Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
But walkable neighborhoods are so "desirable"!!!!!
Especially since there are no big box stores and everything is mom and pop and costs 30% more for that extra "personal service" even though they'll argue with you if you return something unlike Home Depot or Walmart.

I once returned a used bathtub to Lowes. No questions asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Having walkable neighborhoods and such is a good, but how many of these people trash the automobile is nuts. For instance, I moved several large items from my old apartment to my new apartment. I'm suppose to drag those through public transportation and by walking?

Also, with kids, having a car is easier. It's a pain walking with with children at times. I couldn't imagine have to go to the store and then go home either walking or via public transit with a child and a bunch of groceries. Face it, as much as I love walking and public transit, cars will never go anywhere, and they shouldn't.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
the irony about the whole conversation of "walkability" is that it only affects those with enough leisure time to idly stroll through neighborhoods, i.e, those 20-somethings with part-time jobs, stay-at-home yoga moms, or aging actors/screenwriters who don't have 9 to 5 jobs. The rest of us with office cubicle jobs working overtime don't really have the spare hours to engage in this hobby. And let's face it that the vast majority of ppl in LA who do take public transit and really do walk to their jobs are working-class Latinos who don't have a choice. Whether a neighborhood is "walkable" or not is irrelevant when they're trying to put food on their tables.
I prefer to live in a walkable environment, and I am none of the things you describe above. You clearly are very out of touch, as demonstrated by this rambling, meaningless post. The entire point of a walkable neighborhoods is that you don't spend a ton of time walking from Point A to Point B, as you would if you lived in West Hills or Porter Ranch. I'm sure you are someone who cannot fathom the idea of cutting down on your car use, but believe it or not, sometimes it is faster or more convenient to walk to a location in a walkable neighborhood than drive.

My wife and I are both employed full time (she works 60+ hours a week, I work 40). We can only afford one car, and I work from home (hence having very little need for one since I have no commute). I would much rather live in a neighborhood that I can walk a few blocks to pick up groceries or get some errands done, vs. one where I am basically stranded at our apartment or home. Why would I waste money owning a second car when all we had to do is select a neighborhood that is adjacent to nearby amenities? - Note that the neighborhood we live in is both walkable, transit friendly and pretty quiet.

As far as working class Latinos, surely they would prefer to live in a neighborhood that is relatively walkable and has decent transit access. Notice that they basically do so, what are the demographics of Westlake, Boyle Heights, East Hollywood? All quite walkable and transit-friendly neighborhoods.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:56 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Having walkable neighborhoods and such is a good, but how many of these people trash the automobile is nuts. For instance, I moved several large items from my old apartment to my new apartment. I'm suppose to drag those through public transportation and by walking?

Also, with kids, having a car is easier. It's a pain walking with with children at times. I couldn't imagine have to go to the store and then go home either walking or via public transit with a child and a bunch of groceries. Face it, as much as I love walking and public transit, cars will never go anywhere, and they shouldn't.
Yeah I have nothing against driving. We use our one car all of the time. But we also walk about half of the time.

One thing I don't get about these people complaining about walkable neighborhoods is how they act like you can't use a car if you live somewhere like Downtown LA or Santa Monica. Believe it or not, they don't revoke your car rights just because you live in a walkable neighborhood.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I prefer to live in a walkable environment, and I am none of the things you describe above. You clearly are very out of touch, as demonstrated by this rambling, meaningless post. The entire point of a walkable neighborhoods is that you don't spend a ton of time walking from Point A to Point B, as you would if you lived in West Hills or Porter Ranch. I'm sure you are someone who cannot fathom the idea of cutting down on your car use, but believe it or not, sometimes it is faster or more convenient to walk to a location in a walkable neighborhood than drive.

My wife and I are both employed full time (she works 60+ hours a week, I work 40). We can only afford one car, and I work from home (hence having very little need for one since I have no commute). I would much rather live in a neighborhood that I can walk a few blocks to pick up groceries or get some errands done, vs. one where I am basically stranded at our apartment or home. Why would I waste money owning a second car when all we had to do is select a neighborhood that is adjacent to nearby amenities? - Note that the neighborhood we live in is both walkable, transit friendly and pretty quiet.

As far as working class Latinos, surely they would prefer to live in a neighborhood that is relatively walkable and has decent transit access. Notice that they basically do so, what are the demographics of Westlake, Boyle Heights, East Hollywood? All quite walkable and transit-friendly neighborhoods.
Agreed. Living in a walkable neighborhood with amenities close by should always be ideal. We certainly should use the car as little as possible and it looks like LA is slowly going in the direction of the pedestrian which is good, but even if we had Tokyo level of walkability and transit, I don't think I'd ever give up my car. It certainly has a place.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:57 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Here on C-D people are always asking about "walkability," but the whole concept is confusing to me. How many people could actually walk to work AND walk to shopping AND walk to schools---anywhere in the US? Very few, I think; most are either driving or taking public transportation.

Transporting via car or bus or train to a walkable area, as counterintuitive as it sounds, is really what happens most places.
They go hand-in-hand, though. Can't have walkability without good transit, unless you're talking about a small area.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
the irony about the whole conversation of "walkability" is that it only affects those with enough leisure time to idly stroll through neighborhoods, i.e, those 20-somethings with part-time jobs, stay-at-home yoga moms, or aging actors/screenwriters who don't have 9 to 5 jobs. The rest of us with office cubicle jobs working overtime don't really have the spare hours to engage in this hobby. And let's face it that the vast majority of ppl in LA who do take public transit and really do walk to their jobs are working-class Latinos who don't have a choice. Whether a neighborhood is "walkable" or not is irrelevant when they're trying to put food on their tables.
Not sure if you intended it this way, but this post comes across as devaluing how other people use their time. (e.g. 'I'm so busy that I don't have time to do silly things like walk!')

EVERYONE has the same 24 hours in a day, nobody doesn't have time for that.

I also agree with the poster who said walking and public transit go hand in hand.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Where do you live?
South Bay. We actually really love where we live, the comment on the narrow or missing sidewalks is just a minor quibble, and I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if we didn't start pushing a stroller around.

Growing up in a more urban environment, my mentality used to be "if it's within a mile, that's an easy walk." Now, even though we have relatives that are less than a quarter mile away, the thinking has changed to: "hmm, there's no sidewalk for a few blocks, and that's right where the top of the hill is, so traffic won't have great visibility... let's be safe and drive."

Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Prior to where I am living now (north hollywood..but pretty far north of the arts district) , I lived in two pretty walkable neighborhoods. Rancho Park area of West L.A and then Hollywood. I have to say I do miss being able to walk to stuff.
I would often walk to destress and remember talking a long walk all the way to the SM Pier one time and back when I was upset. Sometimes I would walk with a purpose...to buy something or get something to eat. Othertimes I'd walk just to walk.

Right now I try walking around at work as much as possible.

I think the argument that walkable areas are only for part time workers or stay at home people is a little crazy.

What about walking to dinner after work or anywhere after work?

What about weekends?

Not many people work 7 days a week or even 6 days a week.

I also find walking to be relaxing and it is nice not stressing about where to park or dealing with traffic.

I work in Brentwood and i think it's sad that there are big stretches of Sunset without sidewalks....yet the people walking on these roads are generally people that are taking public transit and providing services to the wealthy homeowners in the area. You get the feeling these neighborhoods were established with the purpose of dissuading "riff raff from walking into their neighborhood" , yet they want the cheap labor of the lower classes.

I see these people walking in the MIDDLE OF THE STREET so they can get to the bus.

One should not have to risk their lives in that manner just to get from/to work.

I don't really know how the city can get away with it...I guess the ADA rules don't apply in this situation?

How can we have big stretches of Sunset (a major blvd) without sidewalks ?

the article that the OP posted is really interesting..I also like the blog of the author
A Walker in LA that Munchitup mentioned.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:48 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I don't want to live too close (within walking distance) of places that I can walk to. I don't want to live too close to stores with noisy vehicles, parking lot lights, advertisements, bill boards, neon signs, and the general public making noise. I like driving to stores, having a vehicle to haul the stuff back to my house. I rarely buy such a small amount of groceries that I can carry them back to my home. Or from Home Depot. I like living away from all that noise and congestion and light pollution.
This is pretty much how I feel as well. I live in suburban Burbank/Glendale on a nice, tree lined street near parks. And I walk. It's a pleasant way to exercise and relax. But I'm not interested in walking to the grocery or that sort of thing. And I'm not into dense/urban living. I'm originally from Tennessee where the idea of walking to the grocery, etc, was pretty foreign (things are very spread out). I also have rheumatoid arthritis so there is literally no way I could carry heavy packages much distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles