U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2007, 11:49 AM

12 posts, read 19,644 times
Default Relocating to LA in Fall '08

Hello, all! Just thought I would drop-in to see if any of you all could offer some advice since this forum seems to be pretty active. Long story short, I'll be graduating from Marshall University this Spring with a Business Mgmt. major and a Marketing minor. Music is a passion of mine and I want it to be involved in my career. Therefore, since I'm not THAT musically inclined as far as performing and since I do enjoy business, I've decided I'd really like to work for a record label and be on the business side of the music industry. I spent last Spring trying to land an internship with smaller labels in the LA area (specifically Suburban Noize) and talked positively with the labels, but no one seemed eager enough to fly someone out from West Virginia for a summer just for an internship. That is definitely understandable. So, I've decided in order to pursue my career that relocating to L.A. is imperative.

Most of the labels I have been interested in are located in or around Burbank. Is this a decent place to live AND would it be affordable for someone who is single to get by until they've got their career started? And I know this sounds crazy and the perception of L.A. has really been blurred by movies and all that, but I noticed that one of my favorite films "The Fast and the Furious" had a portion filmed in Echo Park. I REALLY enjoyed the layout of the neighborhoods there both in the film and from the pictures I've seen. Any thoughts on this area and would it be an acceptable drive to and from work (as I'm assuming there is not as much opportunity there as in Burbank and other places)?

Basically, I'm looking for any type of advice I can get. I've never been to California or the West Coast. I actually come from a small town in Kentucky with about 5,500 people. I moved away from family and friends to go to Marshall University (which was also a dream of mine) in which the city has about 50,000. Still not comparable to L.A., but the point I'm trying to make is I'm not scared of change and I'm pretty independent. L.A. is not a scary thought for me and I'd love to give it a shot, but I'm also not stupid enough to go in blindly without a gameplan. I'm hoping some of you all can give me some good ideas/alternatives. Thanks so much!

By the way, if the record label thing does not work out, what kind of opportunity is there for a Biz Mgmt major? Is it relatively hard to get your foot in the door with a lot of these big name companies that are in and around L.A.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 12:06 PM

635 posts, read 1,109,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWA13 View Post

1. Therefore, since I'm not THAT musically inclined as far as performing and since I do enjoy business. So, I've decided in order to pursue my career that relocating to L.A. is imperative.

2. Most of the labels I have been interested in are located in or around Burbank. Is this a decent place to live AND would it be affordable for someone who is single to get by until they've got their career started?

3. I've never been to California or the West Coast. I actually come from a small town in Kentucky with about 5,500 people. I moved away from family and friends to go to Marshall University (which was also a dream of mine) in which the city has about 50,000.

4. By the way, if the record label thing does not work out, what kind of opportunity is there for a Biz Mgmt major? Is it relatively hard to get your foot in the door with a lot of these big name companies that are in and around L.A.?
1. I agree with you, this is a great place for commercial music or a leisure good time. Don't expect bluegrass to be real popular.

2. You won't be able to afford Burbank by yourself in the beginning, it's way to expensive. I'd say get a roommate and find a studio, and if you find enough money in Biz Mgmt once you start your career, you can move out and find another place in Burbank. Unfortunately, there's hardly any places in L.A. where you can half hang and half blue collar work and survive.

3. This will be your face on your first day in Los Angeles. You have never seen so many people in your life. The County has 10.3 million people, but hey I would love it being from small populations centers as yourself. I've lived here for a long time, and when I travel to a small city, I feel very strange. But, you can easily get used to it. I think you will find Los Angeles very exciting for a young, single guy as yourself. I think the diversity will be a big shock to you, yes white people are the minority, I don't mind one bit. It's L.A.

4. You can easily get a business management job in Los Angeles, definently for marketing, check out careerbuilder, it will definently help you. This is the job capital of the world, the only problem is finding a job near where you live. The traffic is horrendous everywhere in Los Angeles. You don't need to get your foot in the door, you'll be hired.

Hope that Helps Buddy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles