Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
My own bags... cost a dollar each. They are very sturdy with a flat bottom and they stand up straight. They hold more than the flimsy bags the stores "give" you. (No, they don't "give" them - the cost is factored into the price of the items you purchase.)
You're right, you need about one resusable bag for every 5 plastic bags; they're much sturdier. And in the long run, they'll cost all of us a lot LESS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
Do you wash your hands after handling raw meat or eggs? Do you wear single use rubber gloves? Or do you drive to another city where people will handle your meat for you?
I don't see how that is relevant but to answer your question. I wash/soap my hands before and after handling any kind of food. If I am making meatballs, especially Schweddy meatballs, I even put on rubber gloves! But sometimes, I feel like living dangerously and eat blueberries and blackberries without even rinsing them! Crazy, I know!

Quote:
Are you pretending or are you really that dense?
Dense? Really? Just because I have a different opinion than yours than makes me dense?
How very civilized of you!

Quote:
My own bags are roughly six years old. They cost a dollar each. They are very sturdy with a flat bottom and they stand up straight. They hold more than the flimsy bags the stores "give" you. (No, they don't "give" them - the cost is factored into the price of the items you purchase.) They fold nice and flat and I keep them in my car. In the trunk. Out of the way until I need them. Periodically, I stand them up in a sink full of hot sudsy water, swish and rinse, (sounds like a mouthwash commercial) and hang them outside on the clothesline to dry in the warm sun. If there is no warm sun, it being Winter, I can stand them in the utility room to dry. It's all pretty basic.
Basic? That sounds like a process, in some cases a time-consuming one. Don't forget them at home! but if you do, it is only a buck for each so who cares, right?

Price of the flimsy bags are factored into the price so if we all go recycled, the prices will drop, right?
Blah, kinda like how everyone jacked up their prices when the gas prices went up sky-high back in 2008 then dropped just as fast and remained that way for a while, do any one of you recall seeing any merchant drop their prices?

The bags I get are not that flimsy or small. I have seen the reusable ones, they are may be 25% larger and the ones I actually got (yes even dense people do try new stuff) were far from sturdy. Besides, again, I do use those flimsy ones as trash bags so that one purpose alone for me is enough and I know many others do as well. If not free from shopping, people will have to buy hefty trash bags so it is obvious plastic bags are not going anywhere fast, accept that fact.

Also consider that not every one of us may want to follow a routine like yours, understand and respect that. Not everything is a "one size fits all"!

Quote:
I hope you were paying attention this time. There's going to be a test.
Since I am so dense, why bother with a test, just fail me already!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:09 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
The bags I get are not that flimsy or small. I have seen the reusable ones, they are may be 25% larger
The plastic bags I've been given in the past are pretty flimsy, tear easily and seem like one-use bags. The reusable ones are very strong and last for years, especially those made out of cloth.

Quote:
That sounds like a process, in some cases a time-consuming one. Also consider that not every one of us may want to follow a routine like yours...
A routine? It's a simple process. For the greater good, you know? Kind of like seatbelts, bike helmets, smoking bans...

Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
I don't see how that is relevant but to answer your question. I wash/soap my hands before and after handling any kind of food. If I am making meatballs, especially Schweddy meatballs, I even put on rubber gloves! But sometimes, I feel like living dangerously and eat blueberries and blackberries without even rinsing them! Crazy, I know!

Dense? Really? Just because I have a different opinion than yours than makes me dense?
How very civilized of you!

Basic? That sounds like a process, in some cases a time-consuming one. Don't forget them at home! but if you do, it is only a buck for each so who cares, right?

Price of the flimsy bags are factored into the price so if we all go recycled, the prices will drop, right?
Blah, kinda like how everyone jacked up their prices when the gas prices went up sky-high back in 2008 then dropped just as fast and remained that way for a while, do any one of you recall seeing any merchant drop their prices?

The bags I get are not that flimsy or small. I have seen the reusable ones, they are may be 25% larger and the ones I actually got (yes even dense people do try new stuff) were far from sturdy. Besides, again, I do use those flimsy ones as trash bags so that one purpose alone for me is enough and I know many others do as well. If not free from shopping, people will have to buy hefty trash bags so it is obvious plastic bags are not going anywhere fast, accept that fact.

Also consider that not every one of us may want to follow a routine like yours, understand and respect that. Not everything is a "one size fits all"!

Since I am so dense, why bother with a test, just fail me already!
I didn't say you were dense. You need to brush up your reading/comprehension skills. I asked if you were pretending not to understand. I see now that it isn't pretense and it isn't dense. It's just a very close-minded person desperately attempting to maintain his POV against overwhelming counter-arguments. Good luck to you in your quest for justice.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:47 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
I don't want to adjust
...is pretty much the whole of the sentiment.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:59 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
I didn't say you were dense. You need to brush up your reading/comprehension skills. I asked if you were pretending not to understand. I see now that it isn't pretense and it isn't dense. It's just a very close-minded person desperately attempting to maintain his POV against overwhelming counter-arguments. Good luck to you in your quest for justice.
That was was a joke, I was being facetious but you had the nerve to ask "Are you pretending or are you really that dense?" as in "Are you pretending to not get it or are you really that stupid?" What am I not getting? Of course I got the reasons behind the law but I am not buying it. There is a difference between not getting and not agreeing with. So, because I don't agree or want to go along with a law and object to it, doesn't mean I don't get it nor I am stupid. So, for you to even ask a question like that proves not only you think too highly of yourself but also so very low of others who disagree with something that you are so passionately for. You further try to insult me with my lack of reading/comprehension skills yet yours obviously lacking much worse since you didn't even see the smiley face and give me the benefit of the doubt that it could have been a joke but instead rushed judge and to attack me with insults.

Btw, there is nothing that you or anyone else said on this topic that is pro plastic bag ban that has been overwhelming for me.

Perhaps, you are the one who is overwhelmed by all the negative reaction and resistance this law has gotten?

Let's discuss the topic like civilized people and not make comments about each other.
I don't enjoy verbally "tearing a new one" to anyone but if I am pushed, I will push back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The plastic bags I've been given in the past are pretty flimsy, tear easily and seem like one-use bags. The reusable ones are very strong and last for years, especially those made out of cloth.
A few stores use flimsy ones but most were decent and the size of the bags were just right for the trash bin.

Quote:
A routine? It's a simple process. For the greater good, you know? Kind of like seatbelts, bike helmets, smoking bans...
So, they claim. And of course it would be for the "greater good" otherwise who else would go along with it?
Again, all those who use a plastic trash bag will continue to use some sort of a plastic bag which I am thinking most so if I cannot get my bags via shopping. I will eventually have to buy them and use them as I always have. Those who dispose them incorrectly and illegally will continue to do so as well. I imagine nothing will change. Greater good in this case is nothing more than a pipe dream. I really do wish that an effective solution to this problem is found but I doubt this ban will help all that much. If I hear news on the contrary, believe me, I will admit being wrong and purchase a bunch more of them re-usable bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
...is pretty much the whole of the sentiment.
Well, everyone sees what they want to see and ignore the rest. Ultimately, we all do not want to go along with a change we are not too crazy about. I gave solid reasons but all you took from that was I didn't want to. Well, besides that being a given...

Old 01-13-2014, 12:27 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
Or do you drive to another city where people will handle your meat for you?
Hey! Let's not get personal here.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Banning those thin a$$ plastic bags isn't gonna do much for the environment and it's gonna **** a lot of people off because it's such an inconvenience.

Also, 10 cents for paper bags? Seriously? Give me a break.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 AM

422 posts, read 1,819,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Dumbest thing I've ever heard.
No offense, but you must not have heard many things if this is the dumbest.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_..._garbage_patch

Mostly small plastic particles

Plastic, golf ball found in dead whale - US news - Environment | NBC News

All that trash ends up somewhere, and along the coastline, it usually ends up in the water eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles