Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 AM

36 posts, read 58,591 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am from Miami and am visiting mid-October for a few days. I've had in my mind that I want to move for awhile now. Although I want to do the tourist activities that come with going for the 1st time, I am wondering if anyone has done this before and can help. I am trying to devise a way where I can mix up my days there so I can get a feel of the city (and see if I am as drawn to it as I believe), while making more arrangements to see the real side of it...neighborhoods, affordable areas, and local basic information to start off. I am interested in working in the entertainment industry, preferably in the writing aspect but am interested in other associated positions. No, I don't want to be an actress!

I am looking for natives/veteran transplants to offer any suggestions on how to go about my limited time there. I've looked into some neighborhoods and read up, yet google can only provide so much info. I'd like to have a healthy mix of both sides: first time visitor with a dose of becoming familiar with the residential aspect of it.

Thank you! It's greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 AM

143 posts, read 394,563 times
L.A. is a big, spread out city in an even bigger, spread out county, and people often use the term L.A. to include even adjoining counties, such as Orange. Where do you intend to look? What neighborhoods have interested you? Will you have a job? What about budget? In general I'd suggest staying in one place for a long period of time, but the metro area is so spread out that's not always practical if, for example, you're looking at the San Fernando Valley, Santa Monica and West Covina. It'll be hard to get a true idea of what it's like to live there in a few days. And mid-October, with often mild temps, may not truly let you know what summer heat and winter coolness are like. Maybe you'll get some Santa Ana winds.

In all seriousness, be sure to drive on the freeways and other roads at rush hour. This is car country, so you need to get a true idea of what it's like. I grew up in Van Nuys. Moved long ago, for a job, and haven't moved back at any point, but visit often and still like area (well, at least parts of it).

Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,376,337 times
Yup, LA is huge. You will not get a feel for the city by going there for a week or something, but you can get an idea of what it's like.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,387,412 times
I think Tiger108 suggestions are good. A few days won't give you too a good sense of how it would be to live in L.A

Before you come you can spend time researching areas and prices to get an idea of where you might be able to live. If you want to be in entertainment industry then living around that 'world' might be best.. but it is pretty spread out for the most part .

Affordable areas is very relative..if you're coming from NYC it looks cheap..but if from Midwest and many other areas it's super expensive. How much rent do you pay in Miami now?

How much do you plan on spending per month on housing.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 PM

51 posts, read 112,165 times
To me, LA is essentially 100+ different towns all with their own feel and vibe that bumped in to each other. Beachy, hipster, suburban, hippy, family, many ethnicities, pretty much you name it, you'll find it in different price ranges.

Try to hit up Pasadena, Los Feliz/silver lake , South Bay (hermosa), and Santa Monica/Venice. That's about as broad of a range as you'll likely want to explore.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 AM

135 posts, read 284,777 times
Good advice above.

If you are a writer, google for Ken Levine's blog. Hundreds of very useful posts there.

I always think of things in terms of "anchors" -- do you have any specific areas (out of the 100+ towns) that draw you? Any firm job opportunities? If not, are you more of a beach person? Mountain person? Suburb person? Do you want suburbia or do you want urban? Give us some idea of your budget range. All these things help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles