U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM

5,559 posts, read 5,324,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
...getting rid of the plastic bags is a health hazard.
Here's your health hazard.
Drowning the oceans in plastic - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 PM

3,194 posts, read 1,847,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yep.

I wish I werenít so unsurprised Americans are so susceptible to special interest disinformation campaigns. Famously progressive countries like China, South Africa, Bangladesh and Uganda have implemented bans on plastic bags.
Plastic Bag Reduction Around The World - Plastic Bag Reduction Campaign

Our course, those nations donít harbor a lobbying group for bag manufacturers from the American South:

The widespread mobilization against plastic bags has sparked a counterattack by the plastics industry, which was slow to react to the rising tide of negative sentiment among consumers. Leading the charge to protect the plastic bag is the American Chemistry Council, an industry group whose members include petro-chemical giants like ExxonMobil and Dow Chemical. With 125 employees and more than $120 million in annual revenues, the ACC and its members are using their deep pockets and extensive political connections to overturn bans on plastic bags, cast doubt on legitimate scientific studies and even file lawsuits against anti-bag activists. The council, which spent $8 million on lobbying alone last year, has also put together a front group called the Progressive Bag Affiliates, made up of top bag manufacturers like Hilex Poly, Superbag and Unistar Plastics.
Ö
Last year, the ACC weighed in to defeat AB 1998, a California proposal to ban the use of plastic bags in supermarkets, liquor stores and convenience stores statewide.
Ö
The ACC and its member companies were determined not to let that happen. In the months before the vote, the industry spent $2 million on contributions to key legislators, extensive lobbying and media ads that portrayed the ban as a "hidden tax on grocery bills" that would "create a new state bureaucracy." Yielding to industry pressure, the state Senate rejected the ban by a vote of 21 to 14.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...#ixzz2jhjcJMO0

Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,312,833 times
Shopping bags become trash bin bags. If I don't get free bags like this but there is still commercial hefty trash bags available that people can use, what is the point of arguing against their usage?

Also, this is what annoyed me the most. Long Beach passed the ban on plastic shopping bags, yet food places can and still do use them? What is with the double standards? Also, Trader Joe's always offered paper bags which I collected and then re-used or returned to the store, now I gotta pay for their paper bag! The worst part, the city is MAKING them charge for it! If it was for the sake of environment, I would say sure but there are other reasons and agendas at play here so I don't buy the "save the planet" BS.

There are also bunch of other plastic/rubber products out there that get dumped. Another well known fact is the production of paper is a lot more hazardous to nature, beginning with the reduction of trees.

The whole thing is a joke.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM

5,107 posts, read 3,629,174 times
I wonder if people are now going to shop outside the city now since the ban on plastic bags? The ban is quite ridiculous. So much for big government in Los Angeles.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:09 PM

12,011 posts, read 13,524,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I wonder if people are now going to shop outside the city now since the ban on plastic bags? The ban is quite ridiculous. So much for big government in Los Angeles.
Many of the adjacent cities have already banned plastic bags, although some haven't.

Plastic Bags: Local Ordinances | Californians Against Waste

Not surprised Inglewood, Hawthorne, Gardena, Carson, and the San Gabriel Valley cities (other than Pasadena) have not banned plastic bags, but it's surprising Burbank, El Segundo, Torrance, and South Pas haven't banned plastic bags. It's extremely surprising Beverly Hills hasn't.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 AM

5,559 posts, read 5,324,787 times
Single use plastic water bottles may be next, since apparently only 30% of them make it to the recycling bin.
Bring your own (reusable) bag - latimes.com

Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 AM

375 posts, read 272,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Yep.

I wish I werenít so unsurprised Americans are so susceptible to special interest disinformation campaigns. Famously progressive countries like China, South Africa, Bangladesh and Uganda have implemented bans on plastic bags.
Plastic Bag Reduction Around The World - Plastic Bag Reduction Campaign

Our course, those nations donít harbor a lobbying group for bag manufacturers from the American South:

The widespread mobilization against plastic bags has sparked a counterattack by the plastics industry, which was slow to react to the rising tide of negative sentiment among consumers. Leading the charge to protect the plastic bag is the American Chemistry Council, an industry group whose members include petro-chemical giants like ExxonMobil and Dow Chemical. With 125 employees and more than $120 million in annual revenues, the ACC and its members are using their deep pockets and extensive political connections to overturn bans on plastic bags, cast doubt on legitimate scientific studies and even file lawsuits against anti-bag activists. The council, which spent $8 million on lobbying alone last year, has also put together a front group called the Progressive Bag Affiliates, made up of top bag manufacturers like Hilex Poly, Superbag and Unistar Plastics.
Ö
Last year, the ACC weighed in to defeat AB 1998, a California proposal to ban the use of plastic bags in supermarkets, liquor stores and convenience stores statewide.
Ö
The ACC and its member companies were determined not to let that happen. In the months before the vote, the industry spent $2 million on contributions to key legislators, extensive lobbying and media ads that portrayed the ban as a "hidden tax on grocery bills" that would "create a new state bureaucracy." Yielding to industry pressure, the state Senate rejected the ban by a vote of 21 to 14.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...#ixzz2jhjcJMO0
LOL thankfully china has banned plastic bags while they pump out coal factories left and right.

Placate the liberal hippies for a little while.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 AM

57 posts, read 30,615 times
to all of you that feel that you have a god-given right as an American to pollute and waste the earth's precious natural resources and kill and destroy anything that stands in your way: go buy a big gas guzzling super macho truck (before they are banned) & drive to Texas every week to do your shopping & get as many plastic bags as you can. That will show all those CA commies whats what. Of course you'll probably have to get another full time job (hopefully one of those fine high paying minimum wage jobs that Texas is so proud to offer to our modern civilization) to pay for all of the gas you'll use.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:03 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,062,447 times
I was in a Ralphs in Burbank over the weekend and they said the bag ban is hitting Burbank in March. I didn't ask what day or anything.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:44 AM

195 posts, read 121,945 times
the food4less I went to was charging for a bag that seems to be made out of plastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles