U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:38 PM

627 posts, read 2,039,918 times
Actually satire works quite well on the internet. Like any writing, it is all in the delivery. Regarding the Getty Center being white, this is not my experience at all. I frequent the Getty Center and am usually run over by the bus loads of children from all age groups and races taking tours or stumble over them sitting on the floors doing drawings.

There is a constant flow of these children throughout the day. Even more so then adults. The tours are also very interactive so the energy surrounding these many diverse groups of children is undeniably overwhelming. During the day many races and many ages of children overtake the place and it is a lovely sight to see. In fact there are very few white children to be seen in comparison to other races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
I'm sorry you have not figured out that my response was meant to be a comment on the question that was posed. Maybe perhaps that some people do not see LA in terms of which neighborhoods are what color. Guess that one went over your head. Satire does not work so well on the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 01:18 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One wouldn't think the demographics would change too much in seven years. However the economics (housing prices) have changed in an unprecedented way; And this may have a greater than typical influence on demographics.
Saw this nugget in today's World Champion Los Angeles Times. Offers some interesting information. Check out the associated table.
"Demographics have shifted dramatically in Los Angeles Unified School District schools over the last 20 years, and sports teams are proof of the changes.
Change is coming to high school sports in the City Section, and it's reflected in the demographic transformation taking place in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Thirty years ago, Canoga Park didn't have a soccer team and its student body was 65% Caucasian...."

from

It's an entirely new ballgame for the City Section's schools - Los Angeles Times

Not the same old - Los Angeles Times (broken link)

If you need a login and password to the LA Times (or many other news sources), try

Bugmenot.com - login with these free web passwords to bypass compulsory registration

Last edited by Charles; 12-11-2007 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,283,802 times
The change has been shocking, alot of long time residents just bury their heads, nobody believes it.

When you watch almost any 80's movie...ET, Karate Kid, Adventures in Babysitting, any 80's teen movie, almost any movie in California, thats really what it was like back then.

Was ET filmed in Northridge? Somewhere in the valley, look at the streets and how life was, its shocking.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:53 AM

11,944 posts, read 13,033,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
The change has been shocking, alot of long time residents just bury their heads, nobody believes it.

When you watch almost any 80's movie...ET, Karate Kid, Adventures in Babysitting, any 80's teen movie, almost any movie in California, thats really what it was like back then.

Was ET filmed in Northridge? Somewhere in the valley, look at the streets and how life was, its shocking.
Thousand Oaks IIRC.
I don't know if I'd consider all those movies that you mentioned to be an accurate description of life in California at the time - maybe Less Than Zero (ironic how Robert Downey's life turned out considering the role he played in that film), Fast Times At Ridgemont High, and Barfly but not the ones you mentioned. Colors was also more realistic than the films you mention (and gives an accurate view of racial perceptions of many white Angelenos - notice that the Latinos in that film come off much better than the blacks, there are both good and bad Latinos in Hopper's film but the blacks are depicted in an extremely negative light, I don't think Hopper was racist but he was just depicting the mentality of the average white Angeleno without endorsing it)

Karate Kid IIRC was set in Long Island and Adventures in Babysitting was set in Chicago, so those don't really apply.

American History X, although made in the late 90s, actually was based on events that occurred in the 80s, and I think gives an accurate portrayal of the downside of life in LA in the 80s. Don't forget Cisco Pike either (and yes I know it was made in the 70s)

BTW, many people in 80s LA thought it sucked compared to 60s LA which was regarded as the real golden age of the city, even people who were small children in the 60s.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 AM

This was pretty realistic "Dazed and Confused", reminded me of high school.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dazed_and_confused/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106677/

Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 AM

5,468 posts, read 7,849,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
Regarding the Getty Center being white, this is not my experience at all. I frequent the Getty Center and am usually run over by the bus loads of children from all age groups and races taking tours or stumble over them sitting on the floors doing drawings.

There is a constant flow of these children throughout the day. Even more so then adults. The tours are also very interactive so the energy surrounding these many diverse groups of children is undeniably overwhelming. During the day many races and many ages of children overtake the place and it is a lovely sight to see. In fact there are very few white children to be seen in comparison to other races.
This is interesting. I haven't visited there yet but I'm anxious to.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
This was pretty realistic "Dazed and Confused", reminded me of high school.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dazed_and_confused/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106677/
I also thought it reminded me of high school (although during the time period the film was set in I was going to Webster Jr. High and not yet Uni), but it was set in Austin. More proof how much Austin is like California...

Old 12-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I also thought it reminded me of high school (although during the time period the film was set in I was going to Webster Jr. High and not yet Uni), but it was set in Austin. More proof how much Austin is like California...

Webster? Out on Winter Canyon in Malibu? I went to OLM across the street, 1967-73.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Webster? Out on Winter Canyon in Malibu? I went to OLM across the street, 1967-73.
No. National and Sawtelle in West LA/Mar Vista.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 AM

19 posts, read 69,129 times
Well I thought it was funny.... The Getty Center is a giant white edifice in LA.

It's fascinating how all the areas besides the beaches are constantly changing. I read that Cheryl Tiegs went to an all white high school in Allhambre! Where did Cameron Dias go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles