Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:26 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,988,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
I would not want to live there. I don't like being cramped in apartments and having to walk everywhere. I need space. I need green. I need a yard and a house. I've been there twice. Seems mob controlled and influenced. Lots of Italians. Subways seem dangerous.
Somebody's been watching too many Godfather and Deathwish movies.

NYC's subways haven't been dangerous in years. Scaredy cat.

Quote:
Too many ghetto people
Really? What part of NYC were you visiting? The South Bronx?

Quote:
I wouldn't feel comfortable without packing heat at all times.
This could be said of NO MAN'S LAND Los Angeles too.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:38 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I do agree that a lot of people from New York and New Jersey can be found in Florida. I have family that lives in South Florida and you see a lot of people from there.

But, I also don't think it's that rare to find former NYC people in L.A.

It seems more common for an NYC native to move to L.A versus the other way around.

I'm not sure what the billboards were that you saw or the radio ads "playing up the LA/NYC controversy"..

I've lived in L.A my whole life ,and I don't believe i've seen any such billboards or heard these radio ads..can you give a specific example or occurrence of it?

I also don't agree that it's just "actors and surfers" that would be interested in L.A

What exactly would you say would be the draw for an L.A person to move to NYC?..

I can't think of too many reasons someone would do that.
I agree, I don't think Los Angeles really sees itself as having a rivalry with NYC. I don't think NYC really sees itself as having a rivalry with LA either - though maybe in the middle of the last century NYC was threatened by LA's booming growth. LA's growth has slowed down significantly and I don't think there is any chance of it overtaking NYC any more.

I think Los Angeles is more concerned with rivalries with the Bay Area and perhaps sports-related rivalries with Boston. Other than that I think Los Angeles is a pretty inward-looking area, maybe even to the point of being self-obsessed.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:03 PM

27 posts, read 33,323 times
Quote:
What exactly would you say would be the draw for an L.A person to move to NYC?..

I can't think of too many reasons someone would do that.
Maybe they want to get out of the suburbs? No matter what anyone says, you can't really call LA an urban area, its very suburban. Urban vs suburban vs rural is a matter of personal preference.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:19 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,364,647 times
I like NYC, I think strangers are generally more friendly in L.A. when it comes to giving directions around town, but New Yorkers are fairly approachable and moderately grumpy if you have a question about the city. I think it's miserable in the city when it gets hot, I like the variety of restaurants and shopping there. The rent is way too high when comparing to Los Angeles. The boroughs have a more "neighborhood-like" feeling, more so than Los Angeles, without the beach, L.A. wouldn't be as attractive to live in. Our gridlock is miserable in L.A., at least the public transportation system is more efficient and useful than in L.A.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,186,378 times
My stereotypical opinion of many NYC'ers that move to LA is that they get horribly homesick and want LA to change into NYC.

There's the... OMG the pizza here sucks. Where can I find pizza like NYC?
I can't find a decent bagel. (ok, that's a legit gripe )
There's no good Chinese food. I need a place that serves egg rolls. Where's the duck sauce?
There's no seasons.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:29 PM

211 posts, read 527,800 times
I've never been to NYC, but some of my friends are from there. From what they tell me:

- I can never live there as it's the complete opposite of SoCal's laid back lifestyle.
- You have to constantly be moving, and don't really have time to lounge (which goes back to the lifestyle thing)
- All LA people dress alike and have no sense of fashion as they're just copying one another.
- NYC pedestrians don't care for signals. If they can, they'll go.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:25 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky1212 View Post
Maybe they want to get out of the suburbs? No matter what anyone says, you can't really call LA an urban area, its very suburban. Urban vs suburban vs rural is a matter of personal preference.
Sure there are parts of the city of L.A that can be viewed as suburban , but if you live in a part like Downtown L.A ,you can't tell me that feels suburban.

The 'urban' feel of downtown L.A is definitely a big appeal to it.

The nice part though is that you have the option of where to live , more options, more variety.

For someone looking for a NYC/Manhattan type feel I'd definitely recommend downtown L.A .

There are many other parts of L.A that are urban. Have you been to Koreatown? Hollywood? etc

When it comes to population density, Koreatown is king - latimes.com

It has one of the highest densities in the nation.

My point is it's not hard to find very urban parts of the city.

The idea that someone living in L.A would move to NYC to 'get out of the suburbs' I find a bit unusual.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:49 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,774,395 times
Quote:
Sure there are parts of the city of L.A that can be viewed as suburban , but if you live in a part like Downtown L.A ,you can't tell me that feels suburban.

The nice part though is that you have the option of where to live , more options, more variety.

For someone looking for a NYC/Manhattan type feel I'd definitely recommend downtown L.A .

There are many other parts of L.A that are urban. Have you been to Koreatown? Hollywood? etc

The idea that someone living in L.A would move to NYC to 'get out of the suburbs' I find a bit unusual.
Yeah that is ridiculous. Most people leave Los Angeles to find something more suburban. They are definitely very different and NYC is much more urban, but I don't think people leave Los Angeles to get out of the suburbs.

I would imagine the biggest thing drawing people out of Los Angeles and into New York has to do with employment situations.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,307,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah that is ridiculous. Most people leave Los Angeles to find something more suburban. They are definitely very different and NYC is much more urban, but I don't think people leave Los Angeles to get out of the suburbs.

I would imagine the biggest thing drawing people out of Los Angeles and into New York has to do with employment situations.
Yeah true. I'm sure it would be more

"we moved because we wanted a better (or more affordable place) to raise kids.

"moved because traffic was very bad"

I doubt you'd hear "I had to move out of L.A...place was way to suburban for me"

Old 10-07-2013, 05:06 PM

27 posts, read 33,323 times
Quote:

Downtown LA looks urban but doesn't feel urban. There weren't very many people walking around down there (granted I was there on a holiday). It felt very empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles