Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:21 PM

14 posts, read 28,006 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We live in the South Bay area. We want to drive as close as possible to the Rose Parade, park our car, and take the metro and/or bus to get there and back. Do you recommend any good places to park our car?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 11:37 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
I took the Gold Line last year from Highland Park. The metered lots were full as well as local streets. It is probably worse around Pasadena and South Pasadena. Look south like starting from Heritage Square going south into Downtown or along the Red Line, too. I dont recommend taking any buses into Pasadena, because they are full and too many detours and major traffic before, during and after the parade. The parade starts at 8am, but doesnt start after 9am or later from Allen station near end of the parade. It's crowded on the train but not that bad and most people get off at old town pasadena where youll probably get a bad view anyways. Best to go to the end of it at Lake Station or Allen and maybe Sierra Madre but that station is a quite a walk, but closer to the float viewing that happens after the parade. I remember watching the parade on Tv for 40 minutes, then walked to the Gold Line got off Allen, walked 6 minutes down and the parade hasnt even started at that part of the route. It was after 9am. I was able to see the parade despite 2-3 rows in standing in front of me.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:59 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Union Station has the most parking, or you could park at a lot in Chinatown and walk over to Union Station for the Gold Line.

If you don't have grandstand seating, I'd go to the Sierra Madre Villa Station of the Gold Line and look for spots on Colorado Blvd.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:16 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
I strongly recommend getting on the Gold Line as well. I know Del Amo Station has a lot of parking spots: Blue Line to Red Line to Gold Line.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:55 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,621 times
Closest parking to Rose Bowl shuttle busses is at Parsons Engineering parking lot/structure. Busses are adjacent to lot. Parsons is the official parking for the shuttle. If you take Gold Line you still have to walk about 3-4 blocks to the shuttle busses next to Parsons. To others: is the parking garage at the end of the gold line on Sierra Madre Villa in east Pasadena an option or will it already be packed? Otherwise Union Station offers no hassle no time wasting parking.

To the OP: Go to MTA dot NET website for detailed info.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:41 PM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
The two best stations on the Gold Line to exit are the "Del Mar" and "Memorial Park" stations. Sierra Madre Villa stop is OK, but you'll be a minimum of 1.7 miles to reach the end of the parade route. The stations are crazy packed, especially after the parade, so be prepared.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
You need to be on the route early in the morning to get a good seat. A couple years back we were there by 5AM and still could not get a great seat. The best thing to do is either spend the night or show up around 2AM.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:44 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You need to be on the route early in the morning to get a good seat. A couple years back we were there by 5AM and still could not get a great seat. The best thing to do is either spend the night or show up around 2AM.
Yeah the one time we went we spent the night near Hill Street. This year we are hoping to just walk up to the parade since we live 3 blocks from Colorado. I'll keep an eye on this thread though because I may have a friend come visit from the South Bay like the OP!

Old 12-26-2015, 07:47 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Increased security at the Rose Parade this year.
What law enforcement officials are doing to keep the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl safe - LA Times

Last edited by CA4Now; 12-26-2015 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-28-2015, 08:38 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Ken Burns is the Grand Marshall this year. It's also Bob Eubanks and Stephanie Edwards' last year as KTLA's commentators for the parade.
Filmmaker and grand marshal Ken Burns sees Rose Parade from a good angle - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles