U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:18 PM

128 posts, read 542,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I can relate to what you're saying, I was just repeating what some friends of mine living in SF told me.

I don't think someone who wasn't from SF would say such a thing, as SF certainly feels safer than LA does to a non-native, mainly because it feels friendlier than LA as I stated. There's more human interaction and that gives one a feeling of safety even if it is illusory. However, to people who live in SF, the rise in crime is causing a certain sense of fear in the resident population.
Apparently that includes stabbings, shootings, murders, burglary, and a lot of panhandling. The diversity of human interaction in SF beguiles me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 PM

128 posts, read 542,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
I think SF is a violent city, but personally if I had to guess I'd guess that LA has more violent crime per capita.
Please read posts carefully as the third one in this thread (by AVman) already established the fact that SF is MORE VIOLENT PER CAPITA than LA.

Quote:
As an FYI, I found the FBI crime statistics (2006):

Violent Crime Rate per 10,000 people
Los Angeles -- 78.7
San Francisco -- 87.6
Oakland -- 189.6

Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM

25,291 posts, read 33,026,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertho View Post
Apparently that includes stabbings, shootings, murders, burglary, and a lot of panhandling. The diversity of human interaction in SF beguiles me.
Yes, that pretty much describes San Francisco and nowhere else.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:07 AM

358 posts, read 1,424,574 times
Quote:
Please read posts carefully as the third one in this thread (by AVman) already established the fact that SF is MORE VIOLENT PER CAPITA than LA.
It's a fact that there are more violent crimes recorded per capita in SF than LA for at least one of the last 10 years. That doesn't mean that there *is* more violent crime per capita. There are too many variables from place to place to assume that they are 100% accurate. Just look at the NYC forum, there is even an NYPD officer that has posted there arguing that NYPD systematically lies about their crime stats. I already gave an example of assaults in LA magically cutting in half in 2005 and 2006 compared with each of the five years before that... obviously that did not actually happen - all that happened was a change in recording crime stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And it has nothing to do with hispanics at all.
I wonder how many people feel differently. 95% of outstanding warrants in LA are for illegals, and two thirds of felony warrants are for illegals. Obviously a huge amount of the Hispanics in LA are there legally, but most of the illegals in LA are Hispanic.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:34 AM

12,009 posts, read 13,510,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
It's a fact that there are more violent crimes recorded per capita in SF than LA for at least one of the last 10 years. That doesn't mean that there *is* more violent crime per capita. There are too many variables from place to place to assume that they are 100% accurate. Just look at the NYC forum, there is even an NYPD officer that has posted there arguing that NYPD systematically lies about their crime stats.
The "old" LAPD (under Gates) systematically inflated gang membership. I remember seeing a cop in Pacific Palisades back in the 80s threaten some white teenagers busted for selling pot in the park there with being listed as 18th Street members on their arrest records if they resisted in any way. I'd read about this happening in other places, and it probably became a self fulfilling prophecy - not amongst white kids in the Palisades, but amongst nonwhite kids in East LA, Downtown LA, South Central, etc. Kids who were labelled as gang members, became gang members.

Anyways, anyone can claim to have secret inside police sources or even claim to be a police officer on the forums, as they are anonymous to the general public.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 PM

723 posts, read 2,191,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Much of SF is perfectly safe, just as much of LA is perfectly safe - but only a fool would deny the obvious truth.

What is obvious?

I was looking for SOME sort of study to back up people's "feelings." People have nostalgia, memories and 'warm' ideas about SF. Crime rate tables, and statistics dispel the warm buttery BS that people tell themselves.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 PM

12,009 posts, read 13,510,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
What is obvious?

I was looking for SOME sort of study to back up people's "feelings." People have nostalgia, memories and 'warm' ideas about SF. Crime rate tables, and statistics dispel the warm buttery BS that people tell themselves.

What's obvious is that SF is now more dangerous than LA is, as you are saying. Statistics (and what one can read in the Chronicle, and what actual San Franciscans say as opposed to tourists) back this up.

And Oakland is now not only the most dangerous city in California but the 4th most dangerous in the US (behind only Detroit, St. Louis and Flint) - the only other one of the 10 most dangerous cities in California is Richmond.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...W0bHQD8T0EUK03

Old 11-19-2007, 09:03 PM

636 posts, read 1,848,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I knew that LA had a lower crime rate than SF and Oakland, but I agree that many would likely assume the opposite--especially in light of the misrepresentations and general negativity about LA in City Data forums.
Lived up north years ago. At the time SF had pick pocketing and crime on the buses and subways.. That kind of crime I don't hear as much about in LA. Pick pocketing was Rampant! Women's purses would be cut from the bottom to remove the wallet.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
What is obvious?

Agreed. Like any city, SF had it's negative points... Fog in morning, crime, and expensive housing.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:

SF is all city. You can live in the CITY of LA yet never venture into the city... living in suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles