U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 PM

391 posts, read 521,872 times

Advertisements

I lived in LA a couple of years ago (Santa Monica to be precise).
I love Santa Monica. It's like a small town in the big city, away from the hustle and bustle with a nice beach and cozy/friendly downtown area.

At the time however, I did not own a car so exploring the areas outside of Santa Monica was a hard task.

Now I'm moving back in a couple of months and I'm trying to figure out where I should live.
I haven't really been all the way down to Marina Del Rey, but have only seen it from Venice (looks great).

How would you compare Marina Del Rey to Santa Monica? Where would you live, and why?

I have a budget of ~$1200/month for a 1br. With that, I'd like close proximity to the beach as well as restaurants, shopping etc.

I like fancy, luxury things and clean streets, nice upscale buildings etc. are of interest. But I'd also like the place I live in to have some "soul". Some great bars and nightclubs would definately be a plus.

If there are any other areas on the West Side that you'd recommend, let me know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:56 PM

514 posts, read 612,437 times
The Marina is nice, but Santa Monica is nicer. SM has so many more dining, shopping and entertainment options. Plus, living in SaMo you get SaMo services as opposed to the Marina where you get Los Angeles city services. The beaches in SaMo are way nicer and cleaner, in my opinion, than Venice. SaMo, as you may know, has three distinct shopping and dining areas, Montana being very upscale and chic, downtown the most popular and big of all three, and Main Street with a more beachy, trendy, bohemian atmosphere. Regarding prices, $1200 seems a bit low for SaMo. I have a friend who rents a one bedroom in SaMo south of SM Blvd and north of Colorado for $1500. It is a great place to live. I did so for many years.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times
i wouldn't say SM is nicer than MDR, but there is a lot more going on. MDR is probably as expensive as SM, but in MDR you get more bang for you buck. the apartments in MDR are generally newer and larger than comparably priced units in SM. i have lived in both and was happy in both FWIW.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
I would say if you don't have a car, Santa Monica is right on several main bus lines. And Santa Monica has more employment options than Marina del Rey. Then again things probably improved since the Expo train line opened to Culver City. But when the line is finished, it will go to Santa Monica directly.

So there's more stuff in Santa Monica and better public transportation too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or