to settle down and live the quiet life then Atlanta may work for you. They just built an aquarium several years ago. There's not many museums although they do have nice parks. Atlanta is little bigger than DC but has a high gay population and from what I've been told a high "down low" population so you're dating options will be limited. When I lived there unless you were in college and met someone in college dating in Atlanta sucked. All of my friends from college that are married now met their spouse in college. Maybe things have changed I don't know. Only an act of God will get me back to Atlanta.

Here is a thread where I gave someone advice about moving to LA with links to various information: moving to universal city,ca from pittsburgh need advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles