Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 PM

188 posts, read 986,439 times

Advertisements

Mexican flag will be flying over city hall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 10:01 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,468,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
"Blade Runner," but in Spanish, not Cantonese.

The googleplex-rich, part of the new two-tiered Third World economic design of L.A. (the rest are the poor, natch) will not allow their holdings to be submerged in the global warming, but will contruct elaborate dyking systems a la The Netherlands (which ceased to be a country after its internal Islamo-civil war.)
I think by 2057 the super-rich will have pretty much abandoned LA as the results of warming become clear. OTOH the Inland Empire will love their new beachfront status....

In 2057. what's left of L.A. will be a few very poor people living in ruins that somehow managed to escape the tides.

And I doubt there will be any money for elaborate dyking systems by 2057. Think Louisiana, not the Netherlands. I even doubt your immigration dystopia ; by 2057 the US will probably be a country that sends immigrants elsewhere not a country that recieves immigrants. Canadians will be bitching and moaning about all those American illegal border jumpers.....

Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthtrader View Post
Mexican flag will be flying over city hall.
Perhaps San Bernardino, Fresno, or Vegas city hall. There won't be any LA.

BTW, the idea of Aztlan as I understand it having known some Aztlanists (including some very radical ones) is for a separate country, not unification with Mexico. If an Aztlan ever comes about it will involve not only parts of the US breaking off but parts of Mexico breaking off as well. Perhaps the north decides to go its own way after another revolution?

Old 11-22-2007, 10:14 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times

Lots of somber and pessimistic predictions.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Lots of somber and pessimistic predictions.
There's something about LA that just encourages apocalyptic thinking and dystopia. It's not just because of the movie industry being here that LA has been destroyed on film (and in print) more than any other city in the world (NYC and London being the runners up). I think there are deep cultural roots for this, as well as geography and histories of racial/ethnic tension.

Regardless, I don't think LA will survive global warming.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:40 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There's something about LA that just encourages apocalyptic thinking and dystopia. It's not just because of the movie industry being here that LA has been destroyed on film (and in print) more than any other city in the world (NYC and London being the runners up). I think there are deep cultural roots for this, as well as geography and histories of racial/ethnic tension.

Regardless, I don't think LA will survive global warming.
Dont worry Angelenos, it'll be okay.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Dont worry Angelenos, it'll be okay.
I do think global warming will present a challenge to LA that will surpass all disasters whether natural or man made that the city has faced in its entire history, and knowing LA's record in coping with disasters I'm not optimistic. (When it comes to natural disasters, we've got a better record than New Orleans or Miami - for example, no looting after the '94 earthquake even though it came at a time when racial tensions were worse than today and the King riots were still an immediate memory - but that's not saying much. )

Old 11-23-2007, 08:33 AM

236 posts, read 1,138,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I agree with LAAngel2008 ...global warming is somewhat of a hoax, sure average temps are rising a degree or two ...but the world has been both warmer and colder in the past .....70 million years ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth it was much warmer ....palm trees in what is the Great Plains .... recently "tree" fossils have been found on Ellesmere Island in the high arctic ....polution yes ....everyone can agree that's not a good thing and will get alot worse when China and India have more cars ...governments shud get moving on alternate fuels ...the technology is out there ...just need the will ....2057 ...hmmm....Los Angeles population will be at least 25 million and even Barstow will be considered a suburb !
I agree with you both!! The fact that Al Gore got the Nobel prize makes my opinion of the Nobel prize drop considerably. Mother Teresa, now there's a Nobel prize winner.

I am amazed to read that so many really think that Los Angeles will be under water in 50 years!!! Are you kidding me? So naive. In the '60s it was overpopulation; in the '70s it was the coming ice age; in the '80s it was acid rain...

I agree with the founder of the Weather Channel who says "It is the greatest scam in history. I am amazed, appalled and highly offended by it. Global Warming; It is a SCAM. Some dastardly scientists with environmental and political motives manipulated long term scientific data to create in allusion of rapid global warming." Okay, maybe not the greatest scam in history (yet), but I agree otherwise.

It makes me sick to think that so many politicians have played on peoples' emotions concerning this topic in order to bolster their numbers. Or maybe they themselves really do buy into this garbage. Our kids are being fed this cr@p in schools, and the result is a widespread bleak outlook on the future, much like the people on this thread.

I don't see LA being anywhere close to "underwater," but I do see it being much more technologically advanced. I think it will be extremely rare to find a person 100% from one race. I see public transportation being much more important due to the ineffectiveness of freeways being a "quick" way to get from here to there. Not that cars will be all bad since they will be mostly environmentally friendly by then and our reliance on fossil fuels will have dropped considerably. One optimistic view of the future (although again, some naive and uninformed ones will disagree that this is being optimistic) is that abortion will be a thing of the past. The people of Los Angeles (largely made up of christians of Mexican/Latino heritage in 50 years) will lead the country uncovering the reality of this situation to which much of the nation had been blinded for the past 80 years... a dark time in our history for sure. In addition, I do agree that LA will continue to grow and develop outward, maybe not so much that Barstow will even be a suburb as one poster said earlier, but not too far off.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:10 PM

274 posts, read 317,237 times
Mexico....

Old 11-24-2007, 01:35 AM

59 posts, read 158,732 times
LA in 2057? Ughhh... for starters, the traffic will be impossible. Most people living there will have to do their jobs via computer from home. Spanish will be the first language (afterall, it already is), most major companies will have packed up and left due to taxation problems (already happening). Schools will be terrible, hospitals will be busting at the seams, the sky will be gray, and the water will be brown (again, already happening).

And just to add to previous posts, I agree that global warming is a "cycle". Al Gore did not "discover" it. The Nobel Peace Prize lost creditability to me when he received it, but not as much as when they awarded it to Yassar Arafat. A "peace prize" to that war instigator??? Please.... but all this belongs on another thread.

I expect to be in a much better place come 2057!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles