Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:45 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,022,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwash92 View Post
Like it or not, we're not in a post-racial environment in the US. There are differences between people's cultures and in my opinion, those differences should be preserved. Different =/= better or worse.
I'm black and I don't want to live in a black neighborhood. Take this as you will, but it's what it is.

When I lived in LA, I didn't have to. I lived wherever I wanted just as long as I could afford to live there.

NYC is different. I currently live in a predominantly west indian, african, indian neighborhood with some other cultures sprinkled in. Many racially/culturally segregated neighborhoods are done like this ON PURPOSE here. The feds are always catching landlords and their representatives turning away blacks by telling them there are no rentals, but telling the whites that there are apartments available and even offering discounts for them.

What is it that you want to "preserve"?

I realize that there are many like you that feel uncomfortable living among whites and others, but then there are those like me that want to live in a MIXED neighborhood. I don't even want to live in an all white one either. It's boring when you don't see some sort of diversity in a country when thousands of different ethnicities living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 PM

17 posts, read 28,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm black and I don't want to live in a black neighborhood. Take this as you will, but it's what it is.

When I lived in LA, I didn't have to. I lived wherever I wanted just as long as I could afford to live there.

NYC is different. I currently live in a predominantly west indian, african, indian neighborhood with some other cultures sprinkled in. Many racially/culturally segregated neighborhoods are done like this ON PURPOSE here. The feds are always catching landlords and their representatives turning away blacks by telling them there are no rentals, but telling the whites that there are apartments available and even offering discounts for them.

What is it that you want to "preserve"?

I realize that there are many like you that feel uncomfortable living among whites and others, but then there are those like me that want to live in a MIXED neighborhood. I don't even want to live in an all white one either. It's boring when you don't see some sort of diversity in a country when thousands of different ethnicities living here.
I live in Mid-City. Black and hispanic almost evenly represented with a fair amount of whites and asians too. I like it here. I wouldn't want to live in a 95% black neighborhood, nor hispanic, nor white, etc. That doesn't mean I don't see the value in a place like Leimert Park. Or Boyle Heights. Or Chinatown.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I live in Mid-City. Black and hispanic almost evenly represented with a fair amount of whites and asians too. I like it here. I wouldn't want to live in a 95% black neighborhood, nor hispanic, nor white, etc. That doesn't mean I don't see the value in a place like Leimert Park. Or Boyle Heights. Or Chinatown.
What's "valuable" about them?

I'm not saying this to throw shade, but when is America FINALLY going to move forward into a true ASSIMILATED society??

It seems like outside of LA or California, nothing's really changed for the rest of the country.

I mean, it's 2013 and whites who can trace their ancestry back several generations going back to the civil war or before are asking me STUPID QUESTIONS that if they had black friends they would already know.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:36 PM

17 posts, read 28,352 times
Quote:

I'm not saying this to throw shade, but when is America FINALLY going to move forward into a true ASSIMILATED society??

It seems like outside of LA or California, nothing's really changed for the rest of the country.

I mean, it's 2013 and whites who can trace their ancestry back several generations going back to the civil war or before are asking me STUPID QUESTIONS that if they had black friends they would already know.
As long as there is immigration to the US there will be diversity. To me, a totally assimilated society seems at best uninteresting and at worst dystopian.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
As long as there is immigration to the US there will be diversity. To me, a totally assimilated society seems at best uninteresting and at worst dystopian.
I respect your stance on it, even if I disagree.

But in answer to your question, blacks in LA aren't large compared to other cities, especially on the east coast. I do believe many will still relocate there, but they won't be in traditional black neighborhoods, but do like I did and live in a mixed or diverse neighborhood.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The European Ethnics lost the cities and neighborhoods that were historically theirs through large-scale black migration to the north, the same way that people on here are now bemoaning blacks are losing historically-black neighborhoods in Los Angeles due to a Hispanic influx.

Again, if it is seen as "shameful" that blacks are losing historic neighborhoods in LA to Hispanics, why wasn't it also "shameful" when White Ethnics (Italians, Poles, Irish, Jews, Ukrainians) lost their historic neighborhoods to blacks in places like Philly, Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Buffalo, Cleveland and Cincinatti?

Or, can we just agree that populations change and people move on to places to suit their needs?

Heaven forbid we use logic rather than emotion, right?
Thanks for your response. I never said that it was a shame nor do I agree that it's the same as blacks migrating to norther cities. They usually moved to many of the "More Lived In" areas of a city along with whites who were in similar situations. Many of them relocated from southern states also. (Not as large in numbers as the black populations at the time but many along with puerto ricans relocated)

To many of us it was never really diverse among whites considering....They all were white.
Funny thing is growing up in Philly during the 70's & 80's there were a HUGE # of Archie Bunker types in many neighborhoods. Just because your family was white did not mean you were welcome on their block. While I was a kid working in little grocery stores in Sout West Philly or up on the Northside of West Philly working at a bakery or out in Kensington or Far North East Philly I've heard these jokers both male & female of all ages...But mainly the older ones spout things like "Those dumb Polocks are always F'n up" "Those Irish are nothing but drunking ***s, "Those Hebs think they're smarter than e'ry body" and from a jewish co-worker I dated in high school who lived in Lower Merion (Home of Little King Kobie) " I try to stay the hell out of UPPER MERION." Me: "Why what's the difference?" She: "The place is full of Guidos." Me: "You mean Italians?" She: " Yea, that's what's up there now a lot of the old money Jews have left and now all these new money dagos are up there flossing & thinking they're the S***!

Her brother chimed in "Oh yeah there was a fight up at the high school after the game and you know those friggin wops was behind it?!" This was a conversation amongst teenagers in 1984. lol But STILL I was numb and STILL learning some life lessons of that day. Because her parents were saying nothing just listening and nodding their heads talking about the good old days and soon Upper Merion would become suburban South Philly if they keep coming out that way. I just sat and listened bemused at the whole scene at this backyard barbaque they were having and heard how skankie and fast the Italian teen girls were and how brutish & dumb the boys were and of course all the parents were shady & into something illegal, cause how could they afford to own stores and restaurants in this area?

I just chalked it up to white people don't like each other across the board either.

I don't know what the areas are like now ethnic wise but I do agree with you that people move when it's convenient for them/us. Although it is rather strange that a city the size of LA with 4 million residents have only 400K blacks compared to 33 years ago when it had 600K and the city was only 3 Million?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Culture can define an area. Would SoCal be as interesting without Koreatown, Little Tokyo, Little Saigon, etc...?
THANK YOU! Does anyone in LA complain about areas NAMED and occupied by other groups? Like Little Armenia, Little Ethiopia,etc?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 PM

[quote=marilyn220;31836720]What's "valuable" about them?

REALLY??? How so?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Quote:

REALLY??? How so?
I'm coming from a NYC perspective. There are way more blacks from all over the world here than in LA. The entire east coast actually. There were days when I was living in LA that depending on where I was going the amount of blacks I saw weren't that much or not at all.

You can't do that in NYC, Jersey, DC or Phili. It's impossible.

All I'm saying in turns of living or find a place to live in LA, I wasn't given the "redline" or "steerage" thing as I probably would in NYC if I was looking for a place. Segregation here is done on purpose.

Segregation in LA is more "self-segregated" where folks CHOOSE to living among their own. They don't have to. They want to live that way.

I just don't understand why. It's boring. Diversity is a GOOD THING.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,313 times
Some of the blacks who live here including myself are getting by, some can afford to live here, and others cannot, which explains the exodus from LA over the past 20 years for thriving cities such as Nashville, Indianapolis, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham and most major cities in Texas, as well as Denver and other cities.

All most of us want is a chance to live a nice middle-class lifestyle, and states such as California no longer fill that need, and haven't since our public schools started going downhill in the seventies and eighties, and all with the blessing of the Democrats in Sacramento, who remain steadfastly opposed to improving our schools at the behest of their overlords, starting with the California Teachers Association, easily the most intransigent constituency in existence.

More money isn't the problem; revenues into Sacramento have soared for decades, but the pension situation, as well as the forthcoming shortage of children within 30 years which will demolish the state's finances, have resulted in blacks & everybody else heading for points east and places where deliberate destruction of the middle class (pick any ethnic group you like) isn't part of the picture.

Extreme leftists have ruled Sacramento for over thirty years, and won't improve with three ultra-liberal Democrats (Brown/Harris/Newsom) from Pelosiville running the state into the ground at the behest of their environmental overlords and the civil service unions who call the shots in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles