U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:00 AM

56 posts, read 123,153 times

Advertisements

So I'm moving to Los Angeles next year and I heard how bad the traffic is, so I wanna know more about the subway system. Does anyone have any experiences with it and can tell me whether or not I should take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 10:48 AM

1,398 posts, read 4,753,438 times
I think you're not drawing a lot of response here due to your term "subway." We have Metro-Link trains that go overground as much as underground. Here's a link
metro.net | Planning Your Trip Paying Your Fare - Rail Map (broken link)
to get you introduced to L.A. transportation options, and just navigate throughout the whole site to see what's where.

An intrinsic problem in our way spread out So Cal basin, virtually all of which is considered "Los Angeles" when you job hunt, is that efficient public transportation really serves so little of it. Imagine a wagon wheel extending out 100 miles, with only five spokes, and asymmetrically from the center at that. There'll be a lot of area not covered. Our public transportation officials consider riding the bus for 30 miles, taking 3 times as long as it would to drive it even given our famous congestion, to be their optimum solution. You'll note that the one area of agreement of all our diverse-opinioned posters here is that you really need a car to get around L.A. If finances or disability preclude your driving, know that this is a hard place to get around in if you don't live quite near to your place of work, or have the latter and your home right next to a rail stop. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 6,515 times
Default I love the subway - Metro in LA

I quit driving a few years back as traffic is inhumane here. If you live near a metro stop the entire city is available to you. Best is the red line from the SF Valley to downtown and gold line into Pasadena. The blue line to Long Beach gets stuck in traffic. The subway goes FAST you feel G-forces and smile knowing above you people are going 10 miles an hour.

Enjoy LA

Last edited by city of angels lady; 11-18-2007 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: clarify

Old 11-18-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I think you're not drawing a lot of response here due to your term "subway." We have Metro-Link trains that go overground as much as underground. Here's a link
metro.net | Planning Your Trip Paying Your Fare - Rail Map (broken link)
to get you introduced to L.A. transportation options, and just navigate throughout the whole site to see what's where.

An intrinsic problem in our way spread out So Cal basin, virtually all of which is considered "Los Angeles" when you job hunt, is that efficient public transportation really serves so little of it. Imagine a wagon wheel extending out 100 miles, with only five spokes, and asymmetrically from the center at that. There'll be a lot of area not covered. Our public transportation officials consider riding the bus for 30 miles, taking 3 times as long as it would to drive it even given our famous congestion, to be their optimum solution. You'll note that the one area of agreement of all our diverse-opinioned posters here is that you really need a car to get around L.A. If finances or disability preclude your driving, know that this is a hard place to get around in if you don't live quite near to your place of work, or have the latter and your home right next to a rail stop. Good luck.
I have a car, and I've heard that the traffic is horrible. Is it really as bad as people say?

Old 11-18-2007, 05:41 PM

26,362 posts, read 56,072,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Artist View Post
I have a car, and I've heard that the traffic is horrible. Is it really as bad as people say?
Actually it's about six percent worse.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:59 PM

386 posts, read 1,279,381 times
We might be able to answer better if you tell us more what your plan is. LA is huge and traffic goes from horrible to simply unspeakable depending on where you are going and what time of day it is.
The metro can be great depending on your lifestyle. It is hardly a one size fits all solution though...

Old 11-18-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
We might be able to answer better if you tell us more what your plan is. LA is huge and traffic goes from horrible to simply unspeakable depending on where you are going and what time of day it is.
The metro can be great depending on your lifestyle. It is hardly a one size fits all solution though...
I'm moving to LA for college and I'm going to go to LACC then transfer to a 4 year university. I just need to be able to get from my apartment to school and around the city for personal errands (shopping, eating, etc)

Old 11-18-2007, 06:57 PM

386 posts, read 1,279,381 times
So you are pretty close to the red line then. I live car "light" south of LA and it is pretty easy to do, lots of basics are walkable.
Be aware the metro doesn't run 24 hours a day, you will have to plan for that.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 PM

659 posts, read 2,654,267 times
Maybe you'll be fine using public transportation if you plan it out accordingly...just don't assume that it is anything similar to NYC or Chicago, I think you will be very disappointed when you have to go somewhere off your route.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 PM

635 posts, read 1,173,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Artist View Post
The traffic is miserable!

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/rail_map_future.pdf (broken link)

The dotted light rail lines are under construction.

I must add if your going opposite rush hour traffic, and it's a light reverse commute it will be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles