U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 PM

92 posts, read 311,407 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I have been searching the 'Net for some rentals in my price range and Long Beach keeps popping up. Normally, my rule has been "If it's mentioned in a rap song, we probably don't want to live there" LOL, but how is Long Beach, really?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 02:26 PM

1,288 posts, read 3,632,873 times
The following is a recent thread with extensive commentary on Long Beach.

Moving From NY To LA - Thinking Of Long Beach - Need Help

If you use the search tool, you'll find other threads about Long Beach too.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 PM

635 posts, read 1,170,932 times
Long Beach has good and bad areas, hopefully another poster will tell you what they are, because I don't know. Long Beach is very diverse: asians, whites, blacks, latinos all in high numbers. muninetguide.com hope that helps!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:35 PM

916 posts, read 2,297,553 times
Long Beach is a big city with 500,000 people though it feels smaller because it's neighborhoods are very distinct. There are very expensive, waterfront and estate neighborhoods. There are also middle class suburban neighborhoods. There are also crappy neighborhoods. If you can afford to live in one of the better neighborhoods I think it is the best place to live in southern california. There is something for everyone. And I heard someone describe Long Beach once as "LA style with OC convenience". I think that is fitting.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:06 AM

3,308 posts, read 9,147,297 times
For what Jesus said, I know Long Beach. Belmont Shores and Naples Island are the best places. Belmont Heights is nice, but not as good. Downtown Long Beach is becoming a hip and lively area with tons of new condos going up. Bixby Knolls is more residential, but it's pretty good. Signal Hill isn't too bad. Stay away from North Long Beach. In rap songs, like "The Next Episode" by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, they name "Compton, Long Beach, Inglewooooodd...South Central!" When you hear LB named along with those cities, it seems like the ghetto, but it has made a very fast transformation from when that song was made and they were most likely talking about North Long Beach. A rule of thumb in Long Beach is to stay as close to the ocean as your budget can handle.

Research some places in your price range located in Belmont Shores, downtown, Naples, Belmont Heights, and Bixby Knolls. Then, return here and the regulars can tell you if that's a good area.

Check out craigslist.com

About Long Beach though. The areas that I told you check out are actually quite safe. They're definitely great areas to consider for anyone moving to LA.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 AM

92 posts, read 311,407 times
Thanks for the tips, all. Sorry I forgot the "Use the Search" rule of thumb!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,908,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaEscritora View Post
Normally, my rule has been "If it's mentioned in a rap song, we probably don't want to live there" LOL, but how is Long Beach, really?

Thanks!
LOL. Tiger Woods, Snoop Dog, Billie Jean King, Nicolas Cage are a few of Long Beach's finest sons/daughters........er.....sons.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,921 times
Thumbs up Some Good, Some bad

Some parts of Long Beach are rough, like the portion that borders up near Compton, as well as a few pockets near downtown. I spent 6 months living near CSU Long Beach and found the area to be safe, affordable, and pretty decent overall. My only problem is I found it a bit too far from places such as Downtown LA, Hollywood, and the Valley. It's not extremely far, but far enough to spend an hour or more in the car driving to get to those places.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:30 PM

25,203 posts, read 19,026,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackals View Post
Some parts of Long Beach are rough, like the portion that borders up near Compton, as well as a few pockets near downtown. I spent 6 months living near CSU Long Beach and found the area to be safe, affordable, and pretty decent overall. My only problem is I found it a bit too far from places such as Downtown LA, Hollywood, and the Valley. It's not extremely far, but far enough to spend an hour or more in the car driving to get to those places.
I also live in Long Beach near CSU and I agree this area as well as some of the other posted are pretty good. In general you want to stay away from the north and western sides of town. Long Beach is weird in that one area is good but go a couple of blocks in the wrong direction and it gets pretty scary. I've lived in various parts of long beach my whole life. Overall if you want to stay So Cal this is a pretty good place. I'm personally looking to get out of LA too crowed, expensive and the traffic is driving my crazy. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 AM

35 posts, read 62,094 times
I live in long beach which borders lakewood. although my car has been broken into a few times and even stolen once its quite a good area...thats unfortuantly the LA way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles