Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM

29 posts, read 60,618 times

Advertisements

I live in LA and have never taken the bus but was so amazed to see a map of it today and how extensive it is but I was also sad to see how long it took to get places even with the new Rapid buses. I think it would be a lot faster if they built bus lanes for the most popular routes especially the Rapid ones. I heard they will be adding some bus lanes in but when?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 05:23 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAA17 View Post
I live in LA and have never taken the bus but was so amazed to see a map of it today and how extensive it is but I was also sad to see how long it took to get places even with the new Rapid buses. I think it would be a lot faster if they built bus lanes for the most popular routes especially the Rapid ones. I heard they will be adding some bus lanes in but when?
Wilshire just had the first phase installed, from DTLA through Westlake. I think it is being phased in segments and will take a year or more. I believe the city is currently studying additional streets that could get them too. I would imagine Vermont, Sunset, La Brea, Olympic, Venice, Pico would be atop the list. We need better North-South options, maybe Fairfax, La Cienega, Western, Westwood should also get them, as well as beefed up bus service.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 PM

193 posts, read 465,228 times
Busway on Sunset? Metro Studying Citywide Bus Lane Network - The Commute - Curbed LA

if they can accomplish a good chunk of this, it would be awesome. Obviously rail is always preferred but I think BRT (or the rapid buses plus dedicated lanes and PAYING BEFORE BOARDING-- or at least tap only) would make the transit system here go from good to great IMO

the main thing id change about the map is making a true PCH lane from at least Santa Monica to Long Beach.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
The Rapid buses suck because they still run in traffic, so it takes like 1.5 hours to go about 15 miles or so. That kind of rapid bus would be ok somewhere like SF or Chicago where a typical trip is like 5 miles max, or just a couple miles. When you have to go 10 miles or more, a bus that still runs in heavy traffic is pretty crappy. For any transit in LA to be effective, it has to be completely separated from running in traffic. The Blue Line for example takes about 1.1 hours to go 30 miles (!) because it's largely separated from traffic except for near downtown LA and downtown LB. LA needs more of that.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
The Rapid buses suck because they still run in traffic, so it takes like 1.5 hours to go about 15 miles or so. That kind of rapid bus would be ok somewhere like SF or Chicago where a typical trip is like 5 miles max, or just a couple miles. When you have to go 10 miles or more, a bus that still runs in heavy traffic is pretty crappy. For any transit in LA to be effective, it has to be completely separated from running in traffic. The Blue Line for example takes about 1.1 hours to go 30 miles (!) because it's largely separated from traffic except for near downtown LA and downtown LB. LA needs more of that.
Totally agree! Any form of transit that has to deal with traffic and LA's many traffic lights will still suck. Separation from traffic is an absolute necessity in LA. Besides monorails ala Vancouver's Skyway, LA is short on options. Actually, a monorail system might not be such a bad idea...

Old 07-21-2013, 10:52 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
LA's wide boulevards are perfect for adding bus only lanes, but the car-centric culture would never allow for this. i think something like the orange line between downtown and the coast would be a huge hit and also considerably cheaper than the subway extension that is currently under construction. property owners would never let this happen though. the expo line accomplishes this south of the 10, but one of the major boulevards north of the 10 could also use a line that is seperated from traffic, whether if be bus or rail.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:22 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
I've always been pretty satisfied with the bus system here in LA. More so than the rails. I actually enjoy the Rapid buses, those are the best kind for me. Although a BRT would be great. And then you have other bus transit agencies like Culver City and Santa Monica if you're in those areas. Although I do find that like any other public transit trip here, it works best if you're going a short distance and not across town. Traffic sucks.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Yeah the buses aren't too bad in LA if your trip is 5 miles or less. If it's more than that then it really sucks because it starts adding on exponentially more time compared with a car trip, especially if you have to make just one transfer. Problem is that everything worth doing in LA is 15 to 20 miles apart from one another.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Yeah the buses aren't too bad in LA if your trip is 5 miles or less. If it's more than that then it really sucks because it starts adding on exponentially more time compared with a car trip, especially if you have to make just one transfer. Problem is that everything worth doing in LA is 15 to 20 miles apart from one another.
That's not true at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles