Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:19 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,334,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Corona maybe, but certainly not Moreno Valley!

And both are exurbs to LA, too far out!
Exactly...it seems like it would be pointless to want to move to L.A and then move to Corona or Moreno Valley or somewhere that far out.

I live in the valley and don't even make it out to the Westside much on weekends... I work on the westside but just drive to work and back since traffic is so bad. This could also be because I grew up on the Westside , so hanging out there might not be as cool as if I had moved to L.A recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,032,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I wouldn't recommend Moreno Valley.
What's wrong with MV?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,188,464 times
Quote:

Both are working class areas.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:47 PM

305 posts, read 374,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
My wife and I are seriously considering moving to LA next year from Phoenix, though originally we lived in London (I'm English and my wife is American). We have visited Southern California enough to know we both like it a lot, and LA is a great city with culture, entertainment, history and coastline. I am white working class, having done unskilled type jobs like warehouse work, electric meter reading and delivery work.

From our research, we could sell our Arizona home and buy a condo in possibly Van Nuys or NoHo. The condo fees would roughly equal the costs of our home. So we'd be downsizing to live in a more interesting area basically. We'd lose the home, pool and large yard. But we'd swap that for all that LA has to offer. I am also hoping wages will be higher in LA than Phoenix.

But in essence my question is "what are our chances?"

I understand the demographic changes that California has gone through since the 70's. What were largely white areas are now Hispanic, with Korean and black mixed in. Diversity doesn't bother me greatly. Back in England we lived in a crime hotspot "ghetto" (entirely Pakistani and black) and while you had to act accordingly and be vigilant, it didn't bother me. But while it's not an issue for me, could it be an issue for resident Hispanics having a white couple move in?

I don't expect to be in danger just by living in an Hispanic area, so don't be offended please. My concern is more about work. I suspect I have lost out on a few jobs here in Arizona (pool work) because my face didn't fit in totally Hispanic companies. And since I'm interested in working class jobs, many of these companies may arguably be Hispanic. Please be open and honest here, whatever race you are. Do you think a white guy can do just as well in LA as a Hispanic or Korean these days? This isn't a race-bait question. I just need to know the real story.

Thanks
No law against it but...I think you're going to run into a bunch of BS. You would think that people of color would be more tolerant but, the reality is people have prejudices whether they're black, white, red, yellow, or brown. If you don't fit the majority or popular opinion (national, regional, local, worksite), then, you will deal with BS.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:00 AM

51,935 posts, read 52,363,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I wouldn't recommend Moreno Valley.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
What's wrong with MV?
I spent a lot of time out in MV about 15 yrs ago or so, It didn't seem all that bad then, but I haven't been there since. I recently was drving thru and had to get off the freeway to get some gas, and man... it sure has changed in 15 plus yrs. It looked run down and grungy and tons of homeless people around... I was actually surprised..

I think I heard that there are a lot of meth labs in the area... not sure though to be honest.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Ok, instead of Moreno Valley....move to NorCo.

But honestly, if you are moving to the IE, you might as well stay in Arizona. Decent working class jobs in the metro are slowly going away. You have retail and service jobs left, but they aren't going to pay enough. San Pedro was very working class because of the Port, but that is increasingly not the case anymore, most working class are in Wilmington now.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:35 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,519,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Both are working class areas.
Yes, but there is not a substantial white working class demographic in Moreno Valley.

Corona -- yes!

Riverside -- yes!

But not Moreno Valley!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, but there is not a substantial white working class demographic in Moreno Valley.

Corona -- yes!

Riverside -- yes!

But not Moreno Valley!
I won't disagree. I'll go to Moreno Valley for work sometimes, but I mainly deal with white people there. My experience is most likely not the norm and I'm not as familiar with the IE as I am with the Westside or South Bay.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 PM

75 posts, read 164,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
My wife and I are seriously considering moving to LA next year from Phoenix, though originally we lived in London (I'm English and my wife is American). We have visited Southern California enough to know we both like it a lot, and LA is a great city with culture, entertainment, history and coastline. I am white working class, having done unskilled type jobs like warehouse work, electric meter reading and delivery work.

From our research, we could sell our Arizona home and buy a condo in possibly Van Nuys or NoHo. The condo fees would roughly equal the costs of our home. So we'd be downsizing to live in a more interesting area basically. We'd lose the home, pool and large yard. But we'd swap that for all that LA has to offer. I am also hoping wages will be higher in LA than Phoenix.

But in essence my question is "what are our chances?"

I understand the demographic changes that California has gone through since the 70's. What were largely white areas are now Hispanic, with Korean and black mixed in. Diversity doesn't bother me greatly. Back in England we lived in a crime hotspot "ghetto" (entirely Pakistani and black) and while you had to act accordingly and be vigilant, it didn't bother me. But while it's not an issue for me, could it be an issue for resident Hispanics having a white couple move in?

I don't expect to be in danger just by living in an Hispanic area, so don't be offended please. My concern is more about work. I suspect I have lost out on a few jobs here in Arizona (pool work) because my face didn't fit in totally Hispanic companies. And since I'm interested in working class jobs, many of these companies may arguably be Hispanic. Please be open and honest here, whatever race you are. Do you think a white guy can do just as well in LA as a Hispanic or Korean these days? This isn't a race-bait question. I just need to know the real story.

Thanks
Spend a couple weeks in LA and drive around the different neighborhoods people recommend to get a feel for how it is. LA is large and every neighborhood offers something different.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 AM
ka8

50 posts, read 94,262 times
Don't worry about it. Just move and enjoy. We need more white people moving in to balance things out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles