Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:01 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times

Advertisements

There's something I noticed in the LA Basin. Compared to other Metro areas in the country. There's a lack of Big Chain Restaurants like Applebees, Olive Garden, Cracker Barrel, Texas Steakhouse, Golden Corral etc that are found in most areas of the US. Those type of chains are found in Orange Country. But not so much in LA county.

It seems like most restaurants in this basin are localy owned and independent which I consider is a good thing. Because it gets montonious seeing the same type of chain restaurant going on cross country trips. LOL

Anyone else noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 02:36 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
I noticed the same thing with all of those sit down chains. Another thing I noticed is there might be a lack of the sit down chains but there seems to be a lot of fast food chains.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:44 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
You can find various chains in the valley.

I don't believe there are Cracker Barrel , Golden Corral , Texas steakhouse though.not sure if you can find these in Orange County though.

Lots of independent restaurants is one of the great things about LA.

Lots of good places to eat .

Chains do serve a purpose though, and usually Provide consistency in food and service .

I have to say though that there are big parts of the valley that seem to really be lacking in restaurants . Sometimes a chain will be the only option open for a sit down non fast food meal .

A lot different from the areas that have more of a nightlife scene like hollywood ,etc .

Old 12-24-2013, 06:32 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
There's something I noticed in the LA Basin. Compared to other Metro areas in the country. There's a lack of Big Chain Restaurants like Applebees, Olive Garden, Cracker Barrel, Texas Steakhouse, Golden Corral etc that are found in most areas of the US. Those type of chains are found in Orange Country. But not so much in LA county.

It seems like most restaurants in this basin are localy owned and independent which I consider is a good thing. Because it gets montonious seeing the same type of chain restaurant going on cross country trips. LOL

There's plenty of chain restaurants out in the suburbs. We don't have Texas Steakhouse or Cracker Barrel because those are regional, but there's no shortage of Applebees, Olive Garden, TGI Friday's, Red Lobster or Cheesecake Factory from what I can see. Some of the ethnoburbs don't have as many chains because immigrants either can't afford it or tend to prefer their own food, but overall I've never perceived us as 'lacking' in chain restaurants.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:12 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
Quote:

I think it is perceived less, because there are much more options. The chains are commonly found in mall commercial areas. LA has a lot of people willing to take other food types. You don't need to partner with a national chain to get acceptance and get people though the door. Also LA is filled with dreamers and self starter. Instead of paying hundreds of thousand on buildout cost for consistent branding, they invest in their own style.

But some specifics, Cracker Barrel doesn't want to pay California minimum wage. Operating a chain and franchise generally has a higher startup cost.

Last edited by thelopez2; 12-24-2013 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: didn't want to feed the troll

Old 12-24-2013, 08:28 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
The most-represented chains out here have plenty of locations from Woodland Hills to Riverside, including Chilis, Black Angus, Applebees, Olive Garden & others, since the rest of them don't wish to endure the very lengthy permitting process as well as our sky high prices for land.

Others have opened a location to test the market, only to fail and close up shop; think Ruby Tuesday.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
This is a very good thing. But unfortunately I see chains everywhere in the San Gabriel Valley.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
Reminds me of when I had friends visit from Minnesota. I made all these great restaurant recommendations and they insisted on going to Outback Steakhouse because they have it by their house back home and know what they like to order. I don't get that! But then again, I got happy when I went home to visit Texas and found Yogurtlan. that's one of my favorite things about LA...

Old 12-24-2013, 10:26 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Quote:

Count your blessings!

Old 12-24-2013, 10:27 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,089 times
The one chain I see everywhere in LA County is CPK. After that, it's mostly lower end chains like Baja Fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles