Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,089 times

Advertisements

I applied to move into my apartment sometime in April 2009. I was approved and signed my lease right around the same time - quite possibly the same day - who knows. I moved here in June 2009 and have lived here ever since. 4 years and 2 months. My apartment management now claims that I did not pay a $40 application fee when I was approved for my apartment. This claim follows at least 3 other claims of random fees that I've owed and proven otherwise. Other than trying to get access to my bank statements from a bank I no longer belong to as it is a local bank from the previous state I lived in, is there anything that I can do?

It seems a little illogical for an apartment management company to claim I owe an application fee from 4 years ago and they absolutely refuse to provide me any proof. I have asked for a copy of my rental application with my signature agreeing to pay an application fee, I have asked for the date that I applied, I have asked for any form of "proof of claim" and they refuse - claiming I have to show them proof and they owe me nothing.

Can they legally ask me to pay an application fee 4 years after I was approved? Can they legally ask me to pay for something without providing me proof and/or copy of a signature of agreement to pay? I mean, they obviously approved me, I have a lease - I've lived here for all this time. My manager keeps trying to harass me into paying and I keep asking for proof. She now says I "have" to pay it with my September rent and that when I get proof they'll refund me. I don't "have" to do anything... so I'm just trying to find out what else I can do other than searching for 4 year old bank statements/checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 11:33 AM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
I am a bit curious as to what you pay for rent, compared to other tenants in the same property.
It appears they are looking for ways to get you out so they can raise the rent.
As much as this looks like a scam, if you can't find the proof that you paid it, you will have to, if you intend to stay there.
Something bothers me about this situation.
I don't know how that property management company operates, but in my business, when a rental application is submitted for approval, and verification, the perspective tenants submit the application fee when they submit the application.
Right on the spot, I giver them a receipt for the application fee.
Without the fee, the application doesn't get processed.
It is just common sense to operate this way.
My advice would be to pay it, and that will be the end of it.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles