Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by withaquicknes View Post
Do not move to Glendora, Ca. if you have children or teenagers. My family has lived here for 16 years and I have been here for the last 3 years. Glendora is not a teen or child friendly town. The police department is very hard on the young ones. The community is safe, yes but that brings much boredom to the Police department here. They like to harass for things like J-walking, your kid not wearing a helmet while on a bike or skateboard. Pulling people over for a cracked windshield. They are very popular for pulling over teens and young adults for minor things. The police dont bend for anything, no courtesy for anything. If they can cite you then they will no matter how petty.
and why shouldn't they be hard on teens?? We lived in Glendora for many years, my husband was raised there, many of his friends still live in the town, there is a reason for the police actions. I would rather see that than see kids running wild..Glendora is one of the best places in the SGV to raise a family. Sorry your kids have had problems with the cops. My son had a few run ins as well. You know what, they were deserved...

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Both towns are great, but depending on what you are looking for, I think Glendora, especially above Foothill Blvd would be a slightly better choice. You will get a little more house for you buck in Rancho C, but when it comes time to re-locate you will not see as much appreciation either. The best thing going for Glendora, great schools, friendly people and a wonderful family oriented community, away from the hussle bussle of the big city and yet, close enough to offer good shoppig, good medical facilities and decent entertainment...

Nita

Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,167 times
I used to live in Rancho Cucamonga and loved it. It is clean, safe and very convenient. Very freeway accessible but also has everything you need right there. I now live in San Antonio Heights area of North Upland. It is considered very prestigious and has great schools. We have been very disappointed because it is not very family oriented and so boring! The city is not very pretty or as well kept as Rancho Cucamonga. The schools in the Etiwanda area of Rancho Cucamonga are excellent and no crime. Look in the 91739 zip code. We are planning on moving back there in June. My children also prefer it. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2015, 05:27 PM

755 posts, read 674,985 times
I have the same question today. Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is my exact quandary. What are the areas like today?

I read another thread on San Dimas/La Verne/ Glendora, it was pretty informative, but I never considered Rancho, which is where my wife would probably be employed.

I have been gone from LA (SFV) for 10 years now, so I am out of the loop.

Oh, moving back from Arizona. So please don't tell me about the IE heat issues

Old 05-22-2015, 09:47 PM

426 posts, read 423,717 times
Claremont is the best choice because your still in LA county, light rail in the future, great downtown, good school, cooler weather and less wind.

Rancho is a good choice because you'll have less commute, great downtown and good school.

If your buying, be careful because newer houses will.have higher property tax in rancho.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Claremont is the best choice because your still in LA county, light rail in the future, great downtown, good school, cooler weather and less wind.

Rancho is a good choice because you'll have less commute, great downtown and good school.

If your buying, be careful because newer houses will.have higher property tax in rancho.
Thank you so very much

Your advice is highly appreciated. Yea, I was wondering if LA county made a difference.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 PM

34 posts, read 54,309 times
Glendora is my vote. Claremont is nice but it has that "uppity" intellectual vibe from the colleges that I don't like. San Dimas and La Verne share schools (Bonita district) and the nicest parts of these areas are the same as Glendora but they have some sketchy areas, problems with gangs (punk white kids trying to be skinheads, and punk hispanic kids trying to be cholos). Rancho and Upland are similar, north of Foothill is nice south of Foothill is trashy but unlike the places in LA county its newer development. Some people like the "newness" but the trend in the IE is that once new areas aren't so new they get trashy because there is so much open space and people move on to the next new thing. That's why I prefer a more established place because you know what you're getting into. Claremont is upper class liberal, Glendora is upper middle class and San Dimas and La Verne are a mix of middle class and blue collar. They (Glendora, San Dimas, and La Verne) are also the only reliably republican places in LA county so take that how you like.

County doesn't make a difference as both LA county and SB county aren't the greatest examples of good government anyway. It would make a difference of you were looking in the SFV and trying to choose between Ventura and LA or looking to the South and choosing between OC and LA, both of which are better run.

My vote goes for either Glendora or Claremont. Glendora if you want a more middle class traditional city and Claremont if you're into the intellectual, college, liberal type scene.

Be careful in Pomona, not a safe place. My dad grew up there 50 years ago and it has gotten worse not better.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encino.Man View Post
Glendora is my vote. Claremont is nice but it has that "uppity" intellectual vibe from the colleges that I don't like. San Dimas and La Verne share schools (Bonita district) and the nicest parts of these areas are the same as Glendora but they have some sketchy areas, problems with gangs (punk white kids trying to be skinheads, and punk hispanic kids trying to be cholos). Rancho and Upland are similar, north of Foothill is nice south of Foothill is trashy but unlike the places in LA county its newer development. Some people like the "newness" but the trend in the IE is that once new areas aren't so new they get trashy because there is so much open space and people move on to the next new thing. That's why I prefer a more established place because you know what you're getting into. Claremont is upper class liberal, Glendora is upper middle class and San Dimas and La Verne are a mix of middle class and blue collar. They (Glendora, San Dimas, and La Verne) are also the only reliably republican places in LA county so take that how you like.

County doesn't make a difference as both LA county and SB county aren't the greatest examples of good government anyway. It would make a difference of you were looking in the SFV and trying to choose between Ventura and LA or looking to the South and choosing between OC and LA, both of which are better run.

My vote goes for either Glendora or Claremont. Glendora if you want a more middle class traditional city and Claremont if you're into the intellectual, college, liberal type scene.

Be careful in Pomona, not a safe place. My dad grew up there 50 years ago and it has gotten worse not better.

Thanks for the detailed post; I know about Pomona, that is definitely a no go. Thanks for the gang info. Glendora or Claremont sound like winners. I have heard nothing but positive about Glendora from friends and on City Data. I use to think "safe" and "sleepy" were bad qualities, but when you have a 4 year old daughter, that is what you are looking for.

I could live in a liberal or conservative neighborhoods, the older I get the more conservative I get, but I am not a crazed political person, even though I have strong values. Definitely do not want super liberal though!

Thanks for your input, especially on San Dimas. I will cross that off of my list for sure.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:49 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encino.Man View Post
Claremont is nice but it has that "uppity" intellectual vibe from the colleges that I don't like.
You must be kidding.

Quote:
San Dimas and La Verne share schools (Bonita district) and the nicest parts of these areas are the same as Glendora but they have some sketchy areas, problems with gangs (punk white kids trying to be skinheads, and punk hispanic kids trying to be cholos).
Each one of these cities has sketchy areas.

Quote:
Claremont is upper class liberal, Glendora is upper middle class and San Dimas and La Verne are a mix of middle class and blue collar.
There are plenty of blue collar mixed with white collar workers in all these cities, Glendora included. Less so in Claremont. Claremont has the best public school district, followed by Glendora, then La Verne and San Dimas.

Quote:
Be careful in Pomona, not a safe place.
Pomona has a very nice historic district that is safe. However, PUSD ranks toward the bottom of the state.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:13 PM

34 posts, read 54,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
Thanks for the detailed post; I know about Pomona, that is definitely a no go. Thanks for the gang info. Glendora or Claremont sound like winners. I have heard nothing but positive about Glendora from friends and on City Data. I use to think "safe" and "sleepy" were bad qualities, but when you have a 4 year old daughter, that is what you are looking for.

I could live in a liberal or conservative neighborhoods, the older I get the more conservative I get, but I am not a crazed political person, even though I have strong values. Definitely do not want super liberal though!

Thanks for your input, especially on San Dimas. I will cross that off of my list for sure.
You don't have to avoid San Dimas, as long as you stay above Foothill and don't live in or adjacent to a trailer park I can almost guarantee you will have no issues. When I spoke about gangs I was being very generous. These arent East LA gangs (well technically the whole area you're looking at is in East LA but you know what I mean) but just bored suburban boys being all hormonal and going through their tough guy phase. Nobody is gonna shoot you, worse that will happen is graffiti but that can happen anywhere, even Malibu. The only reason that La Verne and San Dimas aren't as nice as Glendora is because San Dimas has a trailer park and there is some more modest housing in spots that opens up the area to a "lower class of buyer". I don't know the statistics but since there was a lot of building in that area pre recession I am willing to bet than any problems come from homes bought overpriced then that have become rentals. If you live on a block with a high level of owner occupation then there won't be issues. San Dimas is a very nice area and those three little cities are the only spots in LA county that I would call "solid middle class". Don't write these areas off just stay above Foothill man! Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask I know that whole area like the back of my hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles