Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:36 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

I heard from a friend that WeHo is not all this super gentrified squeaky clean area, that there are some areas headed East that are quite sketchy and some of clubs and bars out there are a bit sketchy too. Is this true? If so where are these parts.

I had awaits thought of WeHo as being rather clean and safe. Although I do see all these billboards war ing about meth use!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:12 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I heard from a friend that WeHo is not all this super gentrified squeaky clean area, that there are some areas headed East that are quite sketchy and some of clubs and bars out there are a bit sketchy too. Is this true? If so where are these parts.

I had awaits thought of WeHo as being rather clean and safe. Although I do see all these billboards war ing about meth use!
You say "gentrified" as if its a good thing. Weho is completely bougie now. The only somewhat impoverished parts might be in the rent stabilized properties where the Russians live. If they are property owners, their homes are probably worth a pretty penny now. The homes are not really maintained, but I wouldn't say that they are high crime areas. Meth abuse is pretty common among some gay communities. I wouldn't correlate with high crime.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM

The guy said there were some less than desirable looking places and bars/clubs headed east toward La Brea. Lots of homelessness and hookers. I just don't believe it. WeHO is too bougie.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
The eastern end of WeHo, which is along Santa Monica Blvd and Fountain Ave from about Fairfax to La Brea is a little sketchy. It's the heavily Russian rent controlled part of WeHo, and it borders the rundown part of Hollywood with lots of tranny hookers, drug dealers, etc. While Hollywood and Sunset Blvd is mostly gentrified with tons of new developments, Santa Monica Blvd east of La Brea is still the troubled area it's always been. And the east part of WeHo borders that area, since WeHo ends at La Brea.

But west of Fairfax, WeHo is mostly nice and fancy. The best parts border Beverly Hills (Norma Triangle and WeHo West, which also borders Cedars Sinai/Beverly Center). That area is mostly interchangeable with Beverly hills except the homes are smaller.

Another slightly "off" part of WeHo is San Vicente, Larrabee, and Palm from Santa Monica blvd to Sunset. Lots of homeless congregate around the nightlife, the gay bars down on Santa Monica and the music venues/dives on Sunset.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Hoards of drunks fill the streets of WeHo's club & bar districts. Obviously things can get very dicey around those parts.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
The guy said there were some less than desirable looking places and bars/clubs headed east toward La Brea. Lots of homelessness and hookers. I just don't believe it. WeHO is too bougie.
The guy was exaggerating.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM

He didn't say it was Compton like. Just not as nice. It was more of a back hand comment like you don't want to go there. He said stay off Romaine.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
He didn't say it was Compton like. Just not as nice. It was more of a back hand comment like you don't want to go there. He said stay off Romaine.
Romaine east of Fairfax goes through the heart of ruskieville. Given their disapproval of gays, walking through there should probably be avoided. I still don't think that it represents any REAL danger.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:02 PM

It's not that the guy thought I should wear a bulletproof vest but that its not bougie and there is some nightly activity like hookers and dealers.

He also said there was a gay club or bar down that area but I haven't seen one. Are there any gay clubs that the more bougie residents of WeHo would find questionable. The only one I saw that remotely looked "sketchy" was one headed down Santa Monica toward Cahuenga but that's already entering into LA, not WeHo

Old 08-11-2013, 09:22 PM

The clubs called Arena of anyone's heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles