Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 PM

428 posts, read 848,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Who gives a crap what Blacks are doing? If other Black people want to live in the South, let them. I sure won't be going! I don't care if some Black people do whatever, I think for myself. Its why I have never joined the big number of Black men in jail, and why I have an Ivy League degree.
You my friend are why I left the big city. Y'all are so angry all the time. By the way I have a Bachelor's in history emphasis Trans-Atlantic and The U.S. south with a minor in Africana studies from Cal-State and Master's degree in social studies from Mississippi State. GEAUX DAWGS!!! I am librarian. Whats your point BROTHER. Your not the only educated Black man in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 PM

218 posts, read 362,337 times
As they say different strokes for different folks. I know people that moved from NY/DC to Atlanta and hated it. I know people that moved from NY/DC to Atlanta and loved it. I know people that moved from NY/DC to NC and loved it. I know people that moved from NC to Las Vegas and loved it. I know people that moved from MS to LA and loved it. The OP has to decide what's important to her and her family and then go from there. Where there's a will there's way. I know a girl that moved from Miami with a couple hundred dollars in her pocket and moved to LA last year. It was rough for her at first but she found her way and doing okay today. It sounds as if she really wants to move to LA. I say go for it because you don't want to be thinking years from now shoulda, coulda woulda ya know. Try it and if you don't like it you can always go to Atlanta. Life is too short not to do things you really want to do. If your desire to move to LA is that strong do it and if it doesn't work out you can always have a story to tell the grandchirren (that's right I said grandchirren...lol) about when grandma lived in LA.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:41 PM

150 posts, read 252,422 times
MissStateDawg...do you think the reason that African Americans are leaving is because of the cost of living or the feeling of social isolation? I have been to Atlanta many times, have family there, but I'm just don't think its what I want right now. Also, I don't think it can really compete with what California offers. Don't you miss the beach? Mountains? etc.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Marie87...the DC area is changing so much. While I do appreciate much of what DC offers, it just doesn't offer much for me anymore. For one thing, there is way too much traffic. The traffic is even bad on the WEEKENDS...now that is just too much. Rush hour traffic can have you sitting for an hour. It is seriously affecting the quality of life here for many. I think I stayed so long because the money for the cost of living leads me to a comfortable life. Right now I work for Fairfax schools and the pay and benefits are nice. I am hoping that schools in CA will pay much more to make up for the additional tax burden (CA is much higher than VA) and the higher cost of living in the suburbs. I don't mind not living in LA proper as long as I have access to it and don't have to deal with traffic on the weekends. LOL I don't think I can take it anymore...stress free equals traffic free.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:53 PM

DCNita...I think you understand my mindset. I don't ever want to look back and think "what if"? Also, I don't have to live in the heart of LA. As a teacher, I can work in a suburban school and drive up to the city on the weekends. This is what I do now in the DC metro.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 PM

NYwriter...the number of black men in jail is severely overhyped. There are actually more black men in college. However, the disparity does still exist and should continue to be addressed.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Are there any nice suburbs with good schools and access to the city that will allow me to rent for $1200 a month or buy for $215000?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
You might like Oxnard in Ventura County. It has a little more diversity, decent schools, within your budget.

Here's some houses to buy in your range:
Oxnard Single Family Homes for Sale - Oxnard, CA Single-Family Real Estate - realtor.com®

Old 07-11-2013, 07:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
Most Black films and film makers as well as many others are filming in Atlanta and New Orleans. NEw Orleans and Atlanta republican and more conservative governments give film makers tax credits for filming in there. What planet are you living on. You will be one of millions in California who had foolish dreams of moving to Cali and making it big. It does happen for a few but not most so good luck with that.

Atlanta stealing L.A.’s thunder? | The Buzz

I back up what I say with facts. You can argue all day with facts if you want to but you cannot change them.
This is utter nonsense. The guilds, the agencies, the production companies, are either in Los Angeles or New York. Anyone based out of Atlanta for the most part is amateur. Tyler Perry, the most famous Black filmmaker once based out of Atlanta, is represented by people in Los Angeles, and the studio that distributes him has Los Angeles, not Atlanta offices.

And who said I was in interested in working on African American films for that matter? Just because I'm Black doesn't mean everything I write has a black cast.

Stop pimping Atlanta. if you want to live there fine, but this the Los Angeles thread. Go pimp Southern cities on Southern threads.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
You my friend are why I left the big city. Y'all are so angry all the time. By the way I have a Bachelor's in history emphasis Trans-Atlantic and The U.S. south with a minor in Africana studies from Cal-State and Master's degree in social studies from Mississippi State. GEAUX DAWGS!!! I am librarian. Whats your point BROTHER. Your not the only educated Black man in the world.
I'm an Ivy Leaguer that outranks any crappy state Southern school. As such, I don't have to limit myself to crappy Southern cities. I love coastal cities. Oh, and if I can get by in NY (and I have for many years) I will do just FINE IN LOS ANGELES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles