Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

I'll have to go to Westwood on Wed., Nov. 20th to do an observation on the UCLA Medical Campus. I've never really been to this part of L.A. After my observation at about 6pm, I'd like to do something fun. I love shopping malls, so I guess the Century City Mall is the closest to the area. I'm NOT a bar/lounge person at all, so no bars/clubs. Any other nice places in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:03 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,632 times
There are great movie theaters in Westwood. Go see a movie. You can also get cheap cookies at Diddy Reese and grab a bite to eat at Falafel
King or Umami or 800 degrees pizza.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'll have to go to Westwood on Wed., Nov. 20th to do an observation on the UCLA Medical Campus. I've never really been to this part of L.A. After my observation at about 6pm, I'd like to do something fun. I love shopping malls, so I guess the Century City Mall is the closest to the area. I'm NOT a bar/lounge person at all, so no bars/clubs. Any other nice places in the area?
Century City Mall is the closest, but stay in Westwood. It's like one big outdoor mall. Go to 800 Degrees Pizza right in the center of the Village, you won't regret it.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
There are great movie theaters in Westwood. Go see a movie. You can also get cheap cookies at Diddy Reese and grab a bite to eat at Falafel
King or Umami or 800 degrees pizza.
sorry but the theaters are old and dingy. Just compare them to the theaters at the Grove or the Landmark in the Westside Pavilion. I think i read on a post on chowhound that the neighborhood home associations have successfully lobbied the city planning agency to restrict the number of eateries to existing locations (similar to beer/alcohol licensing) and to prohibit live music/dance venues, so there can never be a club scene. Most of the Village is owned by Persian money that came after the Revolution, so you'll probably have to wait until these old timers pass on before the next generation makes the move to sell out & allow redevelopment on a multi-block scale. Given the strength of the homeowners groups in Bel Air/Westwood/Holmby Hills you're going to need a developer with the political savvy of Rick Caruso to pull it off. Even Charlie Munger of Berkshire Hathaway seems stymied by his attempt to redevelop a simple block along San Vicente in Brentwood and he's literally a multi-billionaire!

Old 11-02-2013, 11:44 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
sorry but the theaters are old and dingy. Just compare them to the theaters at the Grove or the Landmark in the Westside Pavilion. I think i read on a post on chowhound that the neighborhood home associations have successfully lobbied the city planning agency to restrict the number of eateries to existing locations (similar to beer/alcohol licensing) and to prohibit live music/dance venues, so there can never be a club scene. Most of the Village is owned by Persian money that came after the Revolution, so you'll probably have to wait until these old timers pass on before the next generation makes the move to sell out & allow redevelopment on a multi-block scale. Given the strength of the homeowners groups in Bel Air/Westwood/Holmby Hills you're going to need a developer with the political savvy of Rick Caruso to pull it off. Even Charlie Munger of Berkshire Hathaway seems stymied by his attempt to redevelop a simple block along San Vicente in Brentwood and he's literally a multi-billionaire!
I live in Westwood and have never even bothered to go to the movie theaters there. I always go to the Landmark at Westside Pavilion or the AMC in Century City.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post

I appreciate the old architecture of the movie theaters. They are fantastic looking and the sound is always good. We need to preserve these gems. Can't stand the multiplex's for the most part. The Landmark in Westside Pavilion at least shows indie films, but Meh. Don't even get me started on The Grove.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I live in Westwood and have never even bothered to go to the movie theaters there. I always go to the Landmark at Westside Pavilion or the AMC in Century City.
WHY?? Do yourself a favor and see at least one movie at the "Fox" Regency Village. Big screen, great sound and one of LA's landmark theaters.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:12 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
There are great movie theaters in Westwood.
Of what's left of them...they tore down the Mann...that's where I saw the original Superman movie and countless others...

Old 11-16-2013, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,065 times
Default westwood

Is anybody forgetting that behind most of the problems in Westwood there is also a hyper protective and powerful Westwood Homeowners Association that do not really want Westwood to go back to be a vital place, worried about their quite life behind the walls of their mansions?

Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,832 times
Quote:
THe HOA and the subsequent police crackdown of the area in the 90's are what killed Westwood. The parties in Westwood used to be EPIC.
Several things things in my view:

In the 1970s and 80s, also, the underage drinking laws were *far* less strictly enforced; if you looked at least eighteen or so you could usually buy beer or wine in a college town/neighborhood, both in onsale premises and in liquor stores. I can't help but think this probably was a major component in the revenue of places like The Bratskellar, Dillons, and Yesterdays. With things as they are today, however, a huge part of the local population isn't supposed to enter bars anyway and they get carded if they do. Worse for owners, they face stiff fines if they drop their vigilance and get caught.

So students don't head down to the Village for an evening's fun like they once did. Bars and restaurants can't make a go of it, and twenty-somethings tend to go elsewhere for entertainment.

Another thing is that the Westwood crowds were typically anyone from driving age up through the age of a typical recent college grad. Like someone said, it's not necessarily bad that it was all students, but I noticed myself, beginning at about age 27, that I felt much more comfortable on the Third Street Promenade, where the ages of people were a lot more varied.

Possibly, also, more students have to work more part-time hours than in the past, what with college having become so expensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles