Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:41 PM

14 posts, read 29,017 times

Advertisements

Having family that can give you a place to stay will definitely be a big help. Now, two months isn't a long time. It's more than enough time to find a decent place to live, but finding a job may be more problematic. A GED or HS diploma doesn't mean much and I doubt that would help you get a job. Nearly everyone applying for entry level jobs is gonna have their diploma or GED. Competition for every job is tough in LA and the best way to get a job would be having a connection. With or without connections though, you'll have to make finding a job your full time job. Part of finding a job is definitely luck, but to some extent you create your own luck. If you spend a good chunk of your day browsing job ads, sending in quality applications, and following up with previous applications, you'll have a good chance of finding something that can at least help you survive.

Another thing to consider since you plan on going to school out here is out of state tuition. You may want to wait a year to establish residency before going to college. In the mean time you could look for film classes to take outside of college.

Definitely come out here and give it a shot though. I grew up in a small town too and I'm so glad I made the move. Don't spend 4 years going to school in a town you don't really like. Do what you want to do now. Also I wouldn't worry about driving around by yourself in a Honda, especially in NoHo. There are some ghetto areas in the Valley but for the most part it's not as bad as people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,584 times
Great post, thanks. I'm not too worry driving in a Honda in the valley. Mostly concern on the weekends when I'll be visiting my cousins in the South Gate / Lynwood area. I just heard Honda accord's are in the top 5 most carjacked vehicle(?) that's why I asked

Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 11,259 times
Lightbulb Film at 11:00... if you are serious.

Pardon me.. I had a rather long reply for you but much of it was off your topic. I promise to be more careful in my future replies and posts.

Last edited by SOGLAD; 01-02-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 04:19 PM

16 posts, read 17,167 times
I generally agree with what others have said here - part of the solution really is just kind of moving here. Wait a year before going to school, and spend that time looking hard for a job. I'm in a similar situation, somewhat - I grew up in LA, but wanted to go to school for Game Art/Design, for a reasonable price. So I found myself applying and being accepted to a school here in Denver, CO.

You're definitely off to a good start having two months to stay, perhaps even rent free, and a car and whatnot, as well as money saved up - I tried to plan as much as I could, but in the end, all I really could do was just sort of make the plunge. So I moved out here, before I was 18, no job, very little money, and didn't even have a place to live until the night before I arrived, haha. I had (and still have) financial support for my parents, but looking for a job seems to be something I'm not good at I have Work Study at school, which kind of holds me over for now, but it's not ideal. Though I must say, despite brief stints with homelessness (being homeless in the snow sucks!) and other forms of...not-fun-ness, it's been an overall blast I suppose I don't need to say this, but still, when applying for jobs, don't hesitate one second in bugging them - the more you get in their face, the better

As for where you'll be moving, you don't have much to worry about in the Valley, or even down in South Gate/Lynwood. I've been down in those areas a few times here and there, and from what I recall, nothing was really too bad. I wish ya luck, dude :P And hope you get everythin' sorted out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles