Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:52 PM

395 posts, read 488,378 times

Advertisements

Like if you're watching a game show and the contestant/s says they're from Los Angeles, where exactly in the L.A. area, are they most likely from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 09:24 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,582 times
There are too many answers to this question. They could be anywhere in LA county and even beyond and still probably get away with saying they are from LA.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:10 PM

320 posts, read 1,733,273 times
anywhere within 50 miles of downtown LA is considered LA some will even go 100 miles

Old 11-19-2007, 12:49 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
50 miles out of LA? thats not LA. but people like to think it is because otherwise people dont know where its at. i personally feel they should just say so cal. then say orange county or san diego, sna gabriel valley, etc etc if prodded any further. i love on the border of LA and make sure to say the na,e of the city i live in. when they ask i just say, south central adjacent...

Old 11-19-2007, 12:56 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
If you're watching a game show, they're probably saying what the producers told them to say. Since its geared toward a national audience, anybody from Ventura to San Clemente to Victorville and Banning will probably say they're from "Los Angeles". San Diego has its own identity separate from LA. Likewise, someone from Vista or El Cajon will most likely say San Diego on a game show.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:18 AM

56 posts, read 178,426 times
Yeah, I use to live 30 minutes from Detroit and said I was from Detroit because most people have never heard of the name of the city, and now I live in Vista and say I live in San Diego

Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 AM

830 posts, read 2,860,659 times
When you live in or near a large city I think it is very typical for people that live in the surrouding cities to say they are from the primary city. People know where Los Angeles is. They probably don't know anything about the smaller surrounding cities.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:37 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If you're watching a game show, they're probably saying what the producers told them to say. Since its geared toward a national audience, anybody from Ventura to San Clemente to Victorville and Banning will probably say they're from "Los Angeles". San Diego has its own identity separate from LA. Likewise, someone from Vista or El Cajon will most likely say San Diego on a game show.
I doubt anyone from OC would say they're from LA, there's too much animosity between OC and LA.

However someone from Ventura County would certainly claim they're from LA on national TV

Old 11-19-2007, 03:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I doubt anyone from OC would say they're from LA, there's too much animosity between OC and LA.

However someone from Ventura County would certainly claim they're from LA on national TV
Well I'd never say I was from LA voluntarily but I don't know if the contestants are allowed to choose what they say. I have a strong suspicion that the producers tell them where to say they're from so the national audience gets the general idea.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:26 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

I'm originally from Orange County, but always say I from LA. I hardly ever claim Orange County unless someone really drills down and asks me questions about where I was born, etc. However, I would agree that people who live in OC will mostly say they live in OC and not LA (depending on who they are talking to), but I don't think there is any real animosity between LA and OC.

LA really doesn't have animosity toward anybody. It's always the other way around. Other cities love to hate on LA. Folks in LA, on the other hand, generally can care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles