Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM

391 posts, read 748,737 times

Advertisements

I'm planning my relocation to LA. Before I've lived in Santa Monica but my budget is pretty limited ($1200 for a 1br).

Which area would you recommend?
Which place is nicer?

I'm guessing South Bay is a bit cheaper (and by the way, when I say south bay I mean Hermosa, Manhattan, Redondo etc)?

I want to get as much bang for my buck as possible, but I still want the area to be good. And good to me means lots of stuff nearby like restaurants, bars etc. Would also like to live close to the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,994,988 times
1BR is not happening for $1200 in those areas. You might be able to find a studio for $1200-1300. There's a neighborhood next to Culver City called Palms where might find a 1BR for $1200-1300. In the south bay Redondo Beach and Torrance are more affordable but probably still not in your budget.

Santa Monica does have what they call "income restricted" housing. I won't ask you how much you'll be making but here are a couple of examples at <$1500/mo.

Undeniably Unique Low income Studio! ($1200; max income $36k/yr.)

Santa Monica Studio Loft Apartments Near Santa Monica College and Los Angeles | Loft, Studio, 1 Bedroom at Olympic Studio Lofts ($1500; max income $60k/yr.)

Old 10-22-2013, 09:01 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,764,526 times
Do you care about commute times? Have you considered Long Beach? Where will you be working , do you care about commute driving time? How far is close to the beach time wise? I've seen apartments across the street from the sand in Redondo Beach for $1800, so further inland should be cheaper.

Every place has its pros and cons, typically the further you get from the places where people work, the cost goes down. The South bay is cheaper , except for Manhattan Beach.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,538,934 times
Use hot pads dot com. It has a map of the area with all kinds of private and realtor listings for rentals. I wouldn't recommend using a pay site if you have time and can look around. Also drive around the south bay beach cities. You'll see for rent signs in windows that won't be anywhere online. Your rental price would get you a small 1 bedroom in Mar Vista or Palms, but likely not much in Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey/Venice. I'd look in Redondo and Manhattan and even Torrance west of Hawthorne. It's doable! Just need to look and look!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:55 AM

391 posts, read 748,737 times
Thanks for the replies.

I work from home so I don't really need to commute anywhere. I know a lot of people in the Santa Monica area though so if I were to go out to a bar or something I'd probably go out in Santa Monica/Venice, and possibly Hollywood.

Therefore Long Beach is way too far away.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM

192 posts, read 324,447 times
Try and find studios or smaller/older 1B apartments in west LA (adjacent to Santa Monica and south of Brentwood) - $1200-$1300 is possible but rare - I can refer you to a property management company who often offers 1 month free rent. Or better yet, reach out yourself - www.rstrents.com - gluck!

Last edited by GoBears98; 10-24-2013 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-24-2013, 12:02 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,764,526 times
Then the southbay would seem too far to hangout with your friend in Santa Monica. South east mar vista area. When you cross in to culver city priced go up due to schools

Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,678,976 times
Highest odds you won't find anything in Hermosa or Manhattan...Keep in mind there's a South Redondo which is ocean front and a North Redondo which many consider the ghetto (it's not that bad but definitely not as nice as the beach front). The problems with the beach front places like either the south bay or SM/MDR/VB is unless you're a beach bum, the only other thing to do is the bars, and that lifestyle gets old really quick. Everyone you'll meet will want to hang out at the bars...If you live in Manhattan, you'd most likely be at it's pier bars 95% of the time. I suggest Hollywood. You're not that far from SM/MDR/VB and there's so much to do that doesn't require alcohol/bars. However, if you do want the bars, you have the best options available.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 AM

513 posts, read 906,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Highest odds you won't find anything in Hermosa or Manhattan...Keep in mind there's a South Redondo which is ocean front and a North Redondo which many consider the ghetto (it's not that bad but definitely not as nice as the beach front). The problems with the beach front places like either the south bay or SM/MDR/VB is unless you're a beach bum, the only other thing to do is the bars, and that lifestyle gets old really quick. Everyone you'll meet will want to hang out at the bars...If you live in Manhattan, you'd most likely be at it's pier bars 95% of the time. I suggest Hollywood. You're not that far from SM/MDR/VB and there's so much to do that doesn't require alcohol/bars. However, if you do want the bars, you have the best options available.
Um, I'm not a beach bum and I live in Pacific Palisades and lived (and partially raised) for many years in Santa Monica. My friends and family aren't beach bums either. We love the beach but we don't "just hang out at bars" like you said. I really don't know what you're talking about, but I've been living in SM/PP for years and I've never had this problem you're describing. Maybe in the South Bay where the vibe is more beachy, more small town, but in Santa Monica you'll never get the "beach bum" vibe with the "let's only hang out at bars".

The same things one can find to do in Hollywood can be found in Santa Monica or Beverly Hills or WeHo or whatever.

I don't suggest Hollywood. It's gritty and dirty. Santa Monica, has way more to do, both indoor and outdoor, plus it's a lot, a lot nicer.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,185,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
The only thing that the South Bay lacks over the Hollywood area is performance arts, but even that is picking up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles