U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-12-2013, 11:50 AM

350 posts, read 183,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onething6 View Post
So my wife and I finally set a deadline to move after this school year for the kids, and we have narrowed it down to the Thousand Oaks area or Malibu. We have toured neighborhoods in both cities. My biggest concern with Malibu is that an offshore earhquake would wipe out everyone within a mile of the shoreline five minutes after a mini quake. Does anyone know more info or have links to more info?
Where will your job(s) be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-12-2013, 03:00 PM

Location: West Los Angeles (in the rocket...yeah...satellite of love)
3,205 posts, read 2,401,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Pack an inner tube
Or just swipe one from that snotty big-mouth David Geffen, who doesn't deserve one.

Unread 09-12-2013, 05:02 PM

30 posts, read 23,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed_in_church View Post
Where will your job(s) be?
Brainwashed in Church: I am in IT, and I feel pretty good about my odds of getting approved to work from home. If that doesn't work, we have an office in Calabassas that has IT staff that I could request a transfer to. Either way, I would have to keep my east coast time zone, but that is fine. If that doesn't work, Plan B, consulting.

Everyone keeps saying Malibu is the country, but the eastern side is only 20 minutes from shopping and dining in the heart of Santa Monica.

Unread 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM

7,606 posts, read 8,371,293 times
Quote:
So my wife and I finally set a deadline to move after this school year for the kids, and we have narrowed it down to the Thousand Oaks area or Malibu. We have toured neighborhoods in both cities. My biggest concern with Malibu is that an offshore earhquake would wipe out everyone within a mile of the shoreline five minutes after a mini quake. Does anyone know more info or have links to more info?
We don't have subduction earthquakes in most parts of CA, only the far north coast has an oceanic trench offshore. Tsunamis we experience are mostly ones from a distant origin. For example, when the Japan quake / tsunami happened, there was some damage here. The areas where this sort of thing can happen are very well known and there are well defined inundation maps. Generally speaking, you will find that places with a very gradual shoreline profile, with no bluffs at the coast and only a minimal elevation rise going inland, are the ones with any serious inundation potential anywhere besides the immediate beach areas.

In other words, yes there is a threat but it is not major. And for a south facing, moderately steep profile shoreline like Malibu, with the effect of the Channel Islands offshore, the threat is even less.

Unread 09-12-2013, 07:00 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,337,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
We don't have subduction earthquakes in most parts of CA, only the far north coast has an oceanic trench offshore. Tsunamis we experience are mostly ones from a distant origin. For example, when the Japan quake / tsunami happened, there was some damage here. The areas where this sort of thing can happen are very well known and there are well defined inundation maps. Generally speaking, you will find that places with a very gradual shoreline profile, with no bluffs at the coast and only a minimal elevation rise going inland, are the ones with any serious inundation potential anywhere besides the immediate beach areas.

In other words, yes there is a threat but it is not major. And for a south facing, moderately steep profile shoreline like Malibu, with the effect of the Channel Islands offshore, the threat is even less.
Beat me to it! Yes, from what I understand Northern CA up through Oregon and Washington and BC is the area most susceptible to tsunamis due to the location of the offshore fault lines. Not saying that SoCal is completely immune, but it isn't something that would factor heavily into my relocation decisions. I personally consider wildfires to be the biggest natural threat followed somewhat distantly by earthquakes.

Unread 09-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Here is a typical CA coast tsunami experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgt8qBSZEn0

In this case, actually NorCal - Santa Cruz.

As you can see, although plenty serious, it does not wipe out the land area.

Unread 09-12-2013, 07:28 PM

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ZwebitFHI

Crescent City (the place worst hit in 2011 and more severely hit in 1964 due to the Alaska Quake / tsunami). West facing, near the OR border and with a unique undersea topography resulting in a worst case scenario for tsunami run up.

Unread 09-12-2013, 08:05 PM

350 posts, read 183,239 times
Quote:
Brainwashed in Church: I am in IT, and I feel pretty good about my odds of getting approved to work from home. If that doesn't work, we have an office in Calabassas that has IT staff that I could request a transfer to. Either way, I would have to keep my east coast time zone, but that is fine. If that doesn't work, Plan B, consulting.

Everyone keeps saying Malibu is the country, but the eastern side is only 20 minutes from shopping and dining in the heart of Santa Monica.
If you have kids, I strongly recommend Thousand Oaks (or Oak Park or Agoura Hills or Westlake Village or Newbury Park or Calabasas). The schools are outstanding; the amenities are close by and abundant; the neighborhoods are conventional - meaning your kids will have other kids to play with. As opposed to hodge podge malibu where every activity requires a parent (or a nanny) driving the kid to a play date or some structured event.

Also, those 20 minutes are mythical and challenging. PCH is rarely a breeze. Compared to five minutes in a masterplanned community that much of Thousand Oaks is, the extra 30 minutes of commuting is a drain on what small amount of disposable time parents have.

Unread 09-12-2013, 11:08 PM

199 posts, read 48,284 times
TO is the way to go. Malibu isn't for you guys. I'm not saying that in a snobbish way. I would choose TO myself. Malibu is for rich folks who want to get away from it all. TO is for upper middle class folks who want to live normal lives in normal neighborhoods.

Unread 09-13-2013, 10:34 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,867,127 times
Quote:
20 minutes is on a good day, assuming that PCH is open and moving. PCH is well-known for having its problems in the Malibu area.

Since the heart of Santa Monica is where you plan to dine, etc., why not live there? Traffic can be horrible at times, but you can get around it once you learn the area. When you are stuck in Malibu, you are stuck.

There are also many people in your line of work in Santa Monica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles