Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Probably the first time in 3 years I agree with you. NY Writer has only lived in LA briefly and doesn't really know what s/he's talking about. I've worked, lived, played, etc in basically every neighborhood of the westside for about 30 years, and the independent cities are always better off.

The "ghetto" of Culver City is really tame, there is no real ghetto there
Haha me too. Majoun, that response sounded right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, I don't own a small business, so I could not give a damn about business regulations in LA versus its suburbs. Perhaps you should speak from the perspective of a small business owner. I never called the cops anywhere in LA county. For that matter, I'm not regularly in the business of calling cops wherever I live.

Having set food in Culver City plenty of times, I noticed no difference in cleanliness between Venice and Culver City. I honestly preferred Venice, it had a lot of nice bars that I go to. But the thing is, just because I personally preferred Venice, I would never declare my preference the standard and declare Venice to be wonderfully better than Culver City. I know why I like Venice. I'm a bar person, I party, I am NOT AFRAID of HOMELESS people when I've LIVED in the BRONX, etc.

You sound like you're spouting right wing ideology, and you have the mindset of right winger who wants to feel safe in the suburbs, and what, avoid LA city tax? Is that what you mean by business friendly, btw?
He is talking about getting permits, going through the permitting process, etc. Business tax doesn't help but it is the process of setting up a business in Los Angeles that is so frustrating. Have heard this from multiple sources, conservative and liberal alike. You really have no idea what you are talking about and I imagine most Angelenos reading your posts are chuckling at your naivety.

I am very much a pro-Los Angeles liberal, but I agree with much of what Majoun is saying.

Last edited by munchitup; 08-13-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 01:30 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,834,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
He is talking about getting permits, going through the permitting process, etc. Business tax doesn't help but it is the process of setting up a business in Los Angeles that is so frustrating. Have heard this from multiple sources, conservative and liberal alike. You really have no idea what you are talking about and I imagine most Angelenos reading your posts are chuckling at your naivety.

I am very much a pro-Los Angeles liberal, but I agree with much of what Majoun is saying.
I actually do know what I'm talking about.

The people would say that all inner city parts of LA are so unsafe are mostly white people. So this particular person represents the interests of white small business owners, who like a certain lifestyle. I have a different lifestyle, different interests, and I'm not a small business owner so I don't give a FLYING **** about the business permitting process. I really don't.

This type of white person would really like to live in an unincorporated part of LA or a suburb with minimal public transportation (can't have more immigrants and non whites and the poor coming in, can we?)

I'll always prefer Venice over Marina Del Rey, and I'm certainly not afraid to be in areas with other people of color, immigrants, or poor people. I wouldn't do Skid Row or Compton, but West LA is perfectly fine to me. Hollywood is perfectly fine to me. Silver Lake was perfectly fine to me.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 AM

26,598 posts, read 26,498,592 times
Quote:
I actually do know what I'm talking about. The people would say that all inner city parts of LA are so unsafe are mostly white people.
Baloney.

Quote:
I'll always prefer Venice over Marina Del Rey, and I'm certainly not afraid to be in areas with other people of color, immigrants, or poor people.
Really? Have you ever lived in Venice? Has your house been burglarized or your car broken into? And BTW, your concept of who does this is dead wrong. In both our cases, the kids caught were "white people."

Old 08-14-2013, 10:26 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Quote:

This type of white person would really like to live in an unincorporated part of LA or a suburb with minimal public transportation (can't have more immigrants and non whites and the poor coming in, can we?)
Let's see, Culver City has the Expo Line, and Burbank has Metrolink. What rail transit does Venice have?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Another reason why it's better NOT to live within L.A. city limits - Bottom line on curb and street repair is bad news for homeowners - latimes.com

This article is about Mar Vista vis-a-vis Culver City but it could apply to Hollywood, Fairfax, or Miracle Mile vis-a-vis West Hollywood

Old 08-14-2013, 01:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,266,908 times
Quote:
I actually do know what I'm talking about.

The people would say that all inner city parts of LA are so unsafe are mostly white people. So this particular person represents the interests of white small business owners, who like a certain lifestyle. I have a different lifestyle, different interests, and I'm not a small business owner so I don't give a FLYING **** about the business permitting process. I really don't.

I'll always prefer Venice over Marina Del Rey, and I'm certainly not afraid to be in areas with other people of color, immigrants, or poor people. I wouldn't do Skid Row or Compton, but West LA is perfectly fine to me. Hollywood is perfectly fine to me. Silver Lake was perfectly fine to me.
So maybe you don't give a flying whatever about the business permitting process, but millions of Americans who work - including plenty of nonwhites (Korean liquor store owner ring any bells? Hispanic taqueria? Car repair places?) - survive by running small business.

You talk about how cool you are with "minorities" but you sound like a privileged artsy white hipster kid. your ideas would end up hurting people of color because they are the ones hurt most by crime, gang violence, and anti business policies.

None of us posting has issues with people of color. We may be people of color ourselves for all you know. Plenty of very diverse areas are as safe as the majority white rich neighborhoods. East Hollywood and Silver Lake are perfectly fine for me too, I would just be a little more wary at certain hours of the night.

Going back to the original post, I expressed concern about East WeHo (bordering the "sketchy" part of Hollywood) not about race. A lot of the trouble I see is actually with white people who are transient drug addicts in that area. Some are black, some are Latin, some are white. It all depends.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:07 PM

I grew up in a town where as a white kid I was a near-minority or there was a 50/50 split between Hispanic and White.

I am strongly considering moving to East Hollywood, which is strongly Hispanic. My second option is Mid-City, which is strongly Black and Hispanic. I am certainly not racist or afraid of "brown" people. I will not move to a neighborhood without transit access.

However there are some definite benefits to living outside of Los Angeles city limits. Like any giant bureaucracy Los Angeles government is bloated and it makes things difficult to accomplish.

You may not think it affects you that it takes a year to get a liquor license, or outdoor seating permit - until you realize your neighborhood would have vastly more amenities if it was just more efficient for a small business owner (as disgruntled said, often non-white) to set up shop.

And as others have said, the people I fear most in this city are unhinged transients such as the ones that murdered that girl on Hollywood Blvd. These people are typically white, though not exclusively.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 PM

16 posts, read 67,282 times
My son lives in an apartment on Formosa just north of Santa Monica Blvd. Is that known as a sketchy area? He probably wouldn't tell me, because he knows I'd worry if it is dangerous. I live in a Chicago suburb & can't afford to visit now.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,266,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emokriski View Post
My son lives in an apartment on Formosa just north of Santa Monica Blvd. Is that known as a sketchy area? He probably wouldn't tell me, because he knows I'd worry if it is dangerous. I live in a Chicago suburb & can't afford to visit now.
Not bad. Perfectly fine during the day. At night I wouldn't encourage someone to drunkenly stumble around, but overall it's safe.

A few blocks to the east gets a little dicey though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles