Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That's how people are on here about LA. That's it so superior to every other city. Kind of ridiculous.
Who says that?

LA is a great city, but also deeply flawed. It's a better city if you have disposable income. If you want to raise a family with a middle class salary, LA is not the place.

NYC is just awful. Probably only Detroit, Philadelphia and Baltimore are worse.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Funny that most of the shows and movies depicting New York are filmed in Los Angeles.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
That's how people are on here about LA. That's it so superior to every other city. Kind of ridiculous.
It's like a handful of people, and honestly it seems like a few of them are transplanted NY'ers.

I would imagine that in NYC you can find some decent Mexican food, as they have a growing Mexican population. Obviously it is not like in Los Angeles where the majority of Mexican joints are awesome, but Mexican food is one of LA's strengths (and one of my favorite types of food).

Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,149,996 times
I don't really have an opinion of NY other when our sports teams play eachother. It is what it is, our polar opposite on the other side of the country. I certainly wouldn't mind visiting there one day though, just to say that I went.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:55 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
From what I've noticed they don't think about it as much if at all, but when they do it tends to be almost as though it's seen as a more important, greater city. ...I always think to myself that LA is grand too, if not better in my opinion. ...NYC is overrated, too cold during the winter, too during the summer, noisy and over crowded. I also cannot stand that cartoonish accent of theirs, it drives me nuts. Absolutely the worst accent in the country. Sometimes I think they're over doing it in front of tourists, cus I always think they can't really talk like that, can they?
Lol... Well I agree with what you say, except for the accent remarks. I think that is unfair as a black person who defends ebonics, as if we should all do everything alike. I am amused and actually enjoy different accents, dialects and the vernaculars associated with their variety. I dont think N.Y. or that L.A. is for me any longer. But while I have great respect and admiration for them both, I think I have become more of a Portland, Or. kind of person lately.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:48 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
Quote:

Just stop it already. Certain people have found this place suits them best. Heaven forbid those people actually express that on a message board specified "Los Angeles". You have repeatedly gone beyond stating you do not share that opinion into arguing that merely holding that opinion by itself is illegitimate. Unhappy with the inevitable pushback, you punch at strawmen like the above.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Just stop it already. Certain people have found this place suits them best. Heaven forbid those people actually express that on a message board specified "Los Angeles". You have repeatedly gone beyond stating you do not share that opinion into arguing that merely holding that opinion by itself is illegitimate. Unhappy with the inevitable pushback, you punch at strawmen like the above.
No, it's completely fine to like LA. I was pointing out the fact that some posters on here are so ignorant toward any other place.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
No, it's completely fine to like LA. I was pointing out the fact that some posters on here are so ignorant toward any other place.
Who? You have been the king of vagueries since you set foot on this board.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:23 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,208 times
got
Quote:
Those are relatively few, if not mostly imaginary, and you've got to expect at least some of that. LA is stereotyped as lacking civic pride as it is. I'll leave it at this: I think there is a distinction between finding a city in which you can find happiness because it provides appealing features not traditionally associated with huge urban cities, yet still possessing sufficient qualities you want in a city, vs. finding a city with that all the city-specific qualities necessary for your happiness. I think both pursuits are legitimate.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM

27 posts, read 33,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
NYC is just awful. Probably only Detroit, Philadelphia and Baltimore are worse.
A good indication of how great a place to live is in the property value of the area. That being said, how do you reconcile NYC property values being 2x that of LA? Why are people paying millions to live in 1500sqf apartments if it is so terrible? You tell me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles