Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Yeah, I think I am aiming for downtown. It seems exciting time to live there a lot of changes and that is actually why I was interested in places like Logan Square or Avondale. They are up and coming neighborhoods that still haven't lost their grit, and it seems like downtown LA is like that. How expensive is it though?

Matching COL, Chicago's downtown is expensive to live in. In LA compared to the rest of the city is downtown considered one of the most expensive neighborhoods or more in the middle?
I love Logan Square, one of my favorite neighborhoods in Chicago. Downtown LA is not like that, but it's definitely a place that is changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 12:04 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I love Logan Square, one of my favorite neighborhoods in Chicago. Downtown LA is not like that, but it's definitely a place that is changing.
Well what I mean is that I like those transitional neighborhoods. The ones that have the grit but at the same time are in the upswing. It seems like downtown LA is in that stage right now. I think it makes for an exciting coffee.

I mean sounds lame, but everytime they open a new restuarant in Logan Square in Avondale or a new bar, it's excitement. Where I feel like in Lakeview and Lincoln Park and even Wicker Park, they are a dime a dozen.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:08 PM

928 posts, read 1,712,931 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think I am aiming for downtown. It seems exciting time to live there a lot of changes and that is actually why I was interested in places like Logan Square or Avondale. They are up and coming neighborhoods that still haven't lost their grit, and it seems like downtown LA is like that. How expensive is it though?

Matching COL, Chicago's downtown is expensive to live in. In LA compared to the rest of the city is downtown considered one of the most expensive neighborhoods or more in the middle?
Not to sound like a cheerleader for K-Town again, but it is probably comparable to Avondale (obviously not the same, but close enough) or Logan Square with a significantly smaller hipster quotient.

Re: COL, downtown LA is A LOT more expensive than the Loop is comparatively to the rest of Chicago. It's pretty ridiculous, actually. In my estimation, Chicago is generally affordable, then some of the north side, lake-adjacent neighborhoods are more expensive, and a nice place in The Loop is a little more expensive than that. Basically, if you can afford Lincoln Park, you can probably afford a smaller version of your apartment downtown. But LA seems to be insane with its downtown housing prices, which I've mixed feelings about considering up until maybe 15 years ago, nobody actually lived there. Hurrah for more residents actually living downtown, as opposed to just working there and promptly fleeing at 5:00 pm, but boo for the rents being on the wrong side of sanity.

Sometimes I like to think that I would like to live there or in Little Tokyo (which is right next door to downtown, or actually in it, depending on who you ask), then I remember that I'd have to fork over my entire paycheck for rent.

And just so you know, I lived in LA my entire life until 2007, visit regularly (I miss the fam bam), and as you may know from reading these boards, live in Chicago now. I'd like to think I've got a good handle on both cities. I throw that out there because on the internet, you get a lot of opinions based on what people have heard or read, but I wanted to insert that I know both towns personally from experience. Now that I bring it up, I realize the only two states for which I've had a drivers license (though I lived in a third state, which was terrible) are CA and IL. I actually just ditched my CA license earlier this year. Not gonna lie. I cried a little bit when they took it from me. But enough about that...

Old 08-17-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Not to sound like a cheerleader for K-Town again, but it is probably comparable to Avondale (obviously not the same, but close enough) or Logan Square with a significantly smaller hipster quotient.

Re: COL, downtown LA is A LOT more expensive than the Loop is comparatively to the rest of Chicago. It's pretty ridiculous, actually. In my estimation, Chicago is generally affordable, then some of the north side, lake-adjacent neighborhoods are more expensive, and a nice place in The Loop is a little more expensive than that. Basically, if you can afford Lincoln Park, you can probably afford a smaller version of your apartment downtown. But LA seems to be insane with its downtown housing prices, which I've mixed feelings about considering up until maybe 15 years ago, nobody actually lived there. Hurrah for more residents actually living downtown, as opposed to just working there and promptly fleeing at 5:00 pm, but boo for the rents being on the wrong side of sanity.

Sometimes I like to think that I would like to live there or in Little Tokyo (which is right next door to downtown, or actually in it, depending on who you ask), then I remember that I'd have to fork over my entire paycheck for rent.

And just so you know, I lived in LA my entire life until 2007, visit regularly (I miss the fam bam), and as you may know from reading these boards, live in Chicago now. I'd like to think I've got a good handle on both cities. I throw that out there because on the internet, you get a lot of opinions based on what people have heard or read, but I wanted to insert that I know both towns personally from experience. Now that I bring it up, I realize the only two states for which I've had a drivers license (though I lived in a third state, which was terrible) are CA and IL. I actually just ditched my CA license earlier this year. Not gonna lie. I cried a little bit when they took it from me. But enough about that...
Thanks for that input I truly appreciate it. For me I just want to make sure I have enough money at the end of the month to enjoy life in the city and be able to explore the rest of that state on a regular basis. Definitely will look into KTown. Also considering a roommate, cause maybe that will also help make friends. I have a few friends that live in LA from Chicago, but still would be nice to meet some non-Chicagoans when I go out there.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,699 times
Quote:
For me I just want to make sure I have enough money at the end of the month to enjoy life in the city and be able to explore the rest of that state on a regular basis.
$65-70k would be roughly $3400-4000 take home pay per month depending on health care premiums and what (if any) you contribute towards retirement savings. If you save 6% towards retirement (which is low IMO), and you deduct $600-700 a month for debt payment, that puts you under $3k/mo. for everything else. That's going to be tough to do IMO paying LA rents without a roommate. Without your student loans it would be much easier to survive on that salary range. My suggestion would be to:

A) Go here and figure out what you take home pay will be: http://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/salary/

B) Put together a realistic budget for your take home pay.

Last edited by Dunbar42; 08-17-2013 at 03:35 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 08:05 PM

28 posts, read 74,281 times
I lived in Chicago seven years and just moved to LA a month ago. I live in Westwood, which is very walkable, urban, close to downtown, has good bus service, and isn't completely WASP-y (lots of Persians, Jews, East Asians, etc). However, it's definitely upscale--more like Lincoln Park than Logan Square. I pay around 1800/month for a 2-bedroom.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphita View Post
I lived in Chicago seven years and just moved to LA a month ago. I live in Westwood, which is very walkable, urban, close to downtown, has good bus service, and isn't completely WASP-y (lots of Persians, Jews, East Asians, etc). However, it's definitely upscale--more like Lincoln Park than Logan Square. I pay around 1800/month for a 2-bedroom.
It's not really close to downtown. At least not in the way the OP was looking for.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post

That's crazy. Last time I was in LA was about 5 years ago. I know it has been changing but I am so surprised that it is so expensive for what it is. I had thought it would be comparable more to the South Loop, Edgewater, North Center, Lincoln Square etc.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
That's crazy. Last time I was in LA was about 5 years ago. I know it has been changing but I am so surprised that it is so expensive for what it is. I had thought it would be comparable more to the South Loop, Edgewater, North Center, Lincoln Square etc.
It's definitely a bit overpriced. There is a really huge rental crunch in DTLAs neighborhoods. It should ease up a bit when all of the current construction comes online.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:17 PM

180 posts, read 327,739 times
[quote=Chicagoist123;30948121]
Here are some wants:
-Place that is very walkable, meaning I can easily walk to the grocery store, restaurants and bars.
-I don't want my commute to work to be more than 40 minutes
-I want there to be streetlife, meaning people walking, jogging etc.
-Easy access to the train. While I would have a car, my preference in commuting would be via public transportation[quote]

ahahahahaha. You must live under a rock! LA is the car capital of the world. I'm from Chicago and LA is nothing like it. Get used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles