Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 01:11 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

What have you done in Kansas City and what experience to you have? Might you exploit connections of some sort?

Living in your car until you get on your feet isn't a real thing. Have a plan. commit or forget it. People have been living there for YEARS, doing other work of course, trying to land something or picking up little gigs here and there. You won't be a star, but you might find work in some line of the entertainment business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:28 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizz View Post
I a 23 year old blonde hair white female, and yes, I want to do the ever-popular and cliche move to l.a. to pursue acting/singing/dancing (I am a performer in all aspects). Roll your eyes if you want. It is my dream to aspire as a performance artist in movies/tv/stage/recording studio whatever I can get my hands on. By the time I save up enough to even get out there and get a job, I will probably be 24. By the time I'm ready to even start promoting myself and audition I will probably be 25. That's halfway to 30! Do you think I will be too old then? I really want to go for it but I feel the industry will think I'm too old with no experience.
If you think it is, then it must be. Start looking inside yourself for answers.

"“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
― Rumi"

About My Very Tortured Friend, Peter - Charles Bukowski

There are actors who became successful after they were 40. If this is your dream, you shouldn't need to ask anybody else. You'll do it until the end. At least you have something that you are willing to give up a lot to pursue.

I keep hearing, get the right agent, no matter what the % fee is.

Good luck to you, blonde.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:56 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Worst case scenario, you'll have someone who had an unrequited love for you:

An Almost Made Up Poem

I see you drinking at a fountain with tiny
blue hands, no, your hands are not tiny
they are small, and the fountain is in France
where you wrote me that last letter and
I answered and never heard from you again.
you used to write insane poems about
ANGELS AND GOD, all in upper case, and you
knew famous artists and most of them
were your lovers, and I wrote back, it’ all right,
go ahead, enter their lives, I’ not jealous
because we’ never met. we got close once in
New Orleans, one half block, but never met, never
touched. so you went with the famous and wrote
about the famous, and, of course, what you found out
is that the famous are worried about
their fame –– not the beautiful young girl in bed
with them, who gives them that, and then awakens
in the morning to write upper case poems about
ANGELS AND GOD. we know God is dead, they’ told
us, but listening to you I wasn’ sure. maybe
it was the upper case. you were one of the
best female poets and I told the publishers,
editors, “ her, print her, she’ mad but she’
magic. there’ no lie in her fire.” I loved you
like a man loves a woman he never touches, only
writes to, keeps little photographs of. I would have
loved you more if I had sat in a small room rolling a
cigarette and listened to you **** in the bathroom,
but that didn’ happen. your letters got sadder.
your lovers betrayed you. kid, I wrote back, all
lovers betray. it didn’ help. you said
you had a crying bench and it was by a bridge and
the bridge was over a river and you sat on the crying
bench every night and wept for the lovers who had
hurt and forgotten you. I wrote back but never
heard again. a friend wrote me of your suicide
3 or 4 months after it happened. if I had met you
I would probably have been unfair to you or you
to me. it was best like this.

Charles Bukowski

Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 PM

67 posts, read 95,954 times
Go for it. You are young and if you are talented you will be ok.

The real key is how you judge your success. Remember that for every one big time A list actress, musician, entertainer, there are 100 who fall short. That does not mean they have failed. Find happiness in being around the arts and discover there are so many options in the entertainment biz that you can still make a living doing sometime other than your avg 9-5 back home.

You can make a comfortable living being in the film and music industry working on sets, working on make up, giving lessons (voice,dance, acting) there are so many little niche areas where you can work around your passion if you are talented, that even if you don't make it "big" you will still be successful and doing something better than working at Starbucks in the middle of Kansas somewhere.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:56 PM

192 posts, read 326,383 times
never too old to do anything

Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
What work in theater or the arts have you done so far? What is the opinion of the instructors, directors, and those you work with?
And 23 is NOT too old to pursue a dream. I can't comment on the entertainment industry, but 23 sure isn't old, it just isn't.
Good luck to you, I hope you make your dreams come true.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:51 AM

341 posts, read 708,640 times
I once heard, "it's the things in life you DON'T do that you regret." Many a star in tinsel town started their trek from obscurity just like you.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:40 AM

67 posts, read 95,954 times
Exactly..so you don't become a huge star, but you end up aiding in choreography for a play, or movie or music video...or you work as a stage hand for some huge acts, you work in management of performing arts ...no matter what, you will be happier and more successful than doing something you absolutely hate.

It's like the boxer who knew he was never going to be a champion, but turns out to be an excellent trainer..makes good money , wakes up still being surrounded by the sport he loves on a daily basis. He wins. He gets it.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Good points , I do think there is opportunity somewhere in the entertainment business for someone with drive and at least some talent.

There are many that can make a living even if they aren't huge stars.

Once you get involved you might find another aspect of the business that you enjoy.

I also agree with Ceece, the living in the car thing isn't a great option and not even really legal so shouldn't even be thought of as an option.

I would also get some experience in Kansas City too .

Arts & Culture – Downtown Council of Kansas City
There is stuff going on there and I see 7 Performing Arts Venues on this list at the link above.

I see 11 theatrical venues on the list

Many concert venues as well.

Why not try to make it in Kansas City first before moving to L.A ?

Have you actually investigated all of these outlets?

If you can tell them what you did in Kansas City...that's a lot better than saying "I just got here ..I'm living in my car...hire me"

Oftentimes the opportunity is right in your backyard .

Nothing will change much being in L.A, just competition and cost of living will probably be higher.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:38 PM

83 posts, read 180,709 times
you're never too old to pursue your dreams!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles