Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 AM

490 posts, read 680,195 times

Advertisements

Some friends of mine are considering a cheap hotel deal in Redondo Beach area, near the marina. Saving themselves a lot of cash apparently versus staying in Santa Monica.

They're a late 30's couple with no kids.

How is this area generally, and is it a reasonably easy drive to other areas such as Santa Monica, Hollywood, Downtown etc. They're renting a car anyway and happy to clock up a few miles.

I've never been to this particular part of LA so your opinions and inside knowledge would be very welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 AM

23,324 posts, read 23,716,980 times
The area near Redondo Beach Pier is safe and fine. In terms of driving, it would depend on the time of day, knowing the traffic in LA.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:43 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,682,368 times
Generally you can find a cheap hotel in hollywood for about the same price. Budget inn, rodeway inn, etc comes to mind.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:24 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,998,088 times
Santa Monica is a lot more walkable and has more restaurants and places to go shopping. Redondo Beach will have much less of those things but they'll be close to Hermosa and Manhattan Beach which will give them more options. The drive to Santa Monica or Hollywood could take 1+ hour in traffic so I'd advise driving there/back between 9am and 2pm during the week (traffic on the weekend is much less predictable.) IMO they should stay in Redondo Beach if they like more of a beach-bum atmosphere, not because it's cheaper.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:10 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,977,513 times
Which hotel near the Redondo Pier is cheap? Redondo Beach is one of my favorite places, I'd love to know about a cheap place to stay there and spend a whole week just doing things in the south bay. (But, if the goal is to do things in LA, I should also point out staying in Redondo could give them an annoyingly far drive.)

Old 09-01-2013, 02:15 PM

Sorry, can't remember which hotel they mentioned. Maybe Best Western but I might be wrong.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,336 times
Avoid the Crowne Plaza like the plague. Yes, the location is ideal - right across the street from the marina, and a very short walk to the pier, but this is the most poorly run hotel I have ever stayed at. Staff and management are completely incompetent, parking is a rip-off, and their policies are ridiculous. In general I like Redondo Beach a lot, but will never stay at the Crowne Plaza again. Getting from there to Santa Monica or, worse yet Malibu, can be a challenge depending on the time of day (45 minutes to Santa Monica is not unusual), but then again, where isn't traffic bad in LA? I used to live in Orange County, and it's no better down there. Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your stay in LA!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 AM

103 posts, read 166,930 times
I've stayed at the Best Western right there by the pier and it was cheap & OK. FYI it's a long drive to get to LA from there, doesn't look that bad on the map but it takes a while to get to the 405 & then you are on the road that claims the worst traffic in the US.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Thanks for you input everyone. In the end they decided to pony up the extra cash and stayed in Santa Monica.

They did visit Redondo Beach however and said it's really nice. Excellent sunsets apparently!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:24 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,172,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Thanks for you input everyone. In the end they decided to pony up the extra cash and stayed in Santa Monica.

They did visit Redondo Beach however and said it's really nice. Excellent sunsets apparently!
I wonder how much better the sunsets are in Redondo Beach than they are in Santa Monica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles