Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,246 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am 32 years old professional female living in London, who is going to stay in LA for 3 months and I am trying to figure out what place near the beach would be ideal for me to stay. I am a journalist/photographer looking for an inspiration. I guess Venice is a great place, but a no foe me as I am not enough of a Bohemian, I am straight and I don't enjoy partying. But I've never been to Venice, this is the impression that I am getting and I am opened to learn more about interesting places. I love Santa Monica for a week trip, but it might be a bit too expensive for 3 months and a bit touristy. Is that so?

It probably sounds boring, but I don't like too much buzz; I love people though; interesting and intelligent and good laugh. I prefer jazz over house music. I love galleries and healthy lifestyle, yoga, tennis, beach volleyball. Bars Yes, clubs NO.
I want to learn how to surf- overcome my fear. I would love to live near the beach, it has always been my dream. Apart of the fact that I very much like chilled out, laid back and down to earth people, I also have a 1000-1200USD per month budget for renting a room in a nice and safe neighbourhood. Is that even possible and if yes so- would you know what would be the best part of LA for me? As for commuting, I will often go to West Hollywood and downtown, about three times a week.

Any opinion would be much appreciated... Thank you,

B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 11:41 AM

39 posts, read 53,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanka81 View Post
Apart of the fact that I very much like chilled out, laid back and down to earth people, I also have a 1000-1200USD per month budget for renting a room in a nice and safe neighbourhood. Is that even possible and if yes so- would you know what would be the best part of LA for me? As for commuting, I will often go to West Hollywood and downtown, about three times a week.

B.
You might be able to do that budget in Long Beach but nowhere close to being as nice or safe as Santa Monica. For that price range you have to go farther down the coast to Newport, Seal beach, etc.. but even then that's stretching the budget big time.

Even further inland you're looking at 1-1.2k minimum for your own studio apt in a decent neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:43 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
I would suggest Santa Monica, but that budget won't do it. Perhaps if you were willing to get a roommate.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:47 AM

39 posts, read 53,718 times
Santa Monica would be at least 1.5-2k a month min for a decent place by the beach even with a roommate.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:55 PM

103 posts, read 167,619 times
I've been looking for a (liveable) 1br in SM for under $1900 and not having any luck. You could do West LA/Mars Vista/Culver city for 13-1800/month and you are only 3-5 miles from the water & a lot closer to the highways and the rest of the city.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:10 PM

513 posts, read 913,164 times
Santa Monica is one of the most expensive cities to live in the L.A area. Rent for one bedrooms is about $2430+ per month.

Mapping Out the Rising One-Bedroom Rents Across Los Angeles - Cool Infographic Thing - Curbed LA

West L.A is more affordable, even Beverly Hills is cheaper. But Palms/Mar Vista or Playa del Rey might be good options.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,991 times
Long beach.. Gotta be near Ocean blvd or bellmontshore .stay away from PCH to 4 th street.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,294 times
For just three months, you are unlikely to be able to secure a conventional lease and it's not worth the expense of setting up a place anyway. Try AirBnB. There are private rooms available in houses and apartments for around the money you are looking to spend in Mar Vista, Palms, West LA, Brentwood, Santa Monica and Venice. The listings for studio and one-bedroom apartments are more expensive, but you might be able to negotiate a reasonable rate for a long-term rental.

Culver City is another option as you could catch the Metro to downtown or the bus to the beach. Cheaper too.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 AM

9 posts, read 18,513 times
Definitely Airbnb! I used it for six months when I moved out here. Absolutely the best way to do short-term if you're on a budget. There are many apartment complexes that will give you a three month lease, but you will pay through the nose. Not worth it. Plus, with Airbnb, if you hit it right, you'll end up meeting great people who can help you feel more at home while you're here.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanka81 View Post
Hi there,

I am 32 years old professional female living in London, who is going to stay in LA for 3 months and I am trying to figure out what place near the beach would be ideal for me to stay. I am a journalist/photographer looking for an inspiration. I guess Venice is a great place, but a no foe me as I am not enough of a Bohemian, I am straight and I don't enjoy partying. But I've never been to Venice, this is the impression that I am getting and I am opened to learn more about interesting places. I love Santa Monica for a week trip, but it might be a bit too expensive for 3 months and a bit touristy. Is that so?

It probably sounds boring, but I don't like too much buzz; I love people though; interesting and intelligent and good laugh. I prefer jazz over house music. I love galleries and healthy lifestyle, yoga, tennis, beach volleyball. Bars Yes, clubs NO.
I want to learn how to surf- overcome my fear. I would love to live near the beach, it has always been my dream. Apart of the fact that I very much like chilled out, laid back and down to earth people, I also have a 1000-1200USD per month budget for renting a room in a nice and safe neighbourhood. Is that even possible and if yes so- would you know what would be the best part of LA for me? As for commuting, I will often go to West Hollywood and downtown, about three times a week.

B.
South Redondo beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles