Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
I'd like to see tickets issued for people that drive under the limit, holding up traffic while talking on their cell phones.
lol. Tell it like it is. Pass the Cell Phone Law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:45 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Give people an inch, they take a mile... etc.

You will have the exact same traffic with widening.
People don't know how to drive, and our laws are designed to CREATE traffic.

Until the LAWS change, traffic will always exist. You can give people 26 lanes in each direction, and until they are FORCED [laws] to drive properly (as opposed to being forced [laws]to cause traffic), traffic will always be an issue.
I agree that eventually you will have the exact same traffic with widening. In the meantime, there is a marked improvement in traffic conditions. Since the traffic flows from the burbs to the city in the morning, and vice versa, the growth in these outlying areas will eventually lead to traffic jams on new or widened highways.

For example, I would allow one hour and 45 minutes for the 50 mile commute from the AV to Van Nuys. When the HOV lane was added, it shaved 45-50 minutes off that time. Eventually, with the increase in population, the HOV lane became a parking lot in the SCV area of Canyon Country.

Since the time from inception to completion of a highway project can be 15 years, we are always playing catch-up. Add to the mix pro-environmentalists, like former governor Jerry Brown and Caltrans director Adriana Gianturco, and nothing at all is accomplished.

I do believe, however, that most drivers do know the rules, with the exception of newcomers to the state. I consider myself to be a very knowledgeable driver - I was a licensed instructor in SoCal - but the fear of arriving late to a company meeting and being embarrassed in front of my peers overrode whatever good sense I possessed, and I could become a fire-breathing, speeding, tailgating jerk at times.

If living near the job is not an option, and an acceptable method of mass transportation isn't available, then I think that the OP should just allow extra time for the commute and try to relax, as difficult as that may be.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 AM

Adding a NON-HOV lane will do wonders for both commuters of West L.A. San Fern San Clari Antelo Val. Let's do the math, the major congestion problem is the crawl over the Sepulveda Pass. There are currently four lanes and one HOV lane. If you add an extra lane mixed-flow lane your going to reduce traffic by 20% or 1/5. This new mixed-flow lane along with on-off ramp improvements will significantly reduce traffic. I know CalTrans Alternative 3 will pass, they have already showed they are not fearful of Brentwood NIMBYs. We've never seen major relief on freeways in the L.A. area, because they've only built those inefficient HOV lanes.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Adding a NON-HOV lane will do wonders for both commuters of West L.A. San Fern San Clari Antelo Val. Let's do the math, the major congestion problem is the crawl over the Sepulveda Pass. There are currently four lanes and one HOV lane. If you add an extra lane mixed-flow lane your going to reduce traffic by 20% or 1/5. This new mixed-flow lane along with on-off ramp improvements will significantly reduce traffic. I know CalTrans Alternative 3 will pass, they have already showed they are not fearful of Brentwood NIMBYs. We've never seen major relief on freeways in the L.A. area, because they've only built those inefficient HOV lanes.
Rather than another lane down the 405, I would rather see a light rail line with stops at major cross streets all the way down such as roscoe, sherman way, ventura blvd, sunset, wilshire, santa monica etc.

After a rail line is built, I would also like to see the 405 northbound entrance ramps at sunset blvd and moraga closed.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
Whoa! Who said anything about 90mph speed limits.

I'm an advocate of NO speed limits! Even within city limits. 90mph is nothing for most modern cars. The acceleration, braking and handling of most modern cars (even civics and camrys can do this with ease) is well about the 90mph mark.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am also all for a structured driving environment:

-Slower traffic keep right.
-Illegal to pass on the right.

Those TWO laws ensure that drivers are aware of other drivers behind them and around them. Because they have to pay attention to the cars around them. These causes ALL of the B.S. to stop.

Speed becomes irrelevant. Yes, I agree for surface streets, school zones, etc. there would need to be speed limits. But until people are forced to be relational on the road, traffic will continue to get worse as technology allows them to pay attention less.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Rather than another lane down the 405, I would rather see a light rail line with stops at major cross streets all the way down such as roscoe, sherman way, ventura blvd, sunset, wilshire, santa monica etc.

After a rail line is built, I would also like to see the 405 northbound entrance ramps at sunset blvd and moraga closed.
The light rail is an excellent idea, but will cost to much money. Besides what street will you build the light rail on, subway will cost way to much for that distance. The MTA is on an extremely tight budget. There's no businesses in the Sepulveda pass which is a few miles long, and because of it's distance will cost more. Build Exposition Line to Santa Monica, Gold Line East Side Extension Part 2 first, Get rid of more congestion.

My idea: North South Transit in the San Fernando Valley, take commuters off the 405 freeway. Much cheaper!!

Old 11-27-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
The light rail is an excellent idea, but will cost to much money. Besides what street will you build the light rail on, subway will cost way to much for that distance. The MTA is on an extremely tight budget. There's no businesses in the Sepulveda pass which is a few miles long, and because of it's distance will cost more. Build Exposition Line to Santa Monica, Gold Line East Side Extension Part 2 first, Get rid of more congestion.

My idea: North South Transit in the San Fernando Valley, take commuters off the 405 freeway. Much cheaper!!
Id like to get them out of the cars completely, especially the ones that live in the valley and beyond who drive to los angeles. Run the rail right down the side of the frwy along the shoulder.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Whoa! Who said anything about 90mph speed limits. I'm an advocate of NO speed limits!
If people would simply get out of my way, I would happy.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:40 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
Quote:
If people would simply get out of my way, I would happy.
Read what I wrote. A 'relational' driving system would ensure for that.

-Slower traffic stay right (yield to faster moving vehicles)
-Illegal to pass on the Right (this is the most dangerous passing situation)

Removes all traffic with the exception of people exiting highways, and even then- it greatly improves "exiting" scenarios.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:47 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,417,835 times
Quote:
Read what I wrote. A 'relational' driving system would ensure for that.

-Slower traffic stay right (yield to faster moving vehicles)
-Illegal to pass on the Right (this is the most dangerous passing situation)

Removes all traffic with the exception of people exiting highways, and even then- it greatly improves "exiting" scenarios.
That is already the way it is. The fact that people don't obey them is their fault. LA is a big place, do you want the cops on the highway or stopping serious crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles