Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:11 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times

Advertisements

Why don't I see people posting , live in Hollywood ? Many post are live on the Westside for the commute, live in the valley or pasadena for the schools. The apartments around Paramount studios seem really cheap for not having to deal with a commute. I just see very few vacancies, on craigslist , there are a lot of North Hollywood places available , but not Hollywood, whats the story, centrally located, west of the Downtown traffic, lots of jobs, and nightlife, I just don't get it. Do many people consider it too expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 04:05 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Its not that expensive at all. But it has a reputation for gangs, lack of parking, the apartments tend to be small, there's often congestion, and its quite dense, and you're still not exactly next door to the beach. All of those things all balled into one does not make the area that appealing.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Why don't I see people posting , live in Hollywood ? Many post are live on the Westside for the commute, live in the valley or pasadena for the schools. The apartments around Paramount studios seem really cheap for not having to deal with a commute. I just see very few vacancies, on craigslist , there are a lot of North Hollywood places available , but not Hollywood, whats the story, centrally located, west of the Downtown traffic, lots of jobs, and nightlife, I just don't get it. Do many people consider it too expensive?
There are lots of posters on this site that live in Hollywood (for a few years, myself included). Not sure what you are talking about.

But yes there are few vacancies in the area, a huge reason we ended up in Pasadena (btw the schools aren't good here or in most of the Valley).

Old 10-27-2013, 11:03 PM

217 posts, read 313,125 times
I live in Hollywood, i just happen to live in a house in the hills, not in an aparment. The apartment buildings in Hollywood arent nice tho (too small) and theres always fight, specially during the weekend.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I think that Hollywood is a cool area to live in if you don't have kids (I don't ) .

I lived there for a year from 2009-2010. This was off Fuller near Sunset Blvd.

Walking to Hollywood/Highland area was pretty easy as was walking to Melrose and lot's of other places.

Most of the people in my building and in that area were mostly older Eastern European retirees.

Another nice thing about that area was being able to walk to Runyon Canyon...although I didn't do that nearly enough.

I could see the Paramount studios area being a bit more sketchy and it's further away from the westside depending on where you are working could make a difference.

It really just depends what you are looking for. Hollywood could either be a great area or a terrible place to live.

I'm actually in North Hollywood now and overall I prefer Hollywood as I had a lot more to walk to and was closer to work.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
i've heard that the Hollywood area is being overrun by thuggish Armenian "bro" crews that like to party hard and brawl. My friend got into a fight a few months ago with a couple drunken kids who were shouting cat calls & lewd comments to his gf walking home on a Saturday night. And another time some kid keyed his car because he refused to pull up and give the guy behind more space to squeeze in back with his blinged out Mercedes suv (He didn't want to box the car in front in). I'm sure every up & coming neighborhood has its disreputable elements but Hollywood seems to attract them by the droves because of the nightlife.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:37 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
i've heard that the Hollywood area is being overrun by thuggish Armenian "bro" crews that like to party hard and brawl. My friend got into a fight a few months ago with a couple drunken kids who were shouting cat calls & lewd comments to his gf walking home on a Saturday night. And another time some kid keyed his car because he refused to pull up and give the guy behind more space to squeeze in back with his blinged out Mercedes suv (He didn't want to box the car in front in). I'm sure every up & coming neighborhood has its disreputable elements but Hollywood seems to attract them by the droves because of the nightlife.
Hmmm, not really sure if this is anything new. Unfortunately some people just don't know how to act ,especially with alcohol.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
Wouldn't say I ever noticed it being mostly Armenians. Kinda weird. I've seen every race act a fool on Hollywood Blvd, on multiple occasions.

One thing I would also note about what insane4madonna said about Hollywood Apartments. While the older housing stock is pretty small and not well-maintained, there are dozens or even hundreds of high-end apartments throughout Hollywood, even in East Hollywood and the southern reaches of the neighborhood. I'm talking 2BRs for 2500+, which is pretty much what rents are in the Hills as far as I can tell.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Wouldn't say I ever noticed it being mostly Armenians. Kinda weird. I've seen every race act a fool on Hollywood Blvd, on multiple occasions.

One thing I would also note about what insane4madonna said about Hollywood Apartments. While the older housing stock is pretty small and not well-maintained, there are dozens or even hundreds of high-end apartments throughout Hollywood, even in East Hollywood and the southern reaches of the neighborhood. I'm talking 2BRs for 2500+, which is pretty much what rents are in the Hills as far as I can tell.
Yes I saw a wide range of apartments. There is apparently a demand for high end apartments even though they are right next to an older 70s building where the rent is $1000 less a month. There are also newer 2 Bedroom condos selling for $530,000.

Apparently that older stock apartments for $1400 for a 2+2 is still in high demand, it seem like the get rented in less than a week.

I saw a 2+2 condo this weekend for $530k, down the street from an 8 unit apartment that sold for 1.2 Mil, I don't see why these old apartments aren't torn down to meet the demand for higher end apartments or condos, any idea why?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Yes I saw a wide range of apartments. There is apparently a demand for high end apartments even though they are right next to an older 70s building where the rent is $1000 less a month. There are also newer 2 Bedroom condos selling for $530,000.

Apparently that older stock apartments for $1400 for a 2+2 is still in high demand, it seem like the get rented in less than a week.

I saw a 2+2 condo this weekend for $530k, down the street from an 8 unit apartment that sold for 1.2 Mil, I don't see why these old apartments aren't torn down to meet the demand for higher end apartments or condos, any idea why?
I was in the market for a 2+1 or 2+2 for 1400-1500 - the supply is very limited. Big reason why I ended up in Pasadena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles