U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:29 AM

156 posts, read 253,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I took a drive through Van Nuys last week while visiting LA. Driving down Van Nuys Blvd, it felt pure LA. The boulevard is wide, it's lined with palm trees, it's full of activity, it has ton of character with it's old stripmalls. It's bordered by the beautiful Santa Monica Mountains. This is post WWII suburbia that represents LA's boom years. I sure wouldn't mind owning a 3 bedroom ranch home in Van Nuys.
The way you describe it, it sounds kind of awesome. The way others describe, not so much...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 11:55 AM

6,040 posts, read 5,603,582 times
Quote:
I took a drive through Van Nuys last week while visiting LA. Driving down Van Nuys Blvd, it felt pure LA. The boulevard is wide, it's lined with palm trees, it's full of activity, it has ton of character with it's old stripmalls. It's bordered by the beautiful Santa Monica Mountains. This is post WWII suburbia that represents LA's boom years. I sure wouldn't mind owning a 3 bedroom ranch home in Van Nuys.
All due respect...OK got that out of the way.

I too like Van Nuys Blvd., it is evocative of another time, just updated to reflect the current demographic. To me (I use the Blvd. daily, if only for short stretches), that's not a bad thing.

It's not really accurate to say it borders the SM Mountains. Much of the west Valley enjoys views of the Sm mountains but I'd limit the term "borders" to Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills, etc.

Other than Lake Balboa and some pockets south of Burbank Blvd, I'd look elsewhere for a ranch that's evocative of the post WWII expansion. There are some better examples out there.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:45 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,029,482 times
Quote:

Van Nuys might not be the best place in LA (anymore - it used to be pretty nice before the 1970s), but I rather live in Van Nuys than anywhere outside California.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,818 times
Hi all,

I'm looking at low priced 1bdrm to studio condos for my elderly dad and came across one in Van Nuys, but this thread has me worried. The one I found was near corner of Sherman Way and Sepulveda Bld. Looking at the crime map someone posted, it seems like most of the crime is theft. We're asian and I'm just trying to find him an affordable place in LA with asian shopping centers near by so he can buy food and such. I found there's a Ranch 99 in the area and that got me interested.

Should I pass on this location? It's hard finding anything in the $150k-ish range for condos in LA that's not part of the hood.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:18 PM

14,545 posts, read 20,298,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Recently travelled all over the area. I generally had a really good positive impression of Santa Monica, Burbank, and other places mentioned in this thread by other other posters. But the one area I can say something bad DID happen in was Van Nuys. I'm going to make a long story short here, and I won't elaborate, but suffice it to say my naitivity allowed me to have 120.00 bucks stolent right out from under my nose. I take the blame for being so gullible.

Hint: don't buy Disney passes from a stranger.
My aunt and uncle lived there in the fifties/sixties plus. They were right off supveda and near the dam. When it split during the earthquake, they would have been flooded away.

I remember the area fondly, (I grew up in Canoga Park, right off Winnetka.) I spend a lot of nights with my cousins and my one cousin spent a lot of nights with me. It was a wonderful place to grow up then, very middle class but hardly the ostentatious look a 'middle class' area is supposed to have now.

My cousins all moved to norcal, out in the sticks. My female cousin eventually moved there after her dad died. They liked it because it reminded them more of the place where they grew up than it was anymore. Before my uncle died in the late 80's they had severe problems with theft and drugs, and the population was largely hispanic, but he loved his home and stayed until the end.

Its interesting in the end how my cousins and I have all moved to places which in some way remind us of what home used to be. My grandmother and mom grew up in North Hollywood when it was called Lancaster and so I have deep roots in the valley.

As for those passes, expensive lesson but I would guess it was learned.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:35 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,184,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post

Other things that don't look nice but are more characteristic of age rather than location:
Power lines
Billboards
Billboards are more characteristic of neighborhoods with lower buildings, rather than the age of the neighborhood. A lot of L.A.'s districts are densely populated in that they have a lot of condos and apartments, but the commercial buildings are still only two or three stories high. When that happens, up the billboards go. It's a real blight on the city.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,287,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Poor performing schools
Trash
Pawn shops
Check cashing places
Restaurants with B and C ratings (though they are often the best, most authentic restaurants)
Graffiti
More than one family in a single family residence (which results in)
Residential streets packed with parked cars
Cars parked on lawns
Driveways with old boats/campers with blue tarps on them for 51 weeks of the year
Bars on the windows
Tacky religious statues in the front yard

Other things that don't look nice but are more characteristic of age rather than location:
Power lines
Billboards
You just described the vast majority of LA below Sunset...

Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 PM

416 posts, read 526,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusOCR View Post
The way you describe it, it sounds kind of awesome. The way others describe, not so much...
Van Nuys is pretty big so there are areas where one can be fooled into thinking hey not so bad. But's it's pretty bad. It has a strong ghetto vibe and I don't mean that in a negative sense per se but class/economy. 'Working class' some say, maybe if the only working class neighborhoods someone was familiar with was LA's. Compared to the rest of the country Van Nuys borders on ghetto.

Then there's the godawful summer that turns the area into a flat blanket of heat that no air conditioner can fully keep from your body.

Burbank is far, far, FAR better then Van Nuys as a place to live. And it's about 10 degrees cooler than the valley, so still hot but not DEVIL'S ANVIL hot.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:51 PM

68 posts, read 160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Van Nuys is pretty big so there are areas where one can be fooled into thinking hey not so bad. But's it's pretty bad. It has a strong ghetto vibe and I don't mean that in a negative sense per se but class/economy. 'Working class' some say, maybe if the only working class neighborhoods someone was familiar with was LA's. Compared to the rest of the country Van Nuys borders on ghetto.

Then there's the godawful summer that turns the area into a flat blanket of heat that no air conditioner can fully keep from your body.

Burbank is far, far, FAR better then Van Nuys as a place to live. And it's about 10 degrees cooler than the valley, so still hot but not DEVIL'S ANVIL hot.
Burbank is in the Valley.

If you look at the jet stream patterns, it's only the very south western tip of Burbank that is a bit cooler. NoHo, Studio City, Toluca Lake are the coolest parts of the Valley. Most of Burbank will be in the same heat pattern as Van Nuys.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 PM

174 posts, read 237,445 times
I used to visit my little Brother when he lived Van Nuys, 1980s. Was cool back then but today it's like all Hispanic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles